Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indy XC 650
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made 3 of these for our sleds over the summer. Easy and relatively inexpensive . Powered from face shield connection using a splitter and inline fuse.
Parts
dual revolution light , 2 amp fuse, skidoo y splitter and power cord with rca plug from the web
outdoor electrical box, cover, toggle switch , fuse holder and 3m auto tape form Home Depot
misc wire connectors, caulk
all around $70-80
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Wheel
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
141 Posts
Green means last in line yellow means more coming and red strobe is for distress. No hand signals needed.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Polaris 850 SBA
201 Posts
Got to be honest. I love the idea of keeping all of us safer by not having to take a hand off the bars to signal, Not to keen on the look of it tho.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Green means last in line yellow means more coming and red strobe is for distress. No hand signals needed.

Interesting...

I have done a lot of riding in my time and this is the first I have heard of this. Is it a east coast thing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Interesting...

I have done a lot of riding in my time and this is the first I have heard of this. Is it a east coast thing?

Thanks!
Yes it is, the states are running adds in the magazines to keep both hands on the bars at all times. Snowmobilers aren’t as resilient as they used to be.
I like you were able to make that on the cheap and for the safety of you and other riders, but that is fugly. I would have holesawed that into a panel before mounting a cast w/p box on the side of a 13k+ machine.

·
Registered
2021 Indy XC 650
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is, the states are running adds in the magazines to keep both hands on the bars at all times. Snowmobilers aren’t as resilient as they used to be.
I like you were able to make that on the cheap and for the safety of you and other riders, but that is fugly. I would have holesawed that into a panel before mounting a cast w/p box on the side of a 13k+ machine.
The light and clamps easily detach from the sled with no holes for a better resale. As far as the aesthetics go I care more about safety of my wife, son and myself. While it may not look factory I admit, I am confident it will work and also the satisfaction of knowing I made them. Also the fact I saved a few hundred bucks to put toward the trips this winter helps.

·
Registered
2021 SB Assault 850 - Proud member of Southern Tug Hill Sno-Riders
937 Posts
Great idea. Rarely see it used up in the Northeast. Once in a while. I do think its cool. I see more and more people do not even use hand signals, but in the same breath we travel at such speeds now compared to the old days, maybe taking hands off the bars is counter productive.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not sure how bright in the day time the homemade light will be ..... but we passed multiple sleds with the manufactured ones think they were ride safe ??? Anyways I was impressed how bright they were and easy to see.

·
Registered
22 XCR 850 136
115 Posts
This is something not recognized system wide. Pretty pointless in my area as most people riding have no clue they're being followed thinking they are last up in a group. Would need to first implement huge mirrors to resolve that problem.

IMO, At the end of the day, the only logical way to apply safety for predicting oncoming traffic is to always expect someone anytime anywhere. Anything else can create a false sense of security. Hand signals are/or a light system is really just for curtesy.

Dan

·
Registered
21 xrs 850 renegade
245 Posts
Why would you tell someone that there is nobody behind me so you can go as fast as you want now?? Who are they going to blame when you give them a green light then hit somebody in the next corner?? At some point someone is going to get sued because you told Joe he has a empty trail ahead and then he hits someone!!!

·
Registered
Matryx Assault 850 and Fully Loaded Titan Beast
2,151 Posts
Why would you tell someone that there is nobody behind me so you can go as fast as you want now?? Who are they going to blame when you give them a green light then hit somebody in the next corner?? At some point someone is going to get sued because you told Joe he has a empty trail ahead and then he hits someone!!!
I believe we are always supposed to be in control of our sleds aren't we? Anybody that gets confused and thinks the green light is the signal to rip ass the trail like they are now the only one left on them should just stay off the trails.
I don't have a ride light but wouldn't it be the same safety issue with hand signals when the last guy in line motions that he is the last guy in his pack of riders?

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Ive seen one group in MN with them. I knew what it meant. At the very least someone who has no idea what they are might just be confused for a bit. Possibly slowing down.

The more people do it to the sleds the more people will know what the colors mean. And the happier the dont ever take your hands off the handlebars crowd will be.

Looks good OP.

·
Registered
2020 Indy XCR 850
486 Posts
NYS Parks and Rec. came out two years ago (as I recall) against the use of hand signals. Their logic (right for once) was that it was dangerous to take a hand off the bars and it gave oncoming riders the false sense that the coast was clear. We’ve all gotten the last rider hand signal with another group right behind that rider. Hand signals are pointless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts