Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are looking to do a backpack-style trip for four days in March. I was hoping to run our trip itinerary by all of you for your input. I want to make sure it is feasible before I start booking hotels.

We plan to drop in St. Iggy and go from there. We would like to head east out of St. Iggy to see Cedarville, then head through Kinross to Paradise. Visit the town and the falls (of course), then stay the first night in Munising. The next day we would see Pictured Rocks, go through Big Bay, Michigamme, and stop the second night in the Houghton/Hancock area. Day three would be spent in the Keewenaw, down to the Porcupine Mountains, and then we would start heading back east through Baraga. We would look to stay the third night around Crystal Falls. Our fourth day would be spent riding back to St. Iggy and our trip would conclude that evening. We are looking to do 100 to 150 miles per day. Is this a feasible route or would we be stretching ourselves too far each day (especially the 4th day)? Also, are there any areas we are missing that any of you recommend we spend some more time in. Since we don't get up north much due to the winter months being our profession's busy season, we just really want to do a lot of riding in the 4 days. Thanks in advance for your input. Hopefully we will have snow by March 10th!

·
Vendor
17,630 Posts
My brother and I are looking to do a backpack-style trip for four days in March. I was hoping to run our trip itinerary by all of you for your input. I want to make sure it is feasible before I start booking hotels.

We plan to drop in St. Iggy and go from there. We would like to head east out of St. Iggy to see Cedarville, then head through Kinross to Paradise. Visit the town and the falls (of course), then stay the first night in Munising. The next day we would see Pictured Rocks, go through Big Bay, Michigamme, and stop the second night in the Houghton/Hancock area. Day three would be spent in the Keewenaw, down to the Porcupine Mountains, and then we would start heading back east through Baraga. We would look to stay the third night around Crystal Falls. Our fourth day would be spent riding back to St. Iggy and our trip would conclude that evening. We are looking to do 100 to 150 miles per day. Is this a feasible route or would we be stretching ourselves too far each day (especially the 4th day)? Also, are there any areas we are missing that any of you recommend we spend some more time in. Since we don't get up north much due to the winter months being our profession's busy season, we just really want to do a lot of riding in the 4 days. Thanks in advance for your input. Hopefully we will have snow by March 10th![/b]
4 days seems really tight for that....5 would be more realistic. Be careful with the southeast portion of the U.P. in March it might be thin to non exsistant.

·
Registered
872 Posts
i wouldnt count on all of the usual trails in march. I was up there last year for st patricks day and we found some of the trails plowed down to dirt for logging. (forgot the trail number but it was between newberry and paridise)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I've never done it, but I dont think you can make that first day with that route. Ceadervill area trails are fairly low speed compaired to other areas, and you plotted the long way. More do-able is St. Iggy North to the falls, and that is still a ride.

As others said, March riding, is usually OK, but this year?!?!?!?! who knows.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Day 1 looks a little long, not to say you couldn't do it, but you'd need to leave really early. If you want to take that route, try staying at the Rainbow Lodge or in Grand Marais. That will make day 2 a monster as well if you want to be in Houghton/Hancock. Like Paul said, 5 days is more realistic and then you're not killing yourself and you can enjoy the riding a little more.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I've never done it, but I dont think you can make that first day with that route. Ceadervill area trails are fairly low speed compaired to other areas, and you plotted the long way. More do-able is St. Iggy North to the falls, and that is still a ride.

As others said, March riding, is usually OK, but this year?!?!?!?! who knows.[/b]
Yes, Neil is correct about Day 1.

From Strongs to Christmas in the U.P. is 220 mile one way, did it many times. And that is using some shortcuts I know to get to Paradise without having to go way east first, or through Hulbert. St. Iggy to Munising using your route is going to be about 350 I think.

I think for day one you would end up in Grand Marias or Shingleton at best, and that would be late in the day.

Please take this from someone that has saddlebagged East to West in the U.P. multiple times. And trust me, I don't think there is anywhere I haven't ridden. Ask a few of the people on here, or in Biskit's closet.

Do yourself a favor and make your trip more enjoyable, and not so much HAVE TO. I advise you pick to ride the West or East side of the U.P. in two seperate years. You will be able to see many more things that you are mentioning. If you just want to chase the odometer and ride 300 miles+ a day,. Follow your current plan.

If you want to sight see, and do 200 a day, mainly in the daylight in March, be less aggressive. I am not trying to crush your spirit, but share some of the mistakes I have made. My wife and I rode 302 miles on a Saturday last year in March. And never got west of Newberry, and never rode the same trail twice. We had a blast doing it too. At least until I ever ride a sled again, I have the memory of my last ride probably being one of the best I have ever had.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
A lot of really good replies here. You should definitely heed Beagle's advise. Toivo is right on the money, too. You should start in St. Ignorance, head to Paradise, then to Munising. From there you could get to Houghton/Hancock, gonna be a long ride, but you can do it. From there your trip should go as you planned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My group take a trip to the U.P every year the 1st. week in March. The only thing that you need to watch for is a warm up like last year. The year before we did a loop from St. Ignace to Soo to Munising and back to St Ignace. The trial were great and there was not alot of traffic. I talk to a groomer operator that told me that the best riding is in March. He said that they usually have the most snow and not alot of traffic on the trails.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. I do most of my riding in the NLP and am not real familiar with how far it is from point to point in the UP. I am definitely not looking to just pile on the miles during the trip and I would like to enjoy the scenery by riding mostly during the day. So, it sounds like I will have to drive further (by car) into the central/northern portion of the UP in order to make it to the Western UP, which is where I definitely want to make it during my trip. I would also expect higher quality riding there as opposed to the EUP during the second week in March. I will revisit my itinerary this evening! Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I do most of my riding in the NLP and am not real familiar with how far it is from point to point in the UP. I am definitely not looking to just pile on the miles during the trip and I would like to enjoy the scenery by riding mostly during the day. So, it sounds like I will have to drive further (by car) into the central/northern portion of the UP in order to make it to the Western UP, which is where I definitely want to make it during my trip. I would also expect higher quality riding there as opposed to the EUP during the second week in March. I will revisit my itinerary this evening! Thanks again.[/b]

If you started out around Wetmore(Munising) and headed west from there, you could do some of those loops without wearing yourselves out and have an absolute blast.

Here's a possible loop for you.....Munising to Gwinn to Marquette to Big Bay to Baraga for the first day. Baraga to Houghton to Copper Harbor to Houghton to L'Anse the second day. And from there you could work your way back toward Munising on day 3 and 4.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I didn't get you comment on doing 100 - 150 miles a day, like everyone said that first day is a long one. I don't know the miles from St Iggy to Paradise via Cederville but I would guess 150 plus easy. Paradise to Seney is close to 100 then Munising another 50. If you are riding mid-week I would take a list of all the motels and go and stay when and where along the way. I never did a long backpack ride like that but if you run into bad conditions it could be a nightmare trying to get from point A to B.

I would stay in Paradise the first night check out T-falls then head to Rainbow Lodge - GM area,

Sounds Like Fun

1 - 11 of 11 Posts