Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one rode from Mooose Range Lodge to Hudson's Bay--we are planning on heading that way for a week of riding and were wondering how the trails and snow conditions are.
Where is the best place to stay once we get to Hudson's Bay?
Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heading to the Bay tomorrow, staying at the treeline, will keep you posted on the conditions when we get back, talked to Rick at town office a club member from up that way and he said trails are regroomed this week and should be ready to ride. also called moose range 542-7946 and new owner there said the trails are groomed there as well, not sure if norquay did any grooming from that end, but then I heard that yorkton were suppose to be custom grooming from norquay. good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has any one rode from Mooose Range Lodge to Hudson's Bay--we are planning on heading that way for a week of riding and were wondering how the trails and snow conditions are.
Where is the best place to stay once we get to Hudson's Bay?
Thanks[/b]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heading to the Bay tomorrow, staying at the treeline, will keep you posted on the conditions when we get back, talked to Rick at town office a club member from up that way and he said trails are regroomed this week and should be ready to ride. also called moose range 542-7946 and new owner there said the trails are groomed there as well, not sure if norquay did any grooming from that end, but then I heard that yorkton were suppose to be custom grooming from norquay. good luck[/b]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey parkland sledder. I grew up in Kelwood and haven't rode there for about 20 years. Wondered if you had rode in that area and if you had if there are any trails in the area and what the conditions are like. My parents still own a house there and my dad is always bugging me to go riding there. If you go to Hudson Bay stay at the Treeline for sure it is the nicest hotel in the area and they are awsome to sledders and the trails there are the best.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey parkland sledder. I grew up in Kelwood and haven't rode there for about 20 years. Wondered if you had rode in that area and if you had if there are any trails in the area and what the conditions are like. My parents still own a house there and my dad is always bugging me to go riding there. If you go to Hudson Bay stay at the Treeline for sure it is the nicest hotel in the area and they are awsome to sledders and the trails there are the best.[/b]
Sledding south of RMNP is always good in most years! There are some groomed trails--from Neepawa right through to Russell and lots of Loops around the Rossburn, Onanole areas..We do need more snow in these areas this year---seeing lots of bare ground and makes for bad sledding!!
On a differentt note --how far is it from Hudsons Bay north and round back from the Wildcat Hill areas--I hear there is some awesome riding in those areas--I have maps but does not tell me mileage and I also noticed there is no gas north of Hudsons Bay.
Let me know
Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always ride with Crossfire Scott and we both agree all trails north of Hudson Bay are Closed!!! Just Joking.. It is 24 miles up to the warm up shack called "Larry's Cabin" then its another 10 or 12 miles up to Bankside Lake so that would make the round trip approx. 80 miles. There is NO GAS north of the Bay but the trails are well marked. AWESOME Club up at Hudson Bay, warm up shacks always have wood and are usually pretty clean and have good stoves for cooking too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
plowboy17 - the sledding was great - trails were freshly groomed on Weds/Thurs. Snow conditions excellent, and trail to Carrot River was good as well. Ran into riders at the treeline that came from Nipawin and they said trail was good except around Nipawin. Also trail to Weekes is getting beat up and rougher, needs more snow to groom. Headed north of H/Bay to Wachee?? and snow was good there for boondocking, but take extra gas along, no gas stations north of the bay.Also ran into riders that came thru from Preeceville, and they said Preeceville trails were no hell. We were going to ditch bang from the bay to preeceville on sunday but got up to minus 30 and left them in the trailer. Talked to other sledders fromYorkton, Wolseley, norquay, etc. and all sounded like they were needing more snow. good luck with the riding, need more snow :i_need_snow:

·
Registered
2015 Polaris Pro X Switchback
391 Posts
plowboy17 - the sledding was great - trails were freshly groomed on Weds/Thurs. Snow conditions excellent, and trail to Carrot River was good as well. Ran into riders at the treeline that came from Nipawin and they said trail was good except around Nipawin. Also trail to Weekes is getting beat up and rougher, needs more snow to groom. Headed north of H/Bay to Wachee?? and snow was good there for boondocking, but take extra gas along, no gas stations north of the bay.Also ran into riders that came thru from Preeceville, and they said Preeceville trails were no hell. We were going to ditch bang from the bay to preeceville on sunday but got up to minus 30 and left them in the trailer. Talked to other sledders fromYorkton, Wolseley, norquay, etc. and all sounded like they were needing more snow. good luck with the riding, need more snow :i_need_snow:[/b]

·
Registered
2015 Polaris Pro X Switchback
391 Posts
We stayed in Preeceville at the Lake Land Inn Motel on Friday night and then sledded to HBay and stayed at the Treeline on Saturday night.

We cross country'd it onj Saturday from Usherville to the Norquay Trail and although we had a few turn arounds and ran into a bunch of fences that were not there a few years back, we managed to find the trail.

It was "super ugly" until we hit "Boiler Junction" and then reasonable except for about 3 miles just before the Tricket Lake warm up shack. (brand new and very big). From there it was freshly groomed and "how fast do you want to go" type riding all the way to the Bay.

Sunday, because of the cold and a flooded 800, we decided not to go to carrot River for Chinese and opted to travel to Weekes via Greenbush. These trails were also freshly groomed. We then headed over to Porcupine for something different and wow, the new routes with the wider trails are just great as it has been at least 5 years since I was on the path to the Porcupine. I also understand that the old route from Boiler Junction to Weekes through Reserve is in fine shape for an ungroomed trail as Peter Lewellyn and a couple of guys from the Bay made the loop on Sunday morning and came for lunch at Weekes on their new 08 700 Switchbacks.

From there it was south to Big Valley and then south to the Lintlaw trail south of Hazel Del. We missed some signage at the south endof the pasture in the dark and punded the road for 3 miles but everything worked out and we made it back to Preeceville at 7 p.m. for supper.

I also rode at Naicam, Nipawin and Melfort over Xmas and can say they have more snow than anything south of Usherville. Norquay has not grooomed and their trails are rougher than I have ever seen them but they may have equipment issues.

Except for the chilly start for Sunday, a great week-end and another 320 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts