Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - my father has been having circulation problems in his hands over the last couple years, and the topic of a heated brake lever keeps coming up. I have seen Skinz stuff out there for other sleds, but not a Matryx. He has a 22 VR1 850 on the way - any thoughts on what will work?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
might be better off with heated gloves then, be closer to the skin and will help keep blood flow going to fingers all the time, just a thought, sorry no help on a heated lever!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi all - my father has been having circulation problems in his hands over the last couple years, and the topic of a heated brake lever keeps coming up. I have seen Skinz stuff out there for other sleds, but not a Matryx. He has a 22 VR1 850 on the way - any thoughts on what will work?

Thanks
Matryx chassis uses the same "Stealth" brake master as what Yamaha and Cat have been running since 2019, so the Skinz lever for those will fit. You may have to adapt the wiring to fit, however.

That said, I agree that gauntlets or heated gloves are likely better options.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

He was already planning on grabbing heated gloves, but I was just curious about this since he has been complaining that it hasn’t an option on his last few sleds, and he claims this will be his last new one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also, if you already haven't considered going with the larger windshield, that helps out block the wind as well. I ran the medium windshield and wore the fly ignitor pro heated gloves. That with the smart warmers, I usually had to turn down the heat on both glove and grip.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I struggled with cold hands on my Matryx all year. Sled will be going in to get the LH Smartwarmer update. I will likely put on a heated brake lever also. Went through several pairs of gloves and even added hand guards. Nothing seemed to make much of a difference.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,396 Posts
I thought the heated grips on the Matryx are leaps and bounds ahead of what Polaris has offered before....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Removal of the brake handle is an easy task that can be accomplished with a bfh.
Problem solved, no thanks necessary for the suggestion but is appreciated.

·
Registered
2022 Polaris XCR 850
1,356 Posts
I have a pair of FXR Recon heated gloves that work great, problem is that they are BIG. I ride with my left index finger on the brake, at the ready most of the time. But when I'm not, I've had those gloves get somewhat tangled between the grip & the handguard more than once, that's an adrenalin rush..... That was on my '19 XC though, got a new XCR coming. Guess I'll see how that's set up. I don't care for giant wind shields but a MID sized may be in the future. If a heated brake handle was available I'd be on that.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I second the tall windshield. My 19 XC 850 came with one. Always hated the look of them, but that was one warm sled. Ordered the tall on my 22 XCR 850. Will probably be the only one Polaris builds. Don’t care how I look any more. Comfort is king.
I also rock the tall windshield! We can always use the excuse that it helps with top speed! But I like to be warm really, and also love my FXR heated Recon gloves, best gloves I've had in 33 years of riding.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He’s used gauntlets but prefers handguards/gloves.

We’ll see if a Matryx specific lever comes out from Skinz, and will likely go with the Hayes one if nothing comes out. My girlfriend has the heated FXR gloves and loved them, so that may be the way to go for him also.

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
2016 1200 Renegade X
121 Posts
If you are not familiar with Coldguards, check them out. I’ve had a set for 5 seasons now and they are great. Block the wind and keep the heat from the grips in. Not a bulky as gauntlets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapajunk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts

Thanks
Forget that skinz lever it's horrible! Not the heat the shape,I'm over 50 myself and I rode for one hour with that square uncomfortable p.o.s! It's Bad!! Maybe heated gloves?

·
Premium Member
2021 Pro-S 850 137" 2016 SB 800 Pro-S 136"
4,596 Posts
Forget that skinz lever it's horrible! Not the heat the shape,I'm over 50 myself and I rode for one hour with that square uncomfortable p.o.s! It's Bad!! Maybe heated gloves?
I plan to try the Skinz APBL100-GR short lever this year, so I can hopefully keep just a finger on it most times. Found my gloves occasionally got caught up between the handle bar and lever since the OEM brake lever is a little longer and closer to the handle bar than I desire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I plan to try the Skinz APBL100-GR short lever this year, so I can hopefully keep just a finger on it most times. Found my gloves occasionally got caught up between the handle bar and lever since the OEM brake lever is a little longer and closer to the handle bar than I desire.
Do you want to buy mine? I don't know if shipping would be but I'll take 75$ for mine used 1 hr! It's not heated though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts