Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at modular helmets with electric shield. Found 2 models and looking for opinions & recommendation.

CKX Tranz 1.5. Or. HJC IS Max 2

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the CKX and have no issues with it. Warm, no air leaks. I guess I have one issue, the tinted drop down visor always has condensation on it when I drop it down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I've used the Polaris modular for a couple seasons now. Added the heated shield last year. Rode in -30F mornings and no issues with cold. Most of the time with that helmet I either use a thin balaclava or none at all. Easy pull of a strap to take off. Been using it more than my mx and goggles even on warmer days.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the HJC. It's drafty until ice builds up to close those leaks, and I've been through 2 heated shields that have de-laminated. I don't recommend it.

I ran the Castle X last season. I had to jump up a size from the HJC, and it still didn't fit my head well. That helmet was nice otherwise, and the sun visor worked well.

Moved on to an Oxygen Helmet for this season.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Don't be afraid to look at Zoan and Scorpion also ,I have a Zoan Modular with heated shield for 2 years now, no issues, and I paid around a $120 for it...
all modular helmet's can get drafty in the coldest temps

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I've had the CKX Tranz for a couple years and really like it. No issues with condensation on the sun shade, although I put a heated visor on it before ever riding with it. It works well for me wearing rx glasses, FWIW!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had a HJC IS Max 2 for a long time and always been good. However, you need to make sure you get the correct shield for it. I had one that didn't seal correctly (HJC HJ-07) and it leaked air like crazy. I cracked that visor and bought the correct model (HJC HJ-09P Frameless) that seals correctly and it works well. I have since changed over to a 509 with google setup, but I still use my HJC on really cold days or when I need the easy use of the modular.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also ran the Castle X last year. No leaks and warm. Ran it last year in Tower when it was -13* and stayed perfectly warm. So far it's been my best helmet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looking at modular helmets with electric shield. Found 2 models and looking for opinions & recommendation.

CKX Tranz 1.5. Or. HJC IS Max 2

Thanks for the input.
I have been using an HJC modular for a couple of years. Had to add foam around ears. Still very noisy. Started wearing ear plugs. In -30c temps always got a breeze in my eyes. Just bought CKX Tranz 1.5 AMS. It has the same air management system as the new CKX Mission. No one seems to have the Mission in stock in Canada. I sure hope it works well. Over $400.00 Canadian. Will update one I can ride. Lake just froze last night.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I know it isn't on your list, but i found a used BVS2 for a fraction of new. I bought it. Best sledding decision i have ever made. it can be -25 riding 90mph and it feels like you are sitting in a truck doing the drive. So warm. great visibility and insanely quiet.

Some may think it's a little heavy, it can also be too warm when it gets above 25dgrs or so. I have close to 20,000 miles on it. It's getting a little wore out. The price is keeping me from buying another. I sure do like it though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the CKX Flex modular with heated shield and sun visor. I've never had the sun visor fog or collect condensation. I wear Rx glasses so it helps a little to keep the shield cracked open at slower speeds to clear up fogging on my glasses. I wear a NoFog face mask and that helps a lot. I would love to try a BVS2 helmet, but the cost is just too much. The CKX is good helmet.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I have the HJC IS max 2 and I don't recommend it. Very drafty and cold, but heated shield works great. I have to wear a klim arctic balaclava under it and on the cold days a helmet skirt. When I start looking for a new one, the ski doo helmets will get a long look, don't care if its expensive, it needs to be comfortable and warm as its on my head all day and I'll have it for several years.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
I had good luck with my FXR Fuel Black Ops helmet, but have since switched to a 509 Altitude with a ProVue lens to alleviate my eyesight issues. No fun wearing glasses under a helmet, no matter how good the helmet is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts