Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 2001 600 XC SP. I decided to be preventative (should have known better) and took the carbs off and apart to clean. A few minutes after blowing them out I noticed a small brass washer (~7.2mm O.D. and 4.7 I.D. and about .8mm thick) on the floor. Upon further inspection it is 100% clear that it was on the main jet (you can still see the hex shape markings on one side of the washer). After hours of searching for the other washer (dual carb) I gave up and tried to buy one. I have talked to 3 Polaris dealers and Mikuni! They all say that carb doesn't have a washer according to their diagrams. The guy from Mikuni thinks the washer was "pinned" and not to be removed and somehow came loose. He sent me a picture of what he meant- mine isn't like that. I just looks like a regular washer and I am somehow missing one. The carb is a TM38-B311 (flat style). I would appreciate if someone could confirm if I am losing my mind or not! Also- where could I find one? Are these not the original carbs? Many thanks

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
I’m not a Polaris guy, but I can assure you that about every AC and skidoo of that era, like your Polaris, they all used those same style carbs, and they all had a washer on the main jet.
You must have not talked to any parks managers or mechanics that were around 20 years ago when Jets were more common. That used to be common practice to jiggle the jet as you were removing it so that the washer would pop loose and stay with the jet. That was for working with the carbs on the machine when you were blind but had gravity on your side

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
You should verify 10 times over though that the washer that you misplaced it is not stuck somewhere else in the carburetor, or the machine, if you happen to be cleaning them In the vicinity of the machine

·
Premium Member
18,569 Posts
The Polaris fiche for that carb set does NOT show a washer. The main jet is part # 28. In checking from 2000-2003, none of them show a washer. On the other hand, other Mikuni TM style carbs used on Polaris do use that washer. The 2000 XCR 8000 triple uses them for example. #42 in Fiche.

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
Huh. I had a new 01 600 cat in 01, and my buddy had the 01600 xc (pretty sure it was an SP too, it was red?) and we use to wrench and compare everything together. I’d have sworn his had the washers. Actually....now that I think about it, his might have had the washers crimped(three spots pressed over) in. I remember thinking, crap, poo had a good idea there.
His 600 was fast. I bought an zr800 mid season. Then he ordered an xc8. .....Back in the day

·
Premium Member
39,170 Posts
Yup, the washer was pinned/staked in the 600 XC. It was not supposed to come out, hence it's not shown on the parts pages.

·
Premium Member
20,600 Posts
AZ1049 needs a washer either way. (I’d buy the AC one, if it was easier, cheaper or quicker. Cats used them for a long time, so an older dealer might have one)

·
Registered
32 Posts
It may have been lost by the guy working on it before you...I'd get one from a Cat or Doo dealer. While you're at it buy two, just in case they are not quite the same thickness as your current one. It's best to have everything balanced on both carbs. Don't over think this and just Doo it!

SkidooGrampa

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Just throwing this into the mix. Yamaha used mikuni carbs as well. There was a washer under the clip on the needle on mikuni's. Yamaha used 2 washers of half thickness each instead of 1 that Cat and Poo used. Gave you more tuning options as you could drop the needle just a little, not a whole clip position. So place one washer under the clip and one on top and tighten the retainer. it made a 5 position needle into a 10 position needle. I used them on all of my Cat carbed sleds in the late 90's. later I went 100% EFI.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
While those carbs are apart, its recommended you replace the needle/seat o-rings...they get hard, and can leak fuel causing a rich engine condition that gets hard to tune out. Arctic cat sells those o rings separately, polaris doesn't.
Napa does. and for Gods sake get Viton

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Polaris P/N 3130533, Napa 730-5017 and if your by a hyd shop get 010 or -10 brown viton orings. I bought a bag of 100 from Mc Master Carr for 10 bucks. My sleds and Scramblers all use this same oring. I switched out no less that 10 sleds and 4 wheelers this year due to crappy fuel. I buy brown so I can see they have been changed out.

Reactions: too slow

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
McMaster Carr bag of 100
5267T21

Be good for life on them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts