Hardcore Sledder banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Matryx VR1 850 137 Storm
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Looking into replacing my mounts. I've got some good vibration at idle. I read thru this thread and it says to get 4 of the PTO side (3023290) mounts. Why is the MAG side a different P/N? Are they the same size?
Currently have a '17 SBA and below are P/Ns for '18. The 17's part numbers are crossed out and replaced with the 18's below..

-2MOUNT-ENGINE INSERT RAD MAG
-20MOUNT-ENGINE INSERT RAD PTO

The Mag side mounts are smaller (shorter) than the PTO side. They also seem to be a softer durometer. I run 4 PTO mounts on my 18 Assault. Change them out every 1000 miles. You'll be surprised how much wear occurs.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bringing this one back to life, my 2017 SBA is going get new mounts.

I am not in a position to buy $107 worth of mounts.

What would you think would be the reasoning for 2 different size mounts by Polaris engineering?

Why would you install 4 PTO vs. 2 PTO and 2 Mag.

I see Polaris updated both part numbers.

I do not like deviating and Len changes them every 1,000, so why install 4 PTO?

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bringing this one back to life, my 2017 SBA is going get new mounts.

I am not in a position to buy $107 worth of mounts.

What would you think would be the reasoning for 2 different size mounts by Polaris engineering?

Why would you install 4 PTO vs. 2 PTO and 2 Mag.

I see Polaris updated both part numbers.

I do not like deviating and Len changes them every 1,000, so why install 4 PTO?

You obviously did not read this thread. Time to read...

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have read this entire thread. I have been in the rubber industry for many years. Higher durometer rubber does not necessarily correlate to long lasting rubber. Why is longer mount needed for mag. side? if they are changed every 1,000 miles, does it even matter?

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I have read this entire thread. I have been in the rubber industry for many years. Higher durometer rubber does not necessarily correlate to long lasting rubber. Why is longer mount needed for mag. side? if they are changed every 1,000 miles, does it even matter?
If you change them every 1000 miles, you could use the stock set up. I chose my set up based on some testing. Using PTO mounts all the way around, I found less engine movement/twisting in the mounts. I did not notice any more vibration. The PTO side mounts are longer and seem to be of a stiffer durometer. It's the high frequency vibes from the motor at high rpm's that wears out the mounts. They just wear away to the point that at 1000 miles, they begin to show lots of wear.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
If you change them every 1000 miles, you could use the stock set up. I chose my set up based on some testing. Using PTO mounts all the way around, I found less engine movement/twisting in the mounts. I did not notice any more vibration. The PTO side mounts are longer and seem to be of a stiffer durometer. It's the high frequency vibes from the motor at high rpm's that wears out the mounts. They just wear away to the point that at 1000 miles, they begin to show lots of wear.
Dealer didn't seem to find an issue w/ mine at 1400 miles but there are obvious gaps at 2200 miles... I'm pretty sure they just didn't want to mess with them. I've got 4 PTO mounts on the way.

I think that 1000 miles or once a season is probably the right maintenance program to be on if you are really concerned about them.

·
Premium Member
17,568 Posts
My riding group must be a lot easier on our sleds than most others. At 4600 miles, my motormounts are fine.
So are the others. However, we aren't off/on the throttle constantly as some seem to be. Yet, we race on snow and hardpack often. Drivebelt life is very good. Belt heat is low.

The AXYS factory alignment tool has 1/16" forward offset built into it. And, the specs allow even more. This is more than enough to compensate for engine movement under load. And, Polaris apparently knows that these mounts do wear some and has allowed for it in their specs. The problem is that when cruising, the engine isn't twisted into alignment because the load is low. This creates excess belt misalignment and wear IMO. Floating the driven helps, but doesn't fix this issue. So, some mount wear is helpful.

The new 850 Indy has totally different mounts designed for less engine movement. This is much better, because the engine doesn't need to be cocked as far forward. Belt wear should be even better.:bc:

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Mag side mounts are smaller (shorter) than the PTO side. They also seem to be a softer durometer. I run 4 PTO mounts on my 18 Assault. Change them out every 1000 miles. You'll be surprised how much wear occurs.
Anyone know if these PTO mounts will work in a Pro ride chassis? I know the front smaller PTO on the pro is different but just curious if the other 3 mounts would benefit from the axys mounts??

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I thought I read somewhere that someone was going to offer urethane Axys motor mounts? It wasn't Stroker Customs....

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Has anyone tried the SLP engine torque arm? Has this helped the life of the engine mounts?
Yes, I tried it last year. Transfers too much vibration through the chassis. I couldn't take it off fast enough!

·
Vendor
10,199 Posts
we tried solid rubber and urethane mounts. didn't work. way to much handle bar vibration. we went 5 duro meter harder rubber then Polaris this worked. same exact configuration as the pto mounts used on 2017'18 sleds.$85 shipped for all four mounts.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have decided to take Len’s advice and will be installing 4 PTO mounts. Then check alignment, maybe adjust the twist down about to compensate for less motor twist. Thanks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bringing this back to the top. Mounts are sacked out again. I see a thread on tightening sequence of the 4 mounts. Also a mention of the softer Mag mounts assisting with motor alignment under load.

I did notice appreciable increase in vibration after installing 4 PTO mounts.

Who’s got the cock for dollie set up for mount replacement these days.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Bringing this back to the top. Mounts are sacked out again. I see a thread on tightening sequence of the 4 mounts. Also a mention of the softer Mag mounts assisting with motor alignment under load.

I did notice appreciable increase in vibration after installing 4 PTO mounts.

Who’s got the cock for dollie set up for mount replacement these days.
Last summer I went with four PTO mounts and SLP torque arm. 1,400 miles later the mounts look good as far as I can tell. There is more vibration, but not intolerable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone remember the Polaris Fusions if so , one of the fixes for the tremendous vibration that these sleds had was to remove one of the grips and fill the handlebar full of bb's , I know it sounds gimmicky but I have done this many times on Polaris sleds & Arctic Cats also it actually works pretty well and is virtually free , I have 2 2020 Indy xc's and when I replace the motor mounts with 4 of the PTO side mounts I will be doing this to both of them.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts