Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
204hp stock, 270hp with tune = $575 + clutching = $300,, seriously 65hp gain, plug and play for under $1000, sorry but that is awesome.

For the 800cc 1000cc triple triples you would be looking at case porting, cylinder porting head work, reeds, aftermarket pipes and a good ignition in trail forum (91 octane) you're looking at max HP of 195hp at a decibel rating of 100+ and a heck of a good tuner to keep it there,, Guessing a min cost of $2000 ++ for a 25hp gain. That being said there is nothing that sounds as good as a finely tuned Triple Triple,,

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I don't think they will get that advanced. Sleds are at a critical point with pricing I think. I think that limits sales. It's getting close to the max people are willing to pay. Adding a fancy computer controlled cvt tranny to a sled, would add a big chunk of cost, for more potential issues, and considering how simple and effective the current clutching is on sleds, I don't see that happening in the 10-15 years the industry has left.
oh don't be to sure about a computer controlled clutch. i've already seen a test unit using oil as hydraulic fluid using a sensors and computer controlled oil pressure to shift a drive clutch. while it's probably more expensive? it will get cheaper over time. the oil was pump through the crankshaft and into the clutch.
Yeah, that sounds simple, and like it should work trouble free.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
204hp stock, 270hp with tune = $575 + clutching = $300,, seriously 65hp gain, plug and play for under $1000, sorry but that is awesome.

For the 800cc 1000cc triple triples you would be looking at case porting, cylinder porting head work, reeds, aftermarket pipes and a good ignition in trail forum (91 octane) you're looking at max HP of 195hp at a decibel rating of 100+ and a heck of a good tuner to keep it there,, Guessing a min cost of $2000 ++ for a 25hp gain. That being said there is nothing that sounds as good as a finely tuned Triple Triple,,
Boost is king. No doubt. My list of mods for the summer is about $800, and if I pick up 8 it will be a good gain. Sounds kinda funny compared to 65hp.

·
Registered
39,600 Posts
it is actually very simple. and only added about ten pounds of weight. and this sled clutch set-up had about 10,000 test miles without one hiccup. but i would suspect cost is what's holing it back.
Heard the efficiency compared to the current cvt system is a problem also.

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
Heard the efficiency compared to the current cvt system is a problem also.
there are other ways to do CVT without a belt or what we consider a "normal" set of clutches. the problem is that the programming and tuning abilities needed to make it work are beyond what the powersports engineers are either capable of doing, or beyond what the bean counters would let them do.
considering they still arent able to put a closed loop efi system on a 4 stroke, which is like 1981 automotive tech, i dont think we'll see that kind of thing on sleds.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
considering they still arent able to put a closed loop efi system on a 4 stroke, which is like 1981 automotive tech, i dont think we'll see that kind of thing on sleds.
The YamaCat 998 turbo has closed loop EFI, I'm pretty sure the Doo 900 T has closed loop as well.

I highly doubt we'll see much change to the CVT, well until we have an ELECTRIC snowmobile :whistle::dunno::ermm:

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
Okay,, I thought I had read that it was closed loop, did a search and they where referring to the ECU/Turbo which improves throttle response.

I'm bad,,, :shocked:
Cheers Tommcat :bc:
no worries.
i've heard that yammie is trying closed loop for 2020, but only on the NA 1049 motor, which is pretty much the last place that needed it.:wall:

·
Registered
16,821 Posts
it is actually very simple. and only added about ten pounds of weight. and this sled clutch set-up had about 10,000 test miles without one hiccup. but i would suspect cost is what's holing it back.
I'm thinking , to make a cost effective setup, one way would be to keep todays components , ie weights/springs/helix, and just use electronics to modify/tweak the shift curve as desired.

Also, this way, if the fancy shit breaks , there's still old school tech in the clutches to get you home :thumbsup:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Huda thunk it that this electronic doo-hicky is giving me more horsepower with a couple touches of a keyboard. I miss the old days installing pipes, reeds and jetting etc. trying to find that little edge over my buddies.
Get a Polaris problem solved they make the most hp an are easy to mod my buddys 800 blows the 850s doors off .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
479 Posts
no worries.
i've heard that yammie is trying closed loop for 2020, but only on the NA 1049 motor, which is pretty much the last place that needed it.:wall:
I always thought that closed loop was not desirable for a boosted application. I know when you go bigger power on a WRX many convert to speed density. Something with the MAF and boost and having to reroute the BOV back after the MAF or you get run problems.

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
I always thought that closed loop was not desirable for a boosted application. I know when you go bigger power on a WRX many convert to speed density. Something with the MAF and boost and having to reroute the BOV back after the MAF or you get run problems.
Speed density is still closed loop, at least on any modern system.

And the reason those particular wrx guys remove the MAF is likely because they insist on using an atmosphere dump BOV because it sounds cool, but can't get it to work.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
Get a Polaris problem solved they make the most hp an are easy to mod my buddys 800 blows the 850s doors off .

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
What problem does he have that owning any Polaris would solve?
Making too much power? Going too fast? Easiest to make more power? Engine stays together too long?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

21 - 36 of 36 Posts