Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys probably all ready know this, but thought I would pass it along just in case…..

I bought a new modular helmet last week and wore it while ridding to camp Friday. I felt some cool air coming in while crossing the lake. I stopped to adjust the helmet and all felt good after that. I rode about 100 miles to camp. Once I got there I noticed I had major frostbite on the left side of my face. I guess my face was all ready numb when I stopped to adjust the helmet so I didn’t realize that there was still cold air contacting my face. I went to my doctor today and he sent me to a plastic surgeon. Looks nasty, but the surgeon thinks it will heal up nicely. I am going back to see him next week.

Moral of the story….don’t depend on just a hood sock to protect your face with those helmets on real cold days. Install the provided mask over the respirator. I think the high was about 5 degrees that day.

On a side note, the SLT skis were awesome!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tshamba,

Good point! I rode in Island Pond 3 days last week. Temp never got above 0 degrees, and I had the same problem with my modular helmet (my brother also). Realized it very quickly and put on the additional mask that came with the helmet. This was in addition to already wearing one of those Turtle Fur balaclava's. Worked great after that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I noticed on mine that cold air was coming in where the sun visore goes up and down. Anyone have any tricks to seal that slot up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a friend get his face ripped off by one of those. When called Ski-doo they said "SORRY, it was not ment for a crash" ??? Something about the DOT/SNELL non-approval. He wacked his face off the handle bars and the bottom bridge broke off into his face. LOTS of stitches.. It was ugly.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I was concerned about the safety issue when I bought the helmet. All my friends raved about the helmet so I thought I would give it a try. I am going back to AC TXi helmet with a heated shield.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My son-in-law had a modular and had the same problem. Froze his face twice even with the added mask. He sold the thing and got a new TXI.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
i wear a modular and do think about safety ! but i wear glasses and it works great for that . what are you guys doing that wear glasses ? also my face does freeze and wind noise is very bad.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
i just bought the hjc symax modular from my dealer yesterday. i rode over on sled. i also wear glasses and this seems to be the ticket for us four eyes. my other helmet is a hjc cl-12. i bought the new modular and left my cl-12 there and came and got it later in the car. i thought that the modular actually was warmer than my cl-12. so far so good! anybody want to buy a cl-12 helmet size xl?

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Was riding with a bud that had a Doo modular, and the respirator and vents in the helmet literally froze up solid with ice, to the point that he damn near couldn't breath. Took us ten minutes to chip all the ice out. He said it happened once before during cold humid conditions combined with heavy breathing. I didn't ask if his heavy breathing was from riding hard, or if he had other things on his mind. :lol: -- Roy

·
Registered
237 Posts
I love my modular helmet the only time I had a prob is
when we were at Jays peek and Island pond . It was
below o most of the time. I never ever had a prob till
we rode in those temps. All I had to do was ware a
light hood and put the face mask over it , and when
I got home I got a heated visor , That was the only
time I had a iceing prob. I had a little frost bite on my
face from ice in the hose on the face mask, but the
hood took care of that. And my helmet has a DOT sticker
on it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just a quick tip for those of us that have to wear the modular for whatever reason. I do alot of Hi-alpine climbing and always rub some vaseline on my face, under my eyes and on the bridge of my nose. It won't keep you from getting frost-bite but will help protect your skin better than nothing. It's a good idea to get a small tube to put in your jacket and rub some on when you get started. Check and reapply throughout the day.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I can say from experience (unfortunately) that the Modular helmet is very good in a crash. I bought one 2 years ago and crashed hard (60 mph into a cluster of trees). A few broken bones, punctured lung, blown knee but I didn't get so much as a headache. Helmet showed scratches and such, no cracks in the shell. Very pleased with the way it protected me. By the way, someone earlier said they were not dot and snell rated. It isn't snell, but is DOT rated. Bought another one after my accident based on the performance of the first. After the accident I couldn't breath because of the injuries to my lung. I now get all clausterphobic in any closed face helmet, and the modular about makes me freak... Tried it for a weekend, just cant do it... It is for sale in the classified section, in case anyone is interested.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts