Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A $2.3 million station that will serve as a dispersal point for bicycle, snowmobile and all-terrain enthusiasts is being developed at a gateway to Minnesota's Iron Range.

Groundwork for the two-story, 14,500-square-foot station is being laid at the northeast intersection of U.S. Highway 53 and Minnesota Highway 37 East at Eveleth. Construction is expected to take about a year.

The station will serve as a jumping-off point to Northeastern Minnesota bicycle, snowmobile and ATV trails.

"From a snowmobile standpoint, this looks like a real good idea," said Jack Matthew of Hibbing, trail coordinator of the Pathblazers snowmobile club of Chisholm, Hibbing and Side Lake.

"Even though there's been differences within the users, they still all have a lot of things in common," Matthew said. "Whether you're an ATV, snowmobile or bicycle person, you all need a trail. It's not motorized versus non-motorized -- it's just good to be able to go out and enjoy a trail."

To be included in the site are parking; dropoff areas for snowmobiles, ATVs and bicycles; locker rooms and showers; restaurant space; gathering rooms; restrooms; bicycle rentals, and office space.

Construction will start in the spring of '06. :luxhello:

The Mesaba Station is scheduled to open in the fall of 2006.

Link

SOME MORE INFO-

-Oberstar says adding to Mesabi Trail won't stop any time soon.

“We will have the opportunity in the very near future, in the next five years, to link the Vermilion Iron Range, the Mesaba Iron Range, the Cayuna Iron Range in this continuous, scenic trail through Minnesota and American History.”

-complete construction of Mesabi Station along the 132-mile recreational trail known as Mesabi Trail and located in St. Louis County.

-Completing 50 miles of the Mesabi Trail from Grand Rapids to Ely

-Onamia, Soo Line Trail Bridge: Construction of a bridge for the Soo Line Trail over Highway 169 to service pedestrians, bicycles, ATV’s, and snowmobiles, Onamia

-Crow Wing County, Paul Bunyan Trail: Constructing the Paul Bunyan trail from Mississippi River Bridge Trail to Crow Wing State Park

-Baxter, Paul Bunyan Trail Bridge: Construct a bridge over Excelsior Road for the Paul Bunyan Trail to facilitate bike, pedestrian and snowmobile use

-Duluth, Munger Trail Extension: Extending the Munger Trail to connect with the Lakewalk Trail in Duluth.

-

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Our club is finishing the trail from Eveleth to 37 (Hibbing Exit) sometime in the near future. This will be another vital link of the trail system to get from the Duluth area to the Range without having to go to Hoyt lakes or Hibbing to get there, straight up the middle from Canyon to Eveleth

·
Registered
696 Posts
Trailhawk-I'm excited about that connection!!! That ditch gets rough in some areas!! :D When is that supposed to take place? Can I hope for this year?

Ronder-That is interesting!!! Thanks for the information! I think the Iron Range could use a bit of help these days.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
On the surface that sounds good. I had a very hard time getting around Duluth when I rode from Minneapolis to Grand Marais. However, it makes me nervous that there will be tarred paths and I won't be able to ride from there with my studded snowmobile. Anyone?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I am thinking it will be not until next year when we will be able to get it finished, going through the paper work end of it now, as this takes time, it took 4 years of paper work before we could put the bridge across the St. Louis River so hopefully we can get going on the actual work next year or maybe just before the frost leaves to get into the wetter spots and do the clearing with a dozer. We just got the OK to use a RR crossing south of town, it was our biggest obsatcle getting the connection done

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Gives the residents of Minnesota more reason to ride up north. Some of the nicest trail systems in the country in the iron Range area.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
[attachment=467571:18807.jpg]]Some MN snowmobile trail news-

-complete construction of Mesabi Station along the 132-mile recreational trail known as Mesabi Trail and located in St. Louis County.

-Completing 50 miles of the Mesabi Trail from Grand Rapids to Ely

-Onamia, Soo Line Trail Bridge: Construction of a bridge for the Soo Line Trail over Highway 169 to service pedestrians, bicycles, ATV’s, and snowmobiles, Onamia

-Crow Wing County, Paul Bunyan Trail: Constructing the Paul Bunyan trail from Mississippi River Bridge Trail to Crow Wing State Park

-Baxter, Paul Bunyan Trail Bridge: Construct a bridge over Excelsior Road for the Paul Bunyan Trail to facilitate bike, pedestrian and snowmobile use

-Duluth, Munger Trail Extension: Extending the Munger Trail to connect with the Lakewalk Trail in Duluth.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The Mesabi trail is mainly for yuppies riding bicycles and not for snowmobiles since it is paved and is not accesable for sleds but only in a few areas. They spend all this damn money on paved bike trails, I would like to know who pays for them all, if I ever found out the money comes from sled funds I would protest all of them with big signs cutting them down. and finding out how to make them usable for sleds since the sledders spend more money in tourism than those bike riding yups, who even bring there own water and spend nothing up here except for a room at a motel

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
Originally posted by trailhawk100@Oct 2 2005, 05:34 PM
The Mesabi trail is mainly for yuppies riding bicycles and not for snowmobiles since it is paved and is not accesable for sleds but only in a few areas. They spend all this damn money on paved bike trails, I would like to know who pays for them all, if I ever found out the money comes from sled funds I would protest all of them with big signs cutting them down. and finding out how to make them usable for sleds since the sledders spend more money in tourism than those bike riding yups, who even bring there own water and spend nothing up here except for a room at a motel
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=904135
[/quote]
The money comes from taxes paid on gasoline from owners of off road vehicles. Every time you fill your sled ( or 4 wheeler ) the $ is split for , 30% motorized vihicle trails , 40% multi use trails , 30% non motorized use

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
TAR or no TAR?

By the way, when I think "Tar trails", I want to kill someone.... :augen41:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts