Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to go for a ride tomorrow or Tuesday - i'll go anywhere - Fenelon, Haliburton, Apsley.

Has anyone run Orillia to Wassaga beach area??

I'm hoping the groomers will be out tonight or tomorrow to fix the washboard that likely developed over the weekend, but regardless - with possible temps above 5 for next week and half if we don't ride in next few days we might be in standby mode for a while.

I'll even take opinions on prefered places to ride and go solo - but there's less people to talk to that way.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
I'm looking to go for a ride tomorrow or Tuesday - i'll go anywhere - Fenelon, Haliburton, Apsley.

I'm hoping the groomers will be out tonight or tomorrow to fix the washboard that likely developed over the weekend, but regardless - with possible temps above 5 for next week and half if we don't ride in next few days we might be in standby mode for a while.

I'll even take opinions on prefered places to ride and go solo - but there's less people to talk to that way.[/b]

From what I hear Dave conditions north north east ..... Fenelon, Hali, Bobcaygon, Buckhorn, Gooderham, Apsley, Bancroft are superb for early season. Most of that area should be groomed tonight.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts

I'll even take opinions on prefered places to ride and go solo - but there's less people to talk to that way.[/b]
The highest temp in all the forecasts I just looked at was 0C. Most had flurries and snow in the forecast and Bracebridge has a nightime low of -20C for Wed.

:dunno:

I wouldn't worry too much about the conditions. I'm sure they will do nothing but improve.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Go to Haliburton, ride to Whitney to Barrys Bay, then loop back to Bancroft to Haliburton. Lots of great riding going on right now!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the wife said she'd actually go for a ride with me - she's more of an indoor girl if you know what I mean - but she did say she'd try a ride with me. (This might be very bad!! hehe)

So I'm gonna go to fenelon falls and run the railtrail up to haliburton and back.

Suggestions please - I can unload either at the cdn tire store west side of town (but last time i did this i followed someone else and don't remember how to get over to the park and where the railtrail then heads up to kinmount) or I'll just go through town and unload in the park area - fence is likely still up along the beach??

Also - when I get into Haliburton where do you suggest we go for lunch (plus I'm thinking this trip will be max hour and half?? gotta time it for lunch right!!) and will we leave the sled in the parking lot beside the lake at the west end of town and just walk in or do we run the lake and come up to a resteraunt from behind off the lake?? I've never stoped in Hali before and since I'm solo I want to look cool and like I know everything when we get there.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Dave do a loop instead fo just running up and down the railine, you and your wife will enjoy it much more.

Here's a great 116 mile loop out of Fenelon

From Fenelon take B103 north (rail line) to E108 east (E108 cut off is halfway up to Burnt River) follow to Twin Mountain trail 495 north/east, follow up to TM 498 (Loom lake trail) to Buckhorn trail 509 north, right up to the 607 take the 607 east into Gooderham for lunch and fuel. The take the 607 back west past the 509 over to Donland and grab the Hali B trail south to Gelert then run back down through Kinmount on the B103 back to Fenelon. You can also change it up a fair amount to add a few miles by heading the roundabout way via Catchacoma to Tory Hill then Gooderham 149 miles. TM E108 all the way over to Buckhorn 608 north to Tory Hill, then south east on the 609 to Gooderham. Many options in this area if you have the maps (Twin Mountain and Buckhorn)

All these trails are open .......... and a little bird told me there in awsome shape.

I'll be riding that area for the next few days .......... can't wait one of my favorite areas to ride :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My map of district 2 doesn't show the 607 connecting to donald - are you sure about this part??

Another option would be to come down to catchacoma lake and onto gold lake - family used to have a cottage there and have always wanted to see what the new people did with the property - but not if these deep lakes are best left alone right now.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
My map of district 2 doesn't show the 607 connecting to donald - are you sure about this part??

Another option would be to come down to catchacoma lake and onto gold lake - family used to have a cottage there and have always wanted to see what the new people did with the property - but not if these deep lakes are best left alone right now.[/b]

I just double checked Dave ... Sorry it's the 606 not the 609 from Tory Hill to Gooderham, and the 607 from Gooderham to to Donland, as far as I can tell, could also be the 509 ?? either way it's signed well to the B trail (Donland).

·
Registered
43 Posts
We rode out of Rosedale to Bobcaygeon on Saturday we took the twin mountain 400 trail into town for lunch. The trail we were on was pretty beat up and in need of more snow as we were hitting rocks and there was a few bare spots. We went to Haliburton today and they had alot more snow and we all agreed they were in alot better shape than Bobby. I would be very hesitant about crossing any lakes as they are not staked and all the local ponds are opening up.

Regards,

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
We rode out of Rosedale to Bobcaygeon on Saturday we took the twin mountain 400 trail into town for lunch. The trail we were on was pretty beat up and in need of more snow as we were hitting rocks and there was a few bare spots. We went to Haliburton today and they had alot more snow and we all agreed they were in alot better shape than Bobby. I would be very hesitant about crossing any lakes as they are not staked and all the local ponds are opening up.

Regards,[/b]

Other then his issues with "Jack" this guy had a good ride yesterday, my bud said the trails were mint today doing the first loop I mentioned (no lakes or rivers to cross on either loop). The 400 does get beat up real bad as it's a main connector for lunch runners between Bob and Fenelon.

My brother and I went to Bobcaygeon yesterday for a day trip. 10 out of 10 on trail conditions. Freshly groomed when we set out at the bowling alley at trail 400. Considering the weather hasn't reallly be cooperating just thought I should let em know great job keep up the good work! Trails again were great, hospitality not so much!!!!! Thanks again to the JACK OFF at Bobcaygeon marine who told us to park at the church! I will make sure anybody I know will never give you any buisness again JACK OFF! We pulled in to ask for directions on parking and trail map, this guy directed us to park at church and after we were unloaded siuted up and ready to go I noticed small white signs everywhere. So walked over to them and they read No Snowmobile parking!!! Real nice head up fpr the day to ride awesome trails and if we would have parked there we would have came back to a towed truck and trailer. What's wrong with this picture? Why would some one who has advertised in the local map be suck a DICK HEAD!!!! On a more positive note glad to see lots of hard work on trails up there again Thanks twin mountains, and shame one you JACK OFF at Bobcaygeon Marine![/b]

·
Registered
144 Posts
Vetterman,

Just home from Catchacoma, trails are good but NO tracks at all on the lakes so your tour over to Gold wouldn't be recommended at this time.
If it's your wifes first time be nice to find some groomed trails and don't buy her an extra large coffee at Timmies on the ride up.

Fuse 6

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Paudash just groomed the trails this evening like they do every night and they are great. Pm me if your heading. Been playing telephone tag with Tailight to meet up for a ride.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last call - I'm up and getting ready

Gonna try the loop Nutter mentioned - if nothing else I can report on some trails that have not been mentioned yet.

If wife goes with me I'll debate if the railtrail it groomed smooth just doing a nice and easy and after make the turn north of fenelon if it goes washboard i'll double back and continue on the railbed - if I go solo i'll run the loop.

Hope to see you out there!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
As far as a quick place to eat in Haliburton goes. The "cozy" right on the main drag is great for a bowl of soup or hot sandwich. If you want more of a sit down meal there is Mc Keck's or Tracie's Bistro. All are good and you can park right behind main street near the waterfront. These are all about two minutes from te Top B. Gas is right there too. Stay off Head lake just yet.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Where abouts are you meeting in Fenlon. I'm dying to get out for a ride.[/b]
thinksno and i will be riding out of fenlon falls at 10am tuesday morning, meeting at the parking lot by the lake, 416-569-7878 cel, if you are running late or want to hook up. nutter what time are you going to be there... thinking fenlon to hali, around to paudash loop?
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !!

Aaron[/b]
Big parking lot in town on the water. Aaron has the Apex, I have the black edge and pickup with THINKSNO plates.
705-761-3166 cell

Bob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts