Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I-Grips have you been running? Give me lug height, track model and overall opinion of them.
Looking at ordering my fall order for the shop and would like feed back.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,307 Posts
1.6 cobra 144 and ST25 I grips. 2500 miles and they look like new. Overall very happy. Enough traction for icy corners or parking lots/ gas station. Only weighs 1 pound.

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
680 Posts
Have any of these screw ins had before after comparisons in stopping/acceleration cornering video/times?

Seems like a gimmick unless you’re on a freshly zambonied rink without real studs that actually penetrate.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris xc 800
78 Posts
1.5 storm I ran sr32's down the middle and 24's on the outer lugs....very happy, I don't think I will ever go back to push through studs.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,093 Posts
Different tracks need different I-Grip studs. Some tracks I wouldn't even I-grip at all if the paddles are too soft or don't have wide posts to support the sturdiness the i-grip needs to stay put and not pull out.

The 1.5" Storm is a great track to support I-Grips. "I used SS 28 I-Grips" Stiff Lugs w/ Sturdy posts" Then you have a couple choices. 7mm penetration SS28 or 5mm ST24. The 7mm has a shouldered support and the 5mm doesn't.

The 1.75" BackCountry has slightly smaller nubs than the Storm so I went with the 5mm penetration w/o the shouldered edge. ST24 Not as much penetration but I never damaged any or had a single stud pull out.

The 1.75" Hurricane has nice solid looking posts/nubs so I went with the shouldered 7mm penetration shouldered style SS28. This year trails had thin coverage and a weak base. I rode a lot of trails that weren't in great condition. Was I easy on the throttle off trail all the time knowing that there was no base and sometimes trenching to hard contacts. No I wasn't. At the years end I snapped 3 I grips and bent 3 others. The bent ones were easily pulled and easily replaced. The snapped ones have metal stuck in the lug that can't be removed. So I won't be able to replace the i-grips in those 3 stud location sites. Would the ST24 of been more durable than the SS28? I couldn't say if the 2mm less penetration would have made any difference? This was the first time I have ever seen any durabilty issues with I-Grips to even mention. In fairness to sharing something negative to I-Grips with this post I must say I've seen many years where I have replaced 10-15 real conventional studs from being bent over. And lets also talk about the guys that have suffered real push though stud tear outs. Some that have put holes in coolers which really sucks. Fair to say both studs may have negative points to riding hard on shit trails. "SHIT HAPPENS"

I have yet to I-Grip a 1.6" Cobra. I don't think I'd even try I-gripping a 1.3 Cobra. I've read many posts of people telling me the 1.6" Cobra studs well with I-Grips. I know this track already has holes in the big post nubs. These holes are fairly big. I don't see that any of the I-Grips I have used before will work with the 1.6" Cobra because the threaded screw part of these looks to not be thick enough to hold. My guess would be that the ST25R that was spoken of earlier in this thread by 1fastpolaris would show that these ST25R I-Grips must have fatter threads to hold well in the bigger holes that are already in the 1.6" Cobra.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
1.6 cobra 144 and ST25 I grips. 2500 miles and they look like new. Overall very happy. Enough traction for icy corners or parking lots/ gas station. Only weighs 1 pound.
I'm going to assume you actually used the ST25R and not the ST25? The ST25 are flat headed and the SS25R have sharp tip points?

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Great topic and following...I want to install IGrips in my 1.6 Cobra for next season. 👍🏼🇺🇸

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Have any of these screw ins had before after comparisons in stopping/acceleration cornering video/times?

Seems like a gimmick unless you’re on a freshly zambonied rink without real studs that actually penetrate.
I have never seen any Video comparisons of Stopping, Accelerating or Cornering. I don't believe there are any?
I have used these on many different sleds and we have all read what many other people have said about them as well. I will point out my feeling of what to expect in comparison.

Real conventional push through studs will accelerate, stop and bite better in the corner in ALL situations. Not even an argument here.
I-Grips don't penetrate as well because they are installed at the tip of a rubber paddle that bends. I assumed this would be the case well before trying them.
I grips are WAY LIGHTER. You can fully I-Grip most tracks in most situations with only about 1 pound of studs.
Regular Conventional studs are WAY HEAVIER. Beafy Studs, Beafy Backers and Beafy Nuts will likely have 10X more rotating mass weight depending on stud length, Backer style and Nut size.
If your a guy that lives for straight line racing and strong take offs and usually put tall studs and or more than 2 studs per row you will be totally disappointed with I-Grips. "Don't even try them"
If you are a guy that studs only 2 per row and uses recommended stud lengths that aren't overly aggressive and does this for safety instead of racing performance you may be satisfied with I-Grips?
Let's face it there's a lot of riders out there that don't like using any studs at all so there's many different kinds of riding preferences out there.

I don't straight line race. I like light studding for safety. I prefer a little looseness in the rear but riding stud less all together is a bit nerve wracking for me in icy conditions.
I like the way I-Grips weigh next to nothing. I like the looseness and little drift I can get in the corner. I like not pushing into corners from over studding. I like a little added safety. "I like I-Grips"
Realizing the short falls in comparison aren't a negative for me and my type of riding.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have never seen any Video comparisons of Stopping, Accelerating or Cornering. I don't believe there are any?
I have used these on many different sleds and we have all read what many other people have said about them as well. I will point out my feeling of what to expect in comparison.

Real conventional push through studs will accelerate, stop and bite better in the corner in ALL situations. Not even an argument here.
I-Grips don't penetrate as well because they are installed at the tip of a rubber paddle that bends. I assumed this would be the case well before trying them.
I grips are WAY LIGHTER. You can fully I-Grip most tracks in most situations with only about 1 pound of studs.
Regular Conventional studs are WAY HEAVIER. Beafy Studs, Beafy Backers and Beafy Nuts will likely have 10X more rotating mass weight depending on stud length, Backer style and Nut size.
If your a guy that lives for straight line racing and strong take offs and usually put tall studs and or more than 2 studs per row you will be totally disappointed with I-Grips. "Don't even try them"
If you are a guy that studs only 2 per row and uses recommended stud lengths that aren't overly aggressive and does this for safety instead of racing performance you may be satisfied with I-Grips?
Let's face it there's a lot of riders out there that don't like using any studs at all so there's many different kinds of riding preferences out there.

I don't straight line race. I like light studding for safety. I prefer a little looseness in the rear but riding stud less all together is a bit nerve wracking for me in icy conditions.
I like the way I-Grips weigh next to nothing. I like the looseness and little drift I can get in the corner. I like not pushing into corners from over studding. I like a little added safety. "I like I-Grips"
Realizing the short falls in comparison aren't a negative for me and my type of riding.
Nailed it. This is why I ordered an ice ripper track on my VR1.

·
Premium Member
20 850 Assault and 21 Indy XC 650 137
3,307 Posts

I think you are in the wrong forum sub section. This is for the flat brimmed hat wearing posers on our slow single piped twin cylinder dyno sheets.

·
Registered
Edge Fuji 800 Triple Star
680 Posts
I think you are in the wrong forum sub section. This is for the flat brimmed hat wearing posers on our slow single piped twin cylinder dyno sheets.
My white claw drinking friend’s keep asking me if these will help snap their neck and arms back on glare ice like mine does. 😂

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I will be running the IGRIP ST25R in my 2022 xc 850 switchback i have them in my 2018 800 assault 4500 miles still all there look perfect just a safety issue icy hills and so forth i run 1.6 cobra if i ran 1.35 cobra i would only go two per bar traditional studs my new 2022 will actually hold less IGRIPS because of 2.86 pitch vs 2.52 pitch 144 vs 146 most aggressive i would go in 1.6 cobra would be ss28r plus they have a small flat shoulder at bottom of carbide that penetrates lug. HEMI(y)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Only two tracks you can IGRIP 1.6 cobra easy pilot holes there or the 1.5 storm takes a little more time and a few more beers no pilot holes each need tunnel protectors on MATRYX chassis just ordered my vanity plates from dvm 1st choice MATRYX 2nd choice ATEFITY:sneaky:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I feel the st25r is a better choice then the ss28. The carbide tip of the 25 is 1mm larger in diameter and the screw shank is 2mm wider. I don’t like that extra length in projection of the 28. Might be easier for it to get flicked off, and if it does, it would seem that it would be harder to get it out in order to put a new one in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts