Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get the cover plate off the chain case. The rear bolt on the caliper is really buried. I can get a socket on it to loosen it but I dont know what kind of fun I will have trying to get the bolt back in. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks for getting this rear bolt out and more importantly back in??

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
Trying to get the cover plate off the chain case. The rear bolt on the caliper is really buried. I can get a socket on it to loosen it but I dont know what kind of fun I will have trying to get the bolt back in. Does anyone have any suggestions or tricks for getting this rear bolt out and more importantly back in??
Be sure your piston is pushed in for a little wiggle room. Have the bolt in the caliper when u slide it over the disc. Takes practice and patience. Several different wrenchs with different angles and lengths and both 6 and 12 point opening. Same for sockets and ratchets. A 1/8 turn a 1/4 turn swtching tools back and forth. It can be frustrating

Reactions: brt

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
THere is lots of room for a ratchet with a swiveling head. I use one hand from behind caliper and don’t have much trouble at all. Stop on fine tooth swivel head ratchet and six point 15mm shallow socket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your input. I will keep working at it. Fingers are too short and/or hands are too fat! lol

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Does the caliber have to be completely dismounted? Can the front bolt be removed and just loosen the back bolt and then swing it up and out of the way? Ratcheting closed end wrenches work well in tight spots.

·
15,148 Posts
Does the caliber have to be completely dismounted? Can the front bolt be removed and just loosen the back bolt and then swing it up and out of the way? Ratcheting closed end wrenches work well in tight spots.
Nope on the swivel

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
What really tops it on the Matryx is when you finally get that rear bolt out is getting the caliper out past the rigid mounted coolant bottle then back in.

·
Registered
2021 XCR Switchback 850
2,365 Posts
Is this chaincase/caliper setup the same as the Axys, with just less room to maneuver?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this chaincase/caliper setup the same as the Axys, with just less room to maneuver?
I believe so. I had the cover off of my 16 SB and it was tight for room there seems to be less room with the Matryx. I got the cover off but like I mentioned, the fun will start when I want to put the rear bolt in on assembly. To take the cover off you must remove the 2 screws holding the belly pan on the bottom of the frame. You need to push the belly pan downward in order to be able to rotate the cover forward to remove it.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Its a pain no doubt but it can be done. one ratchet click at a time lol. A fine tooth ratchet helps a lot. Also you can break the plastic mold tab off the coolant bottle for more room

·
15,148 Posts
Its a pain no doubt but it can be done. one ratchet click at a time lol. A fine tooth ratchet helps a lot. Also you can break the plastic mold tab off the coolant bottle for more room

That voids the warranty:cool:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I just lowered the gear ratio in mine Saturday. I broke that back screw loose with a ratchet and socket and tightened with the same. Backing it out and screwing it back in I used a gear wrench. I cursed a couple times but it wasn't a big deal. Removing the sensor that picks up on the brake rotor gave much needed wrench clearance.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
swivel head ratchet makes it easy. Changed track twice last year, and about 4 gear changes. Longest part for me is removing exhaust and battery tray.

Reactions: Sledtuner360
1 - 16 of 16 Posts