Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am from mass and i seen that the high temp today for mt washington was 55 and the low was like 45. It was somthing like that and i started thinking that they will prbably see snow pretty soon. So i was wondering is it at all posible to ride on the mountain. Now i know very little about mt washinton so i dont now what the terrain is like. If anyone can fill me in on what the mountain is like and if its at all rideable please do. Thanks

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aright thanks i didnt know :frech32: but now you have cleared it up for me. Its really just to bad we could have an early season. :doh: Hey mk2g60 your the guy who sold me my shocks. Thanks

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I work in the summit building and i asked my boss the same question. She said that in NH it is illegal for a snowmobile to be above treeline. Plus the National Forest is illegal to ride in w\o marked trails. you arent even allowed to hang glide over the Great Gulf Wilderness. I know they do a vintage snowmobile run up the auto road, but who wants a vintage sled when theres all that powder, cliffs and knolls to rip off of? We should be starting to see snow pretty soon, prob next month. i cant wait

·
Registered
584 Posts
If you are looking for early riding without driving to Pittsburg, Bear notch off of the Kanc. (RT 112) Usually is riding a week after thanksgiving. I used to work for NHDOT and we have plowed the kank the first week in november before. just a thought. :beerchug:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by 800stocker@Sep 6 2005, 08:41 PM
If you are looking for early riding without driving to Pittsburg, Bear notch off of the  Kanc. (RT 112) Usually is riding a week after thanksgiving. I used to work for NHDOT and we have plowed the kank the first week in november before. just a thought. :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863287
[/quote]

Thats were I started riding last season, I started Thanksgiving weekend right up until 12/15 :smiley-faces7:

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I thought about how cool it would be to ride a sled up Mt. Washington before. Fact is it gets wicked cold up there, huge snow dunes, very strong winds, complete white outs etc. as far as weather goes. Plus to my knowledge the auto road dosn't have guard rails all the way up. Lots of people would be getting seriously hurt and/or dieing. It would be an awsome ride; but it's just too dangerous.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I agree it would be way too dangerous to go all the way up.

It would be cool, however, if we could at least ride up to the treeline. I'm pretty sure the snowcoach in winter turns around at this point so the trail would always be broken and packed. Plus road is lined with trees well up to this point.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
There are no guardrails on the entire auto road. Its funny to watch peoples reactions when they come into the summit building. Some of them get pretty scared. The winds get pretty crazy in the winter. They were around 40 mph this morning. Im not sure how far the Snow Coach goes up, but they have the groomers that bring the Obs guys up to the summit every 10 days. As far as I know, thats the only thing that goes to the summit in the winter. The Cog doesnt even go all the way up.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah i thought it would be pretty cool to ride the powder and all the drops too. Anyone wanna share some good powder riding spots in NH.

·
Premium Member
1,889 Posts
Originally posted by 800stocker@Sep 6 2005, 08:41 PM
If you are looking for early riding without driving to Pittsburg, Bear notch off of the  Kanc. (RT 112) Usually is riding a week after thanksgiving. I used to work for NHDOT and we have plowed the kank the first week in november before. just a thought. :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=863287
[/quote]
I was talking to one of the guys from NH Trails and he said the early season riding in Bear Notch was going to be great this year because of all the trail work that has been done this summer :beerchug:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally posted by ckf@Sep 13 2005, 11:54 AM
I was talking to one of the guys from NH Trails and he said the early season riding in Bear Notch was going to be great this year because of all the trail work that has been done this summer :beerchug:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=872769
[/quote]
is there alot of trails in bear notch? is it legal to ride there that early in the season?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It is legal to ride trails in the white mountain national forest as soon as there is 6" of snow cover. No date specified, unlike the rest of the state and the dec 15th start date. That is why everyone rides the cog at twin mtn. so early in the year as well.

I've riden both bear notch and the cog in early to mid November right in the prescence of fish & game wardens, no problem. :div20:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts