Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My electrical problem seems to be a bad stator or coil. Since the dealer is at the meeting, it won't get looked at until Friday or sat. I lost the hand warmers, tach, and speedo. The lights also got fairly dim. I tried unhooking everything I could, thinking it may be a short. But I gave up after a day of fooling with it. This will be my 2nd weekend missed due to problems. It is unfortunate since this has been our best winter snow wise.

bill

·
Registered
290 Posts
whats your voltage?
It's simple to test the coil if that's what you think it is:

Primary
1. unplug leads orange and black on coil
2. + on meter to orange and - to black
3. resistance on x1 scale should be .24-.35 ohms
Secondary
1. now unplug the spark plug leads and connect your meter to them
2. on the x1k scale resistance should be 6800-10200 ohms

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure why I said coil, it almost has to be a stator problem. The sled runs fine. I disconnected almost every connection under the hood and it didn't make any diff. So I don't think it is a short somewhere.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I just read your other topic about your problem. Let me think about it and read it again and see if I can help.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you need a meter first of all
check your voltage at the reg. then start checking at all the different connectors
should be easy then, basically it's 2 wires making a loop around

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,200 Posts
I'm leaning towards it being your voltage regulator only because I had problem very similar to yours, the magnet which is mounted on the end of the driveshaft which gives your speedo the info it needs can come unglued and it will chew up your VR, this was my problem, and it's easy to check yourself, if everything looks fine then the problem is elsewhere. This will at least get you jump start on the problem untill your dealer returns. Good Luck

·
Registered
514 Posts
ok, I know this will sound stupid, but can you tell me where the VR is located? We are having this very same problem with Craig's F7 right now, lights VERY dim, no speedo/tach/warmers. Has done this 2x before, but started working again. Seems to work fine for a while and then starts messing up, I think around 70 miles into the ride today. Odometer only registered 91 of the 161 miles we did.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I hate having to get back before dark :angry:

·
Registered
2021 VR1 850, 18 Tiger 8000, 17 RS 6000, 16 ZR 6000, 12 F1100T, 11 EXT 800, 09 Z1 Turbo, 05 ZR 900
10,200 Posts
Originally posted by dingoblu@Mar 1 2003, 08:41 PM
ok, I know this will sound stupid, but can you tell me where the VR is located? We are having this very same problem with Craig's F7 right now, lights VERY dim, no speedo/tach/warmers. Has done this 2x before, but started working again. Seems to work fine for a while and then starts messing up, I think around 70 miles into the ride today. Odometer only registered 91 of the 161 miles we did.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I hate having to get back before dark :angry:
It is located on the PTO side of the sled and is mounted where the drive shaft mounts into the bulkhead you will have to remove the secondary to get at it note the spacer washers inside the secondary, you may have to use a small screwdriver to pry off the VR.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts