Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else gagged over the $50 registration fee? They say its for trail improvement, well what do they think our trail permit is for. I can just imagine alot of the money is actually going to make it to the trail.No one pays us for cutting new trails and keeping the old ones open and I don't expect to be paid because we injoy doing it, but don't try to charge me for something that I know isn't being done by the gov't. Probably a few more of the crooks will get their driveways paved though. I have no problem buying a trail pass but if they think they're getting that $50 they'll be waiting awhile. Someone must of got a tax break somewhere and they are trying to make up for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is anyone else gagged over the $50 registration fee? They say its for trail improvement, well what do they think our trail permit is for. I can just imagine alot of the money is actually going to make it to the trail.No one pays us for cutting new trails and keeping the old ones open and I don't expect to be paid because we injoy doing it, but don't try to charge me for something that I know isn't being done by the gov't. Probably a few more of the crooks will get their driveways paved though. I have no problem buying a trail pass but if they think they're getting that $50 they'll be waiting awhile. Someone must of got a tax break somewhere and they are trying to make up for it.[/b]
Well said, agree 100 % :div20: Here's ot the gov. :bigfinger: :flipa:

·
Registered
306 Posts
At least SANS has an established trail network,and alot of that money MIGHT be given to SANS to maintain said trails but ATVers or ATVANS don't have a network of trails that any money could be spent on.Thats not good considering most of the Infrastructure Fund money is generated by ATV registration not sleds.
It should be real interesting to see how the Gov't distributes that money or makes it disappear.I haven't heard a word about any of it since Oct.11 06 when the DNR announced its Ministerial Advisory Committee on Off-Highway vehicles picks.

Has anyone else heard anything on the Gov'ts plan for the $$$ or when the committees first meeting is?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have no problem buying a trail pass but if they think they're getting that $50 they'll be waiting awhile.[/b]
Agreed. Haven't registered the atv for 06 and might not for 07. As it stands now if you were to travel on most
trails you used to go on you'd get your nuts put in the vise. There's no way the $40 extra for the registration of sleds
is appropriate, IMO.
When i went to register the atv last spring (Apr 10th) i asked them what the extra fee was for and dipshit behind the counter said
and i quote "I have no idea". Pathetic really...

·
Registered
281 Posts
I heard some news today from one of the commitee members that are trying to lobby gov't to change some of these new rules and word is they ARE going to change some things by spring, they are currently working on a few issues that make little sense the way they are now and have to be looked at. Hopefully they will listen to our input as riders and do the right thing! If I hear exactly what it is I will let you guys know!
But you can do something about it by calling or emailing your local MLA and let them know how you feel about it. They certainly don't take the time to read all these post on here drop them a line directly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I can tell you that money won't be spent on skidoo trails!

The funds will likely be used to police our trails and buy the good folks at DNR some new toys. Education will also be increased. What we really need is stronger clubs that have real clubhouses that actually sell gas, like the way things use to be.

The money should be put back in our clubs so they can build the infrastructure. Have you been to Bathurst lately? The hoops some clubs had to jump through so that they could sell fuel was mind boggling. The owner of one club had to make a huge investment in fuel tanks that took months to get approved and it almost cost him his livelihood last winter because of delays by government.

Trial Permits are now mandatory in NS. I think that's a good thing, now we can enforce our sled trials and enjoy some good riding without the wheelers ripping things up. I have a bike too and I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but with having a very very short sledding season in NS we have to take good care of the trials and what little snow Mother Nature has to offer.

Maybe we’ll all get rebate checks from SANS for having no snow.

Anyway if there was lots of the white stuff we probably wouldn't be bitchin so much.

JC

·
Registered
234 Posts
The government will not be seeing any of my registration money for the sled. The wheeler is going to be registered as private land use. There are no trails around here for me to legally ride on with my ATV so I will be using it in my yard and in my Christmas lot. I have no problem paying the $100 for my permit because I can see where the money goes. Snow or no snow the permit money gets put towards keeping our snowmobile trails going. I think the government should take all of the money collected for the trail development fee and give it back to the snowmobile clubs. To fix the trails that we built and the off-season user destroyed! We paid to put them there and they came behind a ruined most or if not all the work that snowmobilers have done. I know of a connector trail that did not even exist if it was not for the work of the snowmobilers putting it there. It also needs alot of work now to make it passable for this winter. Hopefully things will get better for us!

·
Registered
306 Posts
The money is to be used on trails and training,and ATVANS claims none of the money will or has been used to buy any DNR or RCMP toys.
Also trail permits being mandatory does not stop ATVs from riding on them unless there is a DNR presence on every trail.(you can't stop them personally)I believe all the trails should be muilti use. (if snow conditions allow)Some of you believe that ATVs destroy snow trails in summer,many SANS connector trails are maintained and cleared by ATV clubs or JoeATV on a ride.ATVers do alot of work on the same trails you ride in winter.
Once insurance becomes mandatory you won't have a choice but to register your machine if not to get insurance then to buy a trail pass.
If the Infrastructure money is distributed fairly ATVs will get a much larger portion of it.Wouldn
t it make sense to make trails muilti-use.A little wider.I understand that SANS will never go for it and most sledders don't agree but think of the extra cash and improved and expanded trail system it would make.
Rebate checks from SANS?,...don't hold your breath.
The big question is whats going to happen next year to trail passes if we don't get any snow this year.If sales dropped this yr because of last yrs poor snowfall 30-60% then It'll drop to almost none next yr. SANS might need much help then.No.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The wheeler is going to be registered as private land use.[/b]
This is the type of horseshit i don't get with this. My buddy went to register his and he asked if he just
paid the $10.50 or whatever they said it will be registered for private property. It's private
property for christ sake. What does your registration do on private property??????
What does registration do period. It should be a one time deal IMO untill you sell.
Just a bunch of asshats as far as i'm concerned....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Private property reg. will identify you as the owner if caught off YOUR private prop. not just any private prop. yours or a first blood relative or common law spouse.Your only allowed on a friends priv. prop. with proper ATV registration and written permission from landowner.
Yes it is horseshit and now its the law.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I Don't understand how Sleds and ATV can get categorized into the same legal category called "Off Road Vehicles" The infrastructure developed by SANS, and the clubs within, has taken years to develop to where it is today. How many ATV association trail systems are in place and maintained?? (no offence to the 4 wheelers guys, I was one) So, $51.50 for the Registration, $125 for the trail pass, and where are the sledders going to see the improvement in their trails? Not likely! I'm not sure what the solution is but it certainly was better before. I agree with the Trail Permits (on SANS trails) being mandatory, but I wish ALL the funds were going back to SANS. All that being said, it doesn't touch the surface of the environmental effect of ATV compared to Sleds. GRRRRRR.
Sorry for ranting.
Pissed in Mt. Uniacke!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Thank you Albino, someone who sees things as I do. We need to work together, pool the money and get an actual province wide trail system. As far as trail upgrades that everyone rants about, well some would be good but what we really need is a main trail corridor connecting us all together. I for one would care a whole lot less about side trails if I could get on my machine in Halifax, drive to Dalhousie Mountain and stay in the Chalets, get up the next day and drive to Antigonish to stay the night and somehow make it a big loop like the NB snowmobilers have in the Bathurst area. I just used Halifax and Dalhousie Mtn as examples but it would be some nice it we could make big loop trips like that to the Valley, Cumberland, Colchester, and even connecting Cape Breton to the Mainland to meet up with the Antigonish trails.

Wouldn't it be much more fun to expand your trail riding to new areas and wide areas? I think it is, and I actually enjoy riding on someone elses trails to see and experience new things. I can only ride in circles and see the same things so many times before I need a change.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Everybody still needs to let their MLA's know about how they feel about all this, and tell everybody they know to do the same thing. Our MLA here has told us that there are only 2 of them who have shown any respect for our group and their concerns, the rest just don't give a crap about us. We'll be quietly pushed into oblivion if the MLA's don't hear about the unhappiness of those affected, and the votes that go with them. There is still a lot of crap that could happen to us if we don't make ourselves heard, anything to do with Wilderness areas is just one thing that could cripple us. There are lots of special interest groups that want more Protected areas created that we would be kept out of.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It would be interesting to know the financial impact of this legislation on restaraunts, hotels and the such.
If dealships are shutting down someone else is certainly gonna be takin a hit. The government is eager to brag
about the economic spinoffs of entertainment and sports venues, but yet they fall silent about this one....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tell me about it received a letter stating $10.65 and when I went to register it was $50.65. The $40 was for trail updates that`s what I was told. What a crock, i`m so sick of the f%%ing government, they have there hand out for everything. I guess a guy wouldn`t mind if the money was actually used for what it was planned for. This $40 is probably going to DNR so they can harass hunters/snowmobilers even more or to give some politician a raise in pay. I Don`t want to get started on the DNR!!! When is it going to stop?? The Goverment is screwing up everything they get involved in and its the taxpayers that pay in the end. Sorry guess just had to vent a little, hopefully we will get some snow soon and get everyone in the outdoors.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank you Albino, someone who sees things as I do. We need to work together, pool the money and get an actual province wide trail system. As far as trail upgrades that everyone rants about, well some would be good but what we really need is a main trail corridor connecting us all together. I for one would care a whole lot less about side trails if I could get on my machine in Halifax, drive to Dalhousie Mountain and stay in the Chalets, get up the next day and drive to Antigonish to stay the night and somehow make it a big loop like the NB snowmobilers have in the Bathurst area. I just used Halifax and Dalhousie Mtn as examples but it would be some nice it we could make big loop trips like that to the Valley, Cumberland, Colchester, and even connecting Cape Breton to the Mainland to meet up with the Antigonish trails.

Wouldn't it be much more fun to expand your trail riding to new areas and wide areas? I think it is, and I actually enjoy riding on someone elses trails to see and experience new things. I can only ride in circles and see the same things so many times before I need a change.[/b]
I totally agree with the comments that are made in this and other posts on inter-connecting the province's trails. But I believe that this will never happen. The multi use trail will not work. In some areas maybe but it would never be province wide. There is a vast majority of landowners that have no problem with a "SNOWMOBILE TRAIL" on their land. I have actually dealt with landowner's that when the snow is gone or there is no snow, gates close the trail to other user. I have also dealt with landowners that would be more than willing to let the snowmobiles cross their property but would not give permission for the snowmobiles because of the un-wanted use ATV's on their property. In the words of one landowner “It’s not you guys (snowmobiler's) it is your followers (ATV's) that I have the problem with!” Our tracks are gone when the snow is gone. Think about that! Also let's stop and think why there is no inter-connecting trail system in the province? It comes right down to the landowners. It is absolutely amazing why this province (the government) can not look at other provinces and implement some of their ideas and make something that all users can get out and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Multiuse will work and there are people working on it everyday. We all have to help make it work and yes the ATV community have a ways to go in some areas to gain respect. DNR actually has a guy mapping trails and NS trails has this same vision. In many cases there is enough crown land to interconnect areas, others will be a challenge and we all know that but anything is possible. I also know that it won't happen tomorrow but then again NB, Ontario and Quebec were years and years developing thier trails too. If our government (including some of the fools that actually work for DNR that deal with OHV's) wakes up and sees the $$$$$ potential in tourism and spinoffs the sooner this trail system will come.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.