Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to throw something out there to see if anyone has experienced similar problems. I purchased an MBRP can for my 07 IQ 600 CFI last year and put in on the sled. Immediately I started having trouble. Irregular idling and severve mid range hesitation. I removed the can after about a 100 miles and replaced it with the stock silencer. The next time the sled was out it burnt down the PTO cylinder...lean condition. Polaris blamed it on the ECU. THe motor was rebuilt and it is running strong ever since with the stock can. Just had the reflash and found very little difference. Recently I put the MBRP can on my buddies 06 Fusion 600.....MBRP lists the same stock number for each sled......and his sled began acting strange. Irregular idling and the DET light came on at WOT. Pulled the plugs from his sled and noticed that the PTO side was really lean with white residue on the plug. THe mag side was much darker. Ran a plug test with new plugs at about 1/4 mile....pulled the plugs and the mag side was fine however the PTO had white residue on it again. Took the can off and replaced it with the stock can. Maybe it is just a coincidence that both machines acted the same way. I called MBRP last year and they refused to do anything about it saying the can was tested on the CFI sleds and worked great. I sent an email yesterday reagridng the fusion and they said they would look into getting some from of warranty for me.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
I thought slowing the sled down was enough reason not to run one.Once you add in the chance of a meltdown Im surprised people still buy them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
i worked at a dealer not a couple of years ago. silencers are fine for the sleds, however, if you really want to put one on and are addimate about putting one on, then use an slp silencer on a polaris sled. they are the only company that has truly done the testing with the front office at polaris on their sleds. there systems are the best for poo. this isnt a marketing pitch for them, but there is no reason why poo would put them in their pure polaris parts if they didnt work and didnt make the sleds sound better! other companies claim to do the work on a polaris sled, but becuase most silencers are able to crossfit sleds, the company producing them, only takes into consideration the one model they have most of the time! ( like your 600 cfi and your buddies fusion!)- btw it is a common silencer, but the mapping and idleing and netural curve of the motor are obviously all different with different sleds regardless of engine! im not bashing the other compaines, but that is merely just something ive heard! if all else fails, buy something the manufacturer recommends, bc when it does fail, and it may not, but on that one time it does, you may get shafted outta a warranty, or it may be harder to get some answers for your problems! just my .02 good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i worked at a dealer not a couple of years ago. silencers are fine for the sleds, however, if you really want to put one on and are addimate about putting one on, then use an slp silencer on a polaris sled. they are the only company that has truly done the testing with the front office at polaris on their sleds. there systems are the best for poo. this isnt a marketing pitch for them, but there is no reason why poo would put them in their pure polaris parts if they didnt work and didnt make the sleds sound better! other companies claim to do the work on a polaris sled, but becuase most silencers are able to crossfit sleds, the company producing them, only takes into consideration the one model they have most of the time! ( like your 600 cfi and your buddies fusion!)- btw it is a common silencer, but the mapping and idleing and netural curve of the motor are obviously all different with different sleds regardless of engine! im not bashing the other compaines, but that is merely just something ive heard! if all else fails, buy something the manufacturer recommends, bc when it does fail, and it may not, but on that one time it does, you may get shafted outta a warranty, or it may be harder to get some answers for your problems! just my .02 good luck[/b]

SHortly after I purchased the can I did a little research....maybe I sould have done it first....and found out that the SLP is the best product for the polaris. The reason I bought the MBRP is that I ran one on my 2000 XC 600. I ran that machine like it was stolen for almost 8000 miles and never had to put a wrench to the engine....in fact the machine is still running fine. For now I'm just going to stick with the stock can....it sounds pretty good anyway. Proabably put the SLP pipe and can on it in the future. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
fusion 900 owners have stated that the slp can alone made the sled lose power.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Those MBRP noisemakers are junk. Everyone I know who has one has told me that their sled got slower after it was installed.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I bought a dynaport can for mine after it was new and I talked to the owner rich daly at the snow show, he said his can increased hp about 3-5hp. he also told me that mbrp doesnt even own a dyno so there for do not test any cans they sell for hp loss :nuts:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a dynaport can for mine after it was new and I talked to the owner rich daly at the snow show, he said his can increased hp about 3-5hp. he also told me that mbrp doesnt even own a dyno so there for do not test any cans they sell for hp loss :nuts:[/b]
Hi fusion4me just to make you think alittle we have an independent dyno do our testing .
We have had info from Skidoo Dealers give info that in their one day school book say that we are the only company out of 5-6 canisters Companys tested that made hp. I know every one has there own opinion just dont talk bad about the people when you dont have all the info please.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hi fusion4me just to make you think alittle we have an independent dyno do our testing .
We have had info from Skidoo Dealers give info that in their one day school book say that we are the only company out of 5-6 canisters Companys tested that made hp. I know every one has there own opinion just dont talk bad about the people when you dont have all the info please.[/b]
I was just passing along what the owner of dynaport told me when i was at the 2006 novi snow show, i was going to purchase a mbrp because thats what i had on my 99 xcr800 but out of the 6 women at the mbrp booth none of them knew anything about hp gain or loss. and i'm not talking about skidoo here!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I own a MBRP can for a '05 900 fusion.

With MBRP can on my sled there is a lean spot at 4700-5000 RPM that feels like a miss or hesitation.

Dealer ran my sled against an identical one last year, mine was 3-4 sleds behind in the same distance, he then switched the can from my sled to theirs and the stock muffler into mine and the sleds switched places.

Also if you use the same can for multiple applications then obviously there is no research into optimising the performance of each engine type or size.
Or if there is research no one there cares about it and the profit margin is all that is cared about.

The I have MBRP can is a straight through design with 2" inlet and outlet. for $260 it should do more than save weight. Hell glasspacks are $20 at NAPA

Last of all the MBRP can I have is louder than hell, Idle sounds decent (a bit metallic sounding but ok) midrange is ok, full throttle is absolutley obnoxious. Sounds like a freaking chain saw, I dont know anyone that wants to run a 900cc chainsaw all day long.
All my friends that I ride with hate it (15 of them ages 17-42)

Last of all I bought a factory muffler to replace the MBRP.I am very happy with it, I have had no hesitation or miss at all, it is a bit too quiet but I can live with that. I really havent noticed much diference with the ride from adding the weight of the factory can back to the sled, maybe if I was in deep powder but for trail riding it is fine.

The chance of burning down my sled and missing out on weeks of riding is not worth the chance. Not to mention the money to rebuild or the stress and aggravation of being stranded somewhere out on the trail.

We sledders seem to be surrounded by a support industry that doesn't always seem to do he best for the people that they serve.
I rarely see any dyno charts supporting any performance increases, if I do they usually only include the RPM band where the product outperforms the factory piece. (gaining 3HP at peak RPM is not worth losing 5HP through all the rest of the usable RPM curve)

This is what happened to me and the rest may be my opinion it seems to be one that is supported over and over (and over) by sledders everywhere.
RD

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a follow up on the can issue. MBRP has agreed to replace the can hastle free and the even agreed to allow the dealer to give a refund if the dealer agrees....still working on that. This thread was not intended to bash MBRP on my behalf, instead I just wanted to see if anyone was having similar problems. I can't see it possible for just one side to lean out after installing the can however when the same thing happened on two different sleds I was a little curious. After reading about other experiences I think I'm just going to stick with the stock cannister...thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts