Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode new snowmobile at event in ERX. The evaluation was compromised do to location on beat up track at ERX. I thought it was a good machine on a bad demo track. I grabbed a 6000 for comparison. With the bigger machine the bumps seemed a bit smaller but only in proportion to the small difference in the size of the machine. The short track ZR4000 took the bumps same as the long track LT4000. The machine does not feel like 3/4 size instead it feels more like 7/8 size. This is not a kids toy. It is a quality product. It was not bouncy like a old Polaris Indy Light. Fit and finish was great but just a bit spartan with regard to features. The engine was the star of the show. It was much quieter than the bigger 2-strokes and somehow smoother. It did not sound like a old one lunger. It was not quick to rev but pulled harder than expected at speed. The clutch did not engage as smooth as the Team clutch but it was close. My only complaint was how it tracked. It felt like it had little or no caster (trail in motorcycle terms). It took little effort to hold it in a turn but sometimes that steer force would go away or even go negative causing the machine to dart. Both the long track and the short track Blast 4000 machines behaved the same. The skis and rake angle looked the same as the 6000. On that test track the 6000 also darted but to a lesser degree. Go figure. It may have been just setup. Get this issue resolved and with a good windshield I think one could post a high mileage day on this machine.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Good to hear someone got to ride them. Thanks for sharing your observations - was curious about that motor.

I'm hoping to attend one of the dealer showings in Feb/March this year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are the steering issues similar on a mountain sled? I've never ridden one, but the blast shares the mountain spindles so I wonder if that's where the issues come from

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
a short 400lb sled needs dualies???? I disagree and would bet it's like most new sleds coming out of TRF and the skis aren't properly aligned. this is a known q.c. issue. for 2021 Cat is going to single runners on all their 2S trail sleds. the one thing that might make them dart around a bit is the narrow ski stance not following the ski tracks of wider stance most new sleds utilize. if dealers are getting these as demo's I hope their techs align them right away or it's not going to help matters.

·
Registered
20,174 Posts
I have never had to adjust my steering on any of my Cat sleds that I have bought through out the years. Not sure what to make of that comment.
Measure one out. all 5 of my procross sleds have not been right from the Factory. It’s amazing how much better they track with the skis set right and doing nothing else.

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
4,146 Posts
The steering feeling could be due to light weight as well. I had a Formula S 380 that i put 5000mi on and it was always that kinda feel in the steering. I attributed it to the lightness of the machine that didn't "bite" into the snow without the weight of the Formula Plus I also had at the same time that did due to the weight.

Steve

1,298 Posts
How does it ruin it? All my sleds run dually runners. Would never go back, but being 52, I am not into hard core running anymore. I trail ride these days. Usually big mile days. Going to try to get up to Bemidgi for a demo in a couple of weeks. Unless my local has some in to try.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
How does it ruin it? All my sleds run dually runners. Would never go back, but being 52, I am not into hard core running anymore. I trail ride these days. Usually big mile days. Going to try to get up to Bemidgi for a demo in a couple of weeks. Unless my local has some in to try.
I am looking to hear more feedback on them also. Be sure to post if you do.

Ignore him.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Measure one out. all 5 of my procross sleds have not been right from the Factory. It’s amazing how much better they track with the skis set right and doing nothing else.
I have had many cats, but the newer ones, three Twin Spars and two Procross have been horribly misaligned from the factory. One of the Procross sleds, my XF 8000 had one ski toed in over 1/4 of an inch. Couldn't even drive the damned thing from the trailer to the garage!
Just bought a new Ski Doo Renegade for the wife today.....Curious to see how well it's set up.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
I have never had to adjust my steering on any of my Cat sleds that I have bought through out the years. Not sure what to make of that comment.
from the factory the ski's are not installed, the dealer puts them on and if the dealer does not set the toe... well.

seems as though we were just talking about this?

maybe some well placed chunks of angle iron under the ski's would help? :lol3:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
from the factory the ski's are not installed, the dealer puts them on and if the dealer does not set the toe... well.

seems as though we were just talking about this?

maybe some well placed chunks of angle iron under the ski's would help? :lol3:
Well I have bought sleds from three different dealerships. I guess they care because my steering has been spot on. Had a 2015 6000 LXR, tracked straight as an arrow from day on. My 18 from a different dealer and again perfect. My 2020 has even been better. Call me lucky I guess. Just ride and have fun and be safe out there.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Well I have bought sleds from three different dealerships. I guess they care because my steering has been spot on. Had a 2015 6000 LXR, tracked straight as an arrow from day on. My 18 from a different dealer and again perfect. My 2020 has even been better. Call me lucky I guess. Just ride and have fun and be safe out there.
that's wonderful and consider yourself fortunate as many have not had such good luck, but if they are aligned correctly they certainly shouldn't 'need' dualies or any sort of steering/tracking band-aid's imo.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
They push, don't turn, add drag and solve nothing that you can't resolve if you just spend a wee bit of time setting up your sled. I am close to your age, your life isn't over, you can still ride. Spend some time setting up your sled and get rid of those monstrosities.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
They push, don't turn, add drag and solve nothing that you can't resolve if you just spend a wee bit of time setting up your sled. I am close to your age, your life isn't over, you can still ride. Spend some time setting up your sled and get rid of those monstrosities.
I have mine set up and it does not push, turns just fine and the buttery smooth steering makes me feel pretty good. I personally will never go back to single runners. I don't even use them on my fish house sled.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Remember also that these sleds do not have a sway bar on them in there present form. Had a 91 Jag AFS and it could get quite squirrelly in certain conditions.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts