Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any idea how many "trail" miles it is from Munising to Iron Mountain? I am planning a trip to Munising in February and was wondering if this is a realistic overnight trip. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I would say it's very "doable" if you have the snow. There are two routes I believe....stay high across and then come south on the trail south of republic.....or you can drop south out of gwinn....through northland, zig zaggin around....seems I read a page last year about a trip from Gwinn, to Knotty Pine, to Felch, (MAYBE to Iron Mountain) but west and then north toward republic and back to gwinn. It was a day ride, and the author wrote about making pit stops on that trip. Was in Mich. Snowmobile News.

I have NOT ridden from Munising to Gwinn. My camp is near "Ralph". My buddies rode from Munising to my camp several years ago, south from Gwinn, to Knotty Pine bar, and ran north up the side of highway 426 on gravel for 12 miles....(duh) and it took them about 3 hours.....Cant give you an accurate timeframe, but if you get rollin and dont screw around you should have no problem makin the mountain. NO GAS between Gwinn and Republic, first opportunity will be in Sagola, on highway 95 north of Iron Mountain, unless you hook north to Republic..I would go south, and run the road, Leeman road, west to sagola. You will have a long run on the shoulder of paved road to do it. Usually some tracks to chase to get you there, but cannot tell you if that will be the case. If you go south out of Gwinn, instead of the below route, I cannot tell you WHERE you will find gas unless you run north up the road a couple miles to arnold on co rd 426 from the Knotty Pine bar.

If you take north route, from Gwinn and go west to Republic trail, you can save some big time south of gwinn, where the trail hits county rd 438/or G38/or 581, whichever sign they felt like puttin up.. If you got good snow, stay with the road till you come out in Ralph. Go west out of Ralph, on turner road (only paved 1/2 mile, then plowed gravel the rest of the way across to the powerline.)

The snowmobile trail south out of republic crosses turner road about 12 miles west of Ralph, give or take. Bottom of a big hill ya turn left.

If you take turner road west from ralph, should see the signs for the trail on the north side, it crosses a big potato field, hits the turner road, goes west to the bottom of the hill 400 yards, and goes left (south), at that point it's a powerline road. If you cross rail road tracks coming from Ralph, going west ON THE TURNER ROAD, towards Channing you went too far, turn around. The trail went south and you missed it.

If you take the road, you miss some really pretty country.....and dont let above confuse you, some of the trail from Gwinn to republic uses the route I just gave you. It jumps on and off 438 until 438 hooks south to Ralph, the trail continues west on AIMONE road. (Named after Caesar Aimone-- Prounouced Imonee) He had windmills and battery banks set up and had the convenience of electricity at his house, not far from that intersection, more than 40 years ago. The electricty STOPPED north of Ralph 2 miles. This is several miles north. Airplanes used to use his home for navigation landmarks. Watch for Al Capones ghost cause he used to hide out just south of that intersection.

(no charge for the history lesson)

Gary's Knotty Pine I hear has a good burger...not sure if he is still running the groomer or not, but they welcome snowmobilers.

Solberg's Bar and Supper Club in Felch, I can only tell about their prime rib dinner, a steal at their prices.

In Sagola at the gas station, there's a small fast food type thingy goin on. They have hotdogs, pasties, nachos, quick pick me ups small booths, to sit at, a party store, and limited snowmobile stuffs. I think there is a pub across the parking lot as well. Look at a road map...youre not far from Crystal Falls either.

If you want to discuss it on the phone, PM me your TX and we can get into further detail, or I can explain the above jibberish a bit better.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Does anybody have any idea how many "trail" miles it is from Munising to Iron Mountain? I am planning a trip to Munising in February and was wondering if this is a realistic overnight trip. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott[/b]
Should be easy, (Insanity is correct) just head north towards Republic then towards Marquette and then on to Munising. Plenty of snow on the trails. More to see on the Northern route, stop by and see Lukennan land outside of Marquette towards Munising.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you VERY much for all of the information. Our plans are still hingeing on how many will be in our group, what sleds they are bringing and their riding abilities. These are the constants: We will be in Munising the 3rd week in Feb. We want to do one overnight ride somewhere preferably not East since we rode Newberry a few years ago. Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks,
Scott[/b]
150ish... I would suggest to keep it SIMPLE....Trail #8 west....To Trail #5 south....To Trail #2 west into Iron Mt...Best trail access in I.M. is from the Comfort Inn...Best food in I.M. is at Romagnoli's...Less than a 5 minute walk from the motel....Plenty of gas along those routes.... If the trails are in anything close to GOOD condition you can make this run in less than 5 hrs SEAT TIME if you ride at a good pace... Gas can be TRICKY around I.M.... But I can get you mapped to the nearest station if you decide to make this run....
http://www.fishweb.com/recreation/snowmobile/trails/cup.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all of you. Would it be better to stay across the top of the state and head to L'Anse or Houghton/Hancock? If this is a decent run do you know of accomodations? Sorry to keep asking so many questions but we only get to ride in the UP once per year at best and I really don't want to take any unnecessary chances.
Scott

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Thanks all of you. Would it be better to stay across the top of the state and head to L'Anse or Houghton/Hancock? If this is a decent run do you know of accomodations? Sorry to keep asking so many questions but we only get to ride in the UP once per year at best and I really don't want to take any unnecessary chances.
Scott[/b]
There's a BEST WESTERN in both areas with direct trail access.... Trail #8 west of the Trail #5 intersection can get EXTREMELY bad in LOW SNOW conditions.....It runs along a ridge in the MICHIGAMME area with some 2-3' diameter boulders.....For a GOOD laugh....Spin in to STUMPS TAVERN in Three Lakes,MI....just west of Michigamme....It's been FOR SALE for 7 years....Once you walk in....You'll know why it has'nt sold.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts