Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very intrigued by the newish mbrp quiet can and curious if anyone has any experience with them. Can't seem to find much about them on YouTube other than on doo 850. Really wanting to get rid of the suitcase. I have a mountain can and I don't mind the noise but I do a lot of trail riding and really don't like being "that guy". From the video they have on the doo's it seems like they've done a really good job on actually keeping pretty close to stock sound.

·
Registered
2022 VR1 650 137 (1.5 Storm)
179 Posts
If they call it a Quiet Can it should be quieter than the factory muffler. That is a product I would buy.
Very intrigued by the newish mbrp quiet can and curious if anyone has any experience with them. Can't seem to find much about them on YouTube other than on doo 850. Really wanting to get rid of the suitcase. I have a mountain can and I don't mind the noise but I do a lot of trail riding and really don't like being "that guy". From the video they have on the doo's it seems like they've done a really good job on actually keeping pretty close to stock sound.
Rode with a friend last year had it on his 850 XCR. At idle it was not loud at all. I rode right behind him I couldn’t hear it over my 650. Even when we were sitting on our sleds and he took off it wasn’t too loud but you could tell it wasn’t stock. I was looking at them too. I’m still thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
The MBRP Quiet Can is fairly quiet trail can. I've tried nearly everyone out there.
The SLP Trail Can is quieter than many of them, but I hate the tinny tone of it.

"YES" Flame away and crucify me for being the bad guy that gets trails closed which would be completely untrue.
I don't ever ride around in small towns where trails run through people's backyards. I ride out in the woods far from society and don't annoy anybody but the really anal guys that despise cans.
When I happen to need to get gas or go to a restaurant, you'd be surprised how quiet most trail cans are when you're not feeding the fun flipper. You can be quiet whenever you need to be.
I suppose some people will think I should burn in hell for this but it's how and where you decide to BLAT it that gets trails closed and this is the truth of it.
I have many places that I will ride with a quiet trail can and not have a worry in the world about it being a nuisance to anybody.
Sometimes when I travel to less known areas that I'm unfamiliar with the can comes off and the Lead Suitcase goes back on.
I think trail cans for many places and the respectful people that use them should not be a problem AT ALL.
However, they are a problem because of the disrespectful people that use them and do all the things they shouldn't with them.

There was a day when all sleds sang a note and loud sled cans were everywhere and hardly anybody complained about it.
Today there's so many Nancy's and Karen's that are just looking for something to complain and bitch about.
There as much the problem as the guys that don't give a rat's ass and blat them wherever they want.

Trail Cans and Quiet cans can be ridden respectfully. Mountain and Race cans are quite a different story.
In my opinion the MBRP is a good quiet can that can be ridden without causing KAOS.
Will a warden know the difference if you go ripping by on the Fun Flipper? Yes, you will get a ticket if he's that kind of warden.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
423 Posts
Put your hard earned money to other things. This from a guy that thought "ah what the hell" last year and bought one. It's quiet but louder than stock. No HP gains (probably actually loses). It does save weight but does it really matter if I'm 200+ lbs, love to eat cheese burgers and fries at lunch stops and load the sled down with oil and gas and luggage. First ride last year with it on I got pulled over, got a ticket went home and put it up for sale on Kijiji. Some other sucker can roll the dice all season on possible fines. I don't need the aggrevation.

When you think about it the marketing is fantastic. Somehow a company got me to part with $400 to buy something for my sled that doesn't make the sled any better and is SUPPOSED to sound like it isn't even there. Brilliant.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put your hard earned money to other things. This from a guy that thought "ah what the hell" last year and bought one. It's quiet but louder than stock. No HP gains (probably actually loses). It does save weight but does it really matter if I'm 200+ lbs, love to eat cheese burgers and fries at lunch stops and load the sled down with oil and gas and luggage. First ride last year with it on I got pulled over, got a ticket went home and put it up for sale on Kijiji. Some other sucker can roll the dice all season on possible fines. I don't need the aggrevation.

When you think about it it the market is fantastic. Somehow a company got me to part with $400 to buy something for my sled that doesn't make the sled any better and is SUPPOSED to sound like it isn't even there. Brilliant.
What area did you get a fine in?

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Generally quieter means heavier, and won't make much difference vs the factory can's weight, if its actually quieter. Heck you can cram a potato up the exhaust outlet to make it quiet, but its not going to run well if at all. Manufactures go through a lot of trouble to have a can made that still puts out the most power yet meets the noise db specs.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
The MBRP Quiet Can is fairly quiet trail can. I've tried nearly everyone out there.
The SLP Trail Can is quieter than many of them, but I hate the tinny tone of it.

"YES" Flame away and crucify me for being the bad guy that gets trails closed which would be completely untrue.
I don't ever ride around in small towns where trails run through people's backyards. I ride out in the woods far from society and don't annoy anybody but the really anal guys that despise cans.
When I happen to need to get gas or go to a restaurant, you'd be surprised how quiet most trail cans are when you're not feeding the fun flipper. You can be quiet whenever you need to be.
I suppose some people will think I should burn in hell for this but it's how and where you decide to BLAT it that gets trails closed and this is the truth of it.
I have many places that I will ride with a quiet trail can and not have a worry in the world about it being a nuisance to anybody.
Sometimes when I travel to less known areas that I'm unfamiliar with the can comes off and the Lead Suitcase goes back on.
I think trail cans for many places and the respectful people that use them should not be a problem AT ALL.
However, they are a problem because of the disrespectful people that use them and do all the things they shouldn't with them.

There was a day when all sleds sang a note and loud sled cans were everywhere and hardly anybody complained about it.
Today there's so many Nancy's and Karen's that are just looking for something to complain and bitch about.
There as much the problem as the guys that don't give a rat's ass and blat them wherever they want.

Trail Cans and Quiet cans can be ridden respectfully. Mountain and Race cans are quite a different story.
In my opinion the MBRP is a good quiet can that can be ridden without causing KAOS.
Will a warden know the difference if you go ripping by on the Fun Flipper? Yes, you will get a ticket if he's that kind of warden.
Some states like quebec have simple exhaust laws...if you get stopped at a registration check, and the exhaust system is not 100% factory, you get a ticket. They don't care one bit how quiet it is.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
423 Posts
I can see how people would want to change out the suitcase so they could check and adjust the chain easier. Shouldn’t have to remove the suitcase to do that.
The Quiet can is the largest though. I didn't have mine on long enough but I don't think it was going to make chain adjustment much easier. You could see it but some funky angles to get your hands and wrenches into.

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
3,057 Posts
Suitcase is a grossly heavy pig. If Polaris would make a lighter and smaller can less people would buy aftermarket cans.
I've never gone out shopping for loud cans. Just looking for a lighter option that is still on the quieter side.
Hard to find because most trail cans still Blat too loud at W.O.T. for my liking.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris 850 SBA
289 Posts
Ah... the old to can or not to can debate!!!
I've been running an MBRP trail can for years with no complaints or issues with the law. That said, I've got a head on my shoulders!! I'm in love with the way it sounds over the stocker and yes it's much easier to get at the chain tensioner.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XC 850 SwitchBack 146
2,012 Posts

When you think about it it the market is fantastic. Somehow a company got me to part with $400 to buy something for my sled that doesn't make the sled any better and is SUPPOSED to sound like it isn't even there. Brilliant.
So.......... you just got another "sucker" to part with his money then?? People who are suddenly "woke" get rid of their cans & are just passing them along..... how have you fixed the (perceived) problem? I'm sure you are a good guy but that's being a hypocrite. Take yer hit & throw it out if you truly care about the trails getting closed.
I really like a nice tone & smaller exhaust (weight & ease of service) but all the bitchy panties out there have wrecked that now, so I roll with the OEM muffler even though I truly believe that if you are responsible in & around towns it's not a problem as jmaxdox said.
Littering & trespassing is more likely a bigger deal as sleds are loud by nature. Some people just hate sleds period as we all know & will dig for any reason, is what it is as it goes.
I like the SLP Lightweight Silencers FWIW.
I may get one.
I can give a fuck what anyone thinks about any of this really I guess, JMO at the end of the day.

·
Registered
2020 XCR 850
423 Posts
So.......... you just got another "sucker" to part with his money then?? People who are suddenly "woke" get rid of their cans & are just passing them along..... how have you fixed the (perceived) problem? I'm sure you are a good guy but that's being a hypocrite. Take yer hit & throw it out if you truly care about the trails getting closed.
I really like a nice tone & smaller exhaust (weight & ease of service) but all the bitchy panties out there have wrecked that now, so I roll with the OEM muffler even though I truly believe that if you are responsible in & around towns it's not a problem as jmaxdox said.
Littering & trespassing is more likely a bigger deal as sleds are loud by nature. Some people just hate sleds period as we all know & will dig for any reason, is what it is as it goes.
I like the SLP Lightweight Silencers FWIW.
I may get one.
I can give a fuck what anyone thinks about any of this really I guess, JMO at the end of the day.
Not sure why you're quoting me. . I never said anything about closing trails or giving a shit about noise or being woke? I gave my experience as someone who has owned one. To me, because they aren't legal where I ride, it wasn't worth it to potentially get another fine and I don't think the benefits (slight size reduction) is worth the cost. Obviously others don't mind spending the money and taking the chance or else MBRP wouldn't sell them so I'm just fine passing mine along to those willing to roll the dice.

·
Registered
48,437 Posts
Suitcase is a grossly heavy pig. If Polaris would make a lighter and smaller can less people would buy aftermarket cans.
I've never gone out shopping for loud cans. Just looking for a lighter option that is still on the quieter side.
Hard to find because most trail cans still Blat too loud at W.O.T. for my liking.
Imo, lighter means louder. When your dealing with 800cc plus sleds, its hard to manufacture a steel can that will weigh less, but still remain quiet. Maybe they can using titanium, but are owners willing to pay the price?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts