Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Dual runner bars remove most of the darting in snow/trails that have set-up hard with ruts from previous sleds skis. Spring riding makes this very obvious, and no amount of adjustments is going to remove this trait, short of installing skis with multiple keels.
Tracking is not darting. Darting is a setup problem. I have no problem with either. Not saying my sled won't follow tracks, but in neither situation are duallies the cure.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have no doubt they are a cool sled. Just wondering who is actually going to order one and if they will flop. I think they could sell a lot if they were on dealer floors. But most people have lost there local AC dealer and don't even know where to order one
I've been seeing a shitload of older sleds out on the trails this winter. Today at one bar there had to have been 10 old ZR's & Crossfires, at another bar a crapload of older Polaris's and on the trail a group of Doo's. All of them appeared to be having fun without having $12-15K machines. Doubt 65hp would excite them but I still strongly feel if they could put the 600 in one and a better skid/ZR front end and IFP shocks, then offered them for $9K they'd sell. Honestly, on the twisty windy trails we were on today 65hp would have been just fine leading the group I had in tow. I feel it's important to offer a 600 in this chassis because of many people's ego's that don't want others to know they're rocking a 65hp one popper, but would have no trouble saying they are riding a 600, even if they ride slow. I honestly enjoy my 85hp Sno Pro as much or more than my 135hp Sno Pro most of the time.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I've been seeing a shitload of older sleds out on the trails this winter. Today at one bar there had to have been 10 old ZR's & Crossfires, at another bar a crapload of older Polaris's and on the trail a group of Doo's. All of them appeared to be having fun without having $12-15K machines. Doubt 65hp would excite them but I still strongly feel if they could put the 600 in one and a better skid/ZR front end and IFP shocks, then offered them for $9K they'd sell. Honestly, on the twisty windy trails we were on today 65hp would have been just fine leading the group I had in tow. I feel it's important to offer a 600 in this chassis because of many people's ego's that don't want others to know they're rocking a 65hp one popper, but would have no trouble saying they are riding a 600, even if they ride slow. I honestly enjoy my 85hp Sno Pro as much or more than my 135hp Sno Pro most of the time.
I agree with you. But as far as AC making a come back they need to sell sleds. There going to have to sell a lot of cheap blast sleds, and people will have to order them 6 months ahead of time.

Where people are lining up at doo, poo dealers and dropping 15K+ on high profit sleds just to get the latest and greatest thing. People go on facebook marketplace after the first snow and buy there kids used 600s for 2-5K. Not 8k+ sleds they had to of ordered 6 months before hand. I really hope this sled does well but it seems like to me Textron is doing a lot of things wrong

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I agree with you. But as far as AC making a come back they need to sell sleds. There going to have to sell a lot of cheap blast sleds, and people will have to order them 6 months ahead of time.

Where people are lining up at doo, poo dealers and dropping 15K+ on high profit sleds just to get the latest and greatest thing. People go on facebook marketplace after the first snow and buy there kids used 600s for 2-5K. Not 8k+ sleds they had to of ordered 6 months before hand. I really hope this sled does well but it seems like to me Textron is doing a lot of things wrong
it's going to take a major overhaul of everything including the full sized sleds to get people to jump over to Cat's at this point. no '850', 2012 chassis and a lack of general excitement ain't helping them.

·
Registered
801 Posts
it's going to take a major overhaul of everything including the full sized sleds to get people to jump over to Cat's at this point. no '850', 2012 chassis and a lack of general excitement ain't helping them.
And it's everything else they are doing, I raised my eyebrows with my kid (he has my old 800 Procross) when we got together and said, "hey lets go to the Snow Show and see what's new" and when we got there, no Arctic Cat or Yamaha. First thing i thought was Hmmm, what's up with this? Next thing was how on earth is a move like this going to increase sales? It won't. It can't. Only thing not going to a new product show does is decrease your sales, and right in front of your competition no less cause Doo and Poo were there (and everyone was yuckin it up too) what a slap in the face of your customer base.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
And it's everything else they are doing, I raised my eyebrows with my kid (he has my old 800 Procross) when we got together and said, "hey lets go to the Snow Show and see what's new" and when we got there, no Arctic Cat or Yamaha. First thing i thought was Hmmm, what's up with this? Next thing was how on earth is a move like this going to increase sales? It won't. It can't. Only thing not going to a new product show does is decrease your sales, and right in front of your competition no less cause Doo and Poo were there (and everyone was yuckin it up too) what a slap in the face of your customer base.
Blows my mind that they waited until RIGHT after all these huge snowmobile shows to release the new 2021 sleds. They could have had them at the shows for everyone to see and get people ordering them.

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
IMO

I rode the ZR Blast at ERX also. The thing rips pretty good. I definitely wouldn't call it a kids sled. I didn't ride the other 2 versions because the line was pretty long and I don't see myself buying one. I'm not impressed with the looks of the sleds.
Appearance is an important attribute to me in buying a sled.

In response to some side threads on this thread I run strictly Arctic Cats staggered carbides. Most people don't know they come in 3 versions. my wife uses the least aggressive. I run the medium aggressive on my 7000 with 96 studs. Also on my ZR 4000 RR with out studs. I run the 4 bolt most aggressive ones on my ZR 6000 with studs. They eliminate darting and handle great for our riding style. I've owned close to 50 Arctic Cat:ermm:s and can't say any were way out of wack alignment wise. I set up sleds for my buddy, a Cat dealer, one fall when he was short handed. Aligning the skis weren't part of the set up regimen.

As far as leftover sleds, the good deals are mostly long gone. 6000 models are scarce in our market area. Used prices are increasing with each snowstorm. I think Textron / Arctic Cats plan is to clean out the pipeline and stream line all their product line. On that note if they're monitoring any of this. They have 0 models for 2021 I'm interested in.

ZR 6000 in white? YUCK! Riot 6000 in only one color! How F ing hard is it to give 2 engine choices? I'm out.

Reactions: p51mstg

·
Registered
83 Posts
two big misses in my book.

1. The price
2. Overall Marketing

Make this sled $5,000 to compete with the Indy EVO and bingo, you are in the arena. Interesting to see if someone brings this sled to ISOC and they setup some classes for racing for them for snow cross. Or oval racing.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

1. The price
2. Overall Marketing

Make this sled $5,000 to compete with the Indy EVO and bingo, you are in the arena. Interesting to see if someone brings this sled to ISOC and they setup some classes for racing for them for snow cross. Or oval racing.
The Evo is a loss leader for Polaris and does not even come close to the performance of the Blast by all accounts of people riding them. No reason to sell a sled at a loss either.

·
Registered
83 Posts
and there's zero reason to spend $8,000 on a single cylinder 500 unless it's a Honda CR 500 from Service Honda.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
and there's zero reason to spend $8,000 on a single cylinder 500 unless it's a Honda CR 500 from Service Honda.
So your saying if the Blast was a twin cylinder 400 then it would be worth $8000 :dunno:

At least there is 3.5 brands to choose from for 2021 might only be two after 2021 then watch the prices go up and choices of manufacture models less.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts

1. The price
2. Overall Marketing

indy evo is a profit loser (loss leader) parts bin sled from an old chassis and old fan cooled engine and not selling well, even according to polaris guys on hcs. the Blast is modern, where as the Evo is a Blast from the past.

AJ shows just how easy/cheap it is to bring an Evo to Blast sized specs
http://www.supertraxmag.com/videoportal/snowtrax-tv-2020---episode-4/227
https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/shop/accessories/shocks-suspension/2884251/ + 6 hours of labor if you aren't handy and don't have the proper tools.
https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalasse...-suspension/2884251_9930729r01.pdf?v=78451e7a

in comparison to the $14-15K sleds Doo/Poo is selling, 7500 isn't really terrible, and good used sleds sure are bringing premium asking prices here in the upper midwest. bet I could sell either of my snopro's now for the same or more than I paid for them after piling a few thousand miles on each of them.

would be cool to see the kids racing them, but against who/what? no one else is making a 400cc or single cylinder sled, yet. can't wait for the inevitable jokes if Polaris ever releases the 4:20 :laff:

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000RR
2,963 Posts
My buddy from college was out west at some ski resort and they went on a "snowmobile tour" and the place had indy 550s. Made me think I could see a market like that as a good avenue for Cat to sell a bunch of LTs or even ZRs if they market it to those places (I'm sure they won't).

It also got me looking into the 550 indy and its specs a little more (its realistically more comparable to the blast than an evo is) its the same price as as a ZR blast, and the LXT version (comparable to the LT Blast) is more expensive while the Cat has way more tech. I think if they keep advertising this thing right and getting people out to ride it they might sell more than you'd think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So your saying if the Blast was a twin cylinder 400 then it would be worth $8000 :dunno:

At least there is 3.5 brands to choose from for 2021 might only be two after 2021 then watch the prices go up and choices of manufacture models less.
No not really,

The blast is a great idea, the specs are right in the size department, the price is what gets me. There are plenty of old Indy lights out there on craigs list to get the youth into snowmobiling. Or other brands like 380 fanners or 440 liquid cooled sleds.

Loss leaders aren't the end of the world because eventually you will in theory sell enough of them to cover the cost. Also the other aspect is going to be the add on sales of oil belts, covers, accessories etc.

To me the price and the value aren't there.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
No not really,

The blast is a great idea, the specs are right in the size department, the price is what gets me. There are plenty of old Indy lights out there on craigs list to get the youth into snowmobiling. Or other brands like 380 fanners or 440 liquid cooled sleds.

Loss leaders aren't the end of the world because eventually you will in theory sell enough of them to cover the cost. Also the other aspect is going to be the add on sales of oil belts, covers, accessories etc.

To each there own. To me this is a great value. You can buy two of these for the price of one 850 Polaris. Will bring new riders into the fold and will keep the older interested in the sport. Not everyone needs a sled that can go 100 mph.

·
Registered
83 Posts
To each there own. To me this is a great value. You can buy two of these for the price of one 850 Polaris. Will bring new riders into the fold and will keep the older interested in the sport. Not everyone needs a sled that can go 100 mph.
Understood,

But who in their right mind would buy a new rider a 850 right out of the gate?

Any or most people that are new to the sport aren't buying new 850's right out of the gate they are looking for entry level sleds, 600's or less, that are used and moderately priced.

I just think that your going to be hard pressed to find people buying a $8,000 mid sized single cylinder snowmobile.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Understood,

But who in their right mind would buy a new rider a 850 right out of the gate?

Any or most people that are new to the sport aren't buying new 850's right out of the gate they are looking for entry level sleds, 600's or less, that are used and moderately priced.

I just think that your going to be hard pressed to find people buying a $8,000 mid sized single cylinder snowmobile.
there's a lot of people now in this world with zero mechanical ability or technical aptitude to fix the old sleds. there's plenty of people with money that want to buy a sled, get on it, ride it and if there's an issue take it to their dealer under warranty or pay to get it repaired. so when discussing used sleds and comparative pricing keep in mind that the same people I'm mentioning above look at them as used machines which will break that they likely wouldn't be able to fix or maintain. the 400 with 65hp can probably get plenty of newbies, kids and wives in trouble, and to offer a 7/8th sized sled for rental fleets might be ideal. so, possibly offering sleds for under $8k to these types isn't a terrible idea after all. it will be interesting to see if they actually sell, and for the sake of Cat at this point I hope they do.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
there's a lot of people now in this world with zero mechanical ability or technical aptitude to fix the old sleds. there's plenty of people with money that want to buy a sled, get on it, ride it and if there's an issue take it to their dealer under warranty or pay to get it repaired. so when discussing used sleds and comparative pricing keep in mind that the same people I'm mentioning above look at them as used machines which will break that they likely wouldn't be able to fix or maintain. the 400 with 65hp can probably get plenty of newbies, kids and wives in trouble, and to offer a 7/8th sized sled for rental fleets might be ideal. so, possibly offering sleds for under $8k to these types isn't a terrible idea after all. it will be interesting to see if they actually sell, and for the sake of Cat at this point I hope they do.
They are selling pretty well. Local dealer has had lots of inquiries on these sleds because what you said about the used market is so true. I will never in my life buy another used sled. To many unknowns with them. Hell, I may even trade one of my 600's in on one once I get to ride them (Sunday in Bemidji). I am done with speed. I want comfort and warmth.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts