Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where to start, two days after Christmas last year I decided to treat myself to a new sled as my then 2000 ZR-700 was coming up on 7500 miles. Went out and bought an 02 800 cce carb. Great sled, at least I though so until I rode it as over the season it broke down pretty much each and every weekend with the following,
-3x recoil failure
-on third time took out stator
-5x shock and or hose failures
-spark plug cap failure
-servo motor failure
-fuel line in tank collapsed cutting off fuel supply
-fuel leak at tank connection
-thumb heater fell off
-2x decals peeled off the belly pan
-decals peeled off spindles
-delcal fell off the back of the tunnel
-poor fitting hood
-loads up and fouls plugs
-poor mileage
-grease fitting missing from skid frame (5 wk back order)
After countless e-mails/letters/phone calls no one even had the courtesy to reply until I contacted the BBB. Shortly after my letter to them (two or three days) a call came from a gentleman at AC consumer affairs and a letter from Judy Stavenes both of who assured me they would do WHAT EVER it took to remedy the issues and further stated they would extend the warranty on my sled until DEC 03.
This was in April after an entire season of misery with this sled but I was calm figuring that at least next season would be better.

They then did the following,

-replaced needles/seats/floats
-servo cables
-replaced the entire hood-this one fits as the first one should have
-replaced belly pan decals
-replaced all idler wheels (rubber flaking off + seized bearings)
-updated my front skid shock again
-replaced the recoil again (finally got the updated part)

So here I am a year later and still don't have a reliable sled as it still loads up and fouls plugs at either slow speeds or idling for anything more than a brief moment. (Yup its done it since day one)
It now turns out when the current dealer I'm taking it to ran the serial number for warranty coverage it DOES NOT HAVE EXTRA WARRANTY AS I WAS TOLD but instead I've had to wait (at least the first time I tried three weeks ago) for just under two weeks for a return call from consumer affairs. They then authorized the carbs taken appart again which turned up nothing but will not go beyond doing that.
I missed an extended trip last season and may very well miss a trip around Algonquin Park this year because I bought a sled that AC can not seem or care to fix.

Come on AC, I've been calm/cool and polite but this is rediculous and unfair. I know all the mfgs turn out a lemon from time to time but its long overdue that you call this one back home.....................replace it.

Rick.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I have a 02 ZR 600 efi cross country....one word sums up the numerous weekly problems.............JUNK!

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Originally posted by zr sled head@Feb 3 2003, 04:45 PM
-3x recoil failure
-on third time took out stator
Just happened to my F7. Extent of damage unknown as of right now, but looks like I need a new magneto assembly (including the stator), recoil assembly and tach/speedo. Don't know if anything else is damaged.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
F-250,
Its very strange how some have so many problems while others are mint. The guys I know with the same sled that are not having much if any trouble. Their sleds are all late production opposed to mine which is an early production. Could that be a clue......ya never know.
Both dealers I've been to agree my sled is extra clean/well looked after and definately not abused.
I guess its just one of "those sleds", could be yours falls into the same catagory.
Good luck with yours, I'm fed up with mine.

Rick.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sounds like AC repaired everything you asked for, what more do you want! If I was that dissapointed with my sled I would trade it in on something new and let dealer have the headache. By the way I thought it was great to ride a ZR 8.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jughead,
Why would you think it reasonable that I should incur the expense of trading a sled in that I've already bought and paid for when it has not run anything close to properly or been reliable since the first time out? I'm not asking anything more than what I bought and paid for, a sled that runs and performs as it should have from day one instead of a substandard unit that has managed to ruin most every weekend I've owned it.

You may be in the position to take a huge hit and blow away a problem sled but I'm not, nor should I have to finance a new sled because they can't seem to figure out whats wrong with the one I already own.

Rick.

·
Registered
191 Posts
First of all Rick if I look at your so called troubles with your sled, alot of them wouldn't of kept you from riding, (peeling decals, poor fitting hoods and thumb warmers falling off). The only things that would of kept you from riding would of been the carb problem and the shock failure. I own the same sled and had almost all the same problems and never missed any weekend rides. My dealer allways seemed to have my sled ready for the weekend. There's something to be said about customer loyalty to their dealers, did you buy your sled from nearest dealer or did you drive an hour out your way to save a hundred bucks and then when your sled broke down asked the local dealer to fix it, did you? :angry:

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Trading doesn't help. I had an 01 zr 600 with problems: shocks, circlip come loose and blew the cylinder, exhaust valves, sero motor, and the 10 time fix on the chaincase leak. So I traded................and got stuck with another one. I hate to say it, but I think its my LAST time!

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My so called problems? The first 2/3 of the season I couldn't get past a Saturday afternoon without either blowing a shock line or having the front shock go flat and on the weekends that didn't happend I was either out in the cold trying to repair the recoil or being towed........yea that sounds like tons of fun. Further I guess you can't stop at most road crossings either cause your sled loads up and fouls plugs. Neither the AC rep or either of the dealers have denied this sled has been anything but a problem since minute one nor have they so much as hinted that any of the problems are due to neglect/abuse/operator error, so where you get off is beyond me.
No I did not shop price but yes I purchased from the closest dealer that had the sled I wanted in stock. Yes both dealers in my area were willing to do a dealer trade to get the one I wanted but not without me waiting an additional week for a sled that was just over an hour away. I can only assume they had already sold all the sleds they cared to.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
jughead,
Perhaps you consider delivering your sled to the dealer every Monday A.M. and returning to pick it up on Fridays and acceptable practice but I'd consider it completely unacceptable. And considering the issues ZR Sled Head is encountering, I'm sure the quality of his weekend "only" riding was considerably diminished.
Personally, I ride the same sled and have experienced only a very few minor problems (so far) but would be in quite a predicament if I had. I don't trailer my sled, nor do I have access to it during the week as it is stored at our rather remotely located cottage to which I commute. Essentially, should I have experienced those issues I would have been forced to purchase a trailer, store it somewhere, and sacrifice my precious Sat. a.m. and Sun. p.m. riding time to run the sled back and forth to the dealer plus incurr the transportation expenses to do so. AC had gone out of there way trying to remedy his sled but it appears that they have now thrown their hands in the air and turned there back on it. And without successfully correcting it's apparent defects.
IMO, AC needs to give this very patient, reasonable customer some satisfaction, not the cold shoulder.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Musk, the line in your post says it all " AC has gone out of there way to fix this sled" and that was my point to this post. Is it AC's fault that the dealer can't fix these problems after having several attempts to do so.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
jughead,
AC has pulled the plug on their efforts to make the sled right, and yes, after much effort, make that fruitless effort by each of the dealers, AC and it's owner. I have the same sled with none of those issues. His is a LEMON. AC should replace it if there factory trained catmaster tech's can't make it right. I'm certainly thankful it wasn't me who received that particular sled. Others should thank there lucky stars as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ZR sled head,
Sounds like that is a lemon from day 1. If AC will NOT help you, maybe it's time to contact your state's Attorney General Office, Bureau of Consumer Protection. In PA, our AG's Consumer Protection Bureau will take a complaint and then mail the complaintant a report for them to fill out, with all related documentation and evidence, then you mail it back and they decide from there. If you do not have that option, you can always contact an attorney. Maybe then you can get more assistance

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks John,
I'am exploring other options as we speak and hope that somehow/sometime soon this will be resolved.

Rick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts