Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always run the AC synthetic 2 stroke oil. My question is if anyone has had any issues running other brands in combination with the AC oil. I'm low on oil and won't have oil for a few days. I was thinking about running either the Skidoo or Polaris synthetic oils until I can get more oil. Thoughts??

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
I have always run the AC synthetic 2 stroke oil. My question is if anyone has had any issues running other brands in combination with the AC oil. I'm low on oil and won't have oil for a few days. I was thinking about running either the Skidoo or Polaris synthetic oils until I can get more oil. Thoughts??
I have had to do it a few times. Never had any issues. I switched from cat apv to castro 2 stroke on my 03 zr during a back pack trip, never had issues.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be an issue but you never know. My guess is that oils are made to a particular specification and are designed to be compatible. Otherwise there would be a lot of problems.

·
Premium Member
3,062 Posts
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be an issue but you never know. My guess is that oils are made to a particular specification and are designed to be compatible. Otherwise there would be a lot of problems.
I run nothing but Amsoil Inceptor now. Put 5900 trouble free on my last f8, and will continue to do so on my procross.

Sent from Snowmobile.com Free App

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would want to stick with a synthetic when mixing with the apv. My guess is that they are designed to be compatible though. There would be a lot of serious issues if they were not. Im guessing that most people dont even think twice about mixing oils. I just over think everything.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've never worried about mixing oils. Petroleum, synthetic, and petroleum synthetic blend.
I'm loyal to either Spectro Syn-Sno, or Amsoil Interceptor.
But I've run Apv, Spectro Sno non-syn, Bombadier syn-petro blend, Klotz techniplate all without issue, all mixed in the same reservoir often at the same times.

I don't see much Klotz (clogs) in my future. Smells cool, inexpensive, synthetic, but doesn't make me feel as comfortable when I watch it pour into the reservoir at cold temperatures as the others I've listed.

Only thing in my experience about mixing oils that may be a negative, cleaning the power valves slightly more often may be necessary. Some of this could be that I have no problem pouring petroleum in my same reservoir as synthetic on pv engines.

During very cold temps, stick with one oil! Whatever it is you choose, stick with that for the cold snap.

Just my opinion... but...... 11k miles on my '89 Cougar 500, 7400 miles on my '94 Cougar 440, 9600 miles on '98 ZR 6, 9300 miles on '06 F6 that is still flawless, and currently 3800 on my '12 XF 8 and I have mixed oils in all of them without caring, except during very cold weather (below 5 deg F in my opinion)

Basically the best comment so far in this thread is the one above me, "The worst oil is no oil" if I remember it correctly.
Peace..... and oh yeah, Hammer Down brothahs !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.