Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know ive posted this before but this time it got me good ! ive done every adjustment on my rear suspension to try to solve the quick rebound except re valve the shocks ! and now it has to be done. we were out riding the river today and i saw this nice place to get a little air :) well i got some air alright right over the top of my hood face first into the snow about 60 mph! ouch is all i have to say after i got ran over by my sled. i ride with two fingers on my brake at all times so when i went over the bars it broke both my fingers :blink: (very hard to type this post) i think this is more of a saftey issue now! chould have been much worse then a couple of fingers. thank god i walked away from it . i love everything about this sled except for the rear suspension!!! i should have re valved my shocks the first time this happend but i was always able to ride it out ! but not this time . as my shield got ripped of my helmet when i was sliding across the river and i came to a stop only to dig the snow out of my face and gather my self up :lol: think cat will pay for my doctor bill :lol: :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Is you sled a sno-pro?? I went over the handle bars a while back. It was my own fault, never land on the down side of a 4 ft snow bank when jumping out of a 15 ft sand pit. I feel for you. I was shot over the handle bars, hit the front of the sled with my helmet and ran my arm over with the ski. Didn't hurt myself, only pride. Man the thing shot me off like a catapolt. I guess stupid is as stupid does. :p :p

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Ron@Mar 9 2003, 09:46 PM
Is you sled a sno-pro?? I went over the handle bars a while back. It was my own fault, never land on the down side of a 4 ft snow bank when jumping out of a 15 ft sand pit. I feel for you. I was shot over the handle bars, hit the front of the sled with my helmet and ran my arm over with the ski. Didn't hurt myself, only pride. Man the thing shot me off like a catapolt. I guess stupid is as stupid does. :p :p
ive got the standard and boy was it a hell of a ride :lol: :lol: :lol: and you are so right about stupid is as stupid does :lol: i was telling myself as i was heading for it i should not be doing this!!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
We have a guy that rides with us and got tossed off twice, all of us ride F7S, ONE THING IS FOR SURE YOU BETTER BE HANGING ON TO THE HANDLE BARS TIGHTLY, we have hit the same bumps he has and he got thrown and we didnt.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine use to do this too; flying like superman over sharp bumps. The solution was taking out the coupler blocks. Reason being is with them, on sharp bumps the rear arms hit the blocks too early prematurely loading up the rear suspension, and bang! shoots you up faster than you can blink. I remember Rob suggesting taking them out, and I was skeptical. If I recall correctly his reasoning behind this was to help eliminate inside ski lift around corners. I didn't feel this change helped there, but much more significantly with the suprise bumps throwing my feet above my head; something I've NEVER experienced with all my ZR's. Now without the coupler blocks the sled is much more predictable over all types of terrain.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Never gone over the bars but have gotten thrown by the incredible rebound when the rear skid bottoms. This is a HUGE safty issue, I tore my rotator cuff by this stupid standard suspension, watched someone else about kill themself on my sled when we swapped for a mile, and have had MANY MANY close calls with this thing. Surprised Cat is not trying to protect themselves and keep this one out of the court rooms. It is definately being sold this year, may get a REV next year since I am not pleased with Cats suspension tuning. Heck, if their sleds are 1/2 as good as their modular helmets how could you go wrong?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with bigest cat. Take those coupler blocks out and she will ride like your old ZR's!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree this is a big handling/saftey issue as well as a reason why I'm not as fast as I should be on this sled.

This weekend I made lots of changes and settled with these:

1. took out the coupler blocks, 2. loosened up the preload on ski shocks 3.tighened up the preload on the front skid shock.

These changes helped but the tendency of this sled to jump in the air on the biggest bumps is still there. Cat should come up with a fix or tell us what revalving we should do.

I asked my dealer if he heard of others complaining of this. He's heard nothing. My guess is lots of folks don't ride hard enough to experience this situation.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been reading these posts, and I can't figure out what you're talking about. Are you saying the rebound in the year skid is enough to buck you over the front after a hard landing? :huh: I've had my F5 std flying and haven't run into any such thing.

My coupler blocks are out, and I keep the track spinning while I'm in the air. Do you think that the unloaded front shocks make a difference? I haven't loosened mine like many of you have...Also, are you guys looking over the hood when you're jumping instead of leaning back?

I'm not trying to minimize the problem, and certainly don't want to make light of someone's injury...I just can't figure this out!? Nobody I know of has had problems like these either... Am I missing something? :mellow:

P.S. green team7: The modular helmet is awesome...but if you're getting thrown on a Firecat, you better stay the hell away from a REV! :wacko:

·
Registered
65 Posts
for me this sensation doesn't occur during jumping or landing. It happens when going through a section moguls and it takes a real big one to bounce or fly the front end toward the sky. Visualize this. Rippen down a section of 1-2 footers at 35-40 mph. Everything feels great and the sled is sucking everything up (as it should). Then, there is a 3 footer. You hit it (without slowing down) and the front end heads for the sky. Holly shit. You get off the throttle, land and regroup for the next series of bumps. Thoughout this I never feel any of the shocks bottom.

It's on impact of the bump not landing. Feels like I'm bouncing like a ball. My guess is the rear shocks need more compression dampening.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wicked King, not to insult you but have you ridden a REV? There is no way that you could come dislodged from that thing. The foot holds on that sled are amazing, almost scary because if you had to bail I dont know if you could get out.

I really like the Firecat but the rear suspension is like that kitty cat in your picture. The AC engineers either never rode the standard agressively or had some 120 pound co-op go out and test it. The bottoming out is obsured. I have tightened both the rear torsion springs and the front skid coil over but nothing will cure this problem and I only weigh 180.

Combine the poor rear skid with no running board traction so your feet come out of the footwell when things get hectic and you have an disaster waiting to happen.

I dont get the flying to the sky sensation, just the bottoming out over bumps that the old 98 ZR would suck up.

Again, I think that if AC got the standard's rear skid issues sorted out and stamped dimples into the running boards they would have a top notch sled. But until then, that REV is pretty appealing!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by green team7@Mar 10 2003, 02:59 PM
Wicked King, not to insult you but have you ridden a REV?

I really like the Firecat but the rear suspension is like that kitty cat in your picture
:lol: :lol:

No...I actually haven't. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek. And don't be afraid to insult me...I've got thick skin! :lol: (but be nice) ^_^

I think from the last couple of posts I've figured out what you're talking about. Do you think the HCS.com suspension set-up is adding to the trouble? If the front shocks are backed off and the limiters and rear skid are all set for a more "nose heavy" sled, it stands to reason that the rear skid will be more jumpy than usual. But as far as constantly bottoming out, I don't know what to think. I'm 225 :unsure: and haven't had the bottoming-out like you have. No...I'm not a wuss. I ride it hard and treat it bad. :p

Put no faith in these comments whatsoever, only my opinions. I just drive sleds...I don't design them. :D

BTW I put 80 feet on the Kitty Kat the other day. Didn't corner for shit. :lol:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
There was definately some confusion in the HCS set up. The standard does not take well to the loosening up of the front skid spring. I actually tightened mine up and helped. I am glad that you are not experiencing the same problems that I am. I have another friend with a standard also and his is bottoming also.

Need to pull down the limiter straps on that Kitty Cat to get it to turn. Boy does that bring back memories, I had one of those....tracked every inch of snow in my parents yard. Even took first place at the grass drags on it!!!!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by GreenTeam@Mar 10 2003, 02:40 PM
It's on impact of the bump not landing. Feels like I'm bouncing like a ball.
green team you said it just right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts