Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 40 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,889 Posts
I'd much rather have a confident sled that rails even the rough corners at speed, than a having to slow down because you don't trust the sled, or it points itself into the trees every time you get on the throttle..

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Prices. That’s my biggest complaint and the biggest reason why I haven’t bought a brand new sled in 11 years.

I know this sounds probably stupid to some but, no manufacture makes the sled that I 110% really want, right out of the box. They all have good attributes that I like. When I could spring order a brand new sled for $9,500-10,000 that got me 90%ish to what I wanted, I didn’t mind putting a couple of grand into it to make it exactly what I wanted.

While Polaris has spent a lot of time making their spring order sleds have a ton of options, I still can’t build exactly what I want, even after spending $14,000 (retail). Cat is actually MUCH closer in the bang for the buck category. Problem is? I have ridden nearly every iteration of the PC chassis and even modded, I’m not a fan. Same with Doo. I could spend a STUPID amount of money to build a Doo but at the end of the day, I just am not comfortable on them, whatsoever.

I think the tech in the current sled offerings is sub par as well when compared to even current SXS offerings. It’s really pathetic. The automotive industry has loads and loads of tech that can be converted for use by sled companies and they just choose not to use it. A lot of that tech could make sled development much more consistent and even sled reliability much better. It’s ridiculous to think that here we are, in 2020, and simple things like fouling plugs or melting plastic is an issue on these things. Especially for what they cost and the limit time they get used.

Just a few initial thoughts I have.
Similar feelings. When I go on Poo's site I look at the base Indy SP (strippo) model and factor the price of the sled, then add Axis or Elka shocks, a better track and some other odds and ends and it's still comes out at a stupid price. https://snowmobiles.polaris.com/en-us/indy/sp-129/ Same for Cat, I've been relentlessly saying they could offer a simple Sno Pro 600 based off the SX sled for $10K. The SkiDoo 600R X interests me, but again, shock upgrades alone would bring it to a stupid number. I don't have a problem spending $, I do have a problem with flushing it down the toilet.

A plug for a helmet should be a stock item on a ski-doo and since when is a pull start a option
I like that fact that Polaris doesn't make you take electric start on certain trail models. The day I can't pull start my sled, I should just stay in my wheelchair.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thata what makes a polaris great.
There more rider active, you lean forward and they corner flat, you lean back and they become more playful
Or you can ride them in
the neutral position and ride all day with little to no fatigue

I'd much rather have a confident sled that rails even the rough corners at speed, than a having to slow down because you don't trust the sled, or it points itself into the trees every time you get on the throttle..

·
Registered
447 Posts
ski doo need to make a comfortable seat that you can exactly sit on with out hurting your ass at the end of the day..
my biggest complaint is i snow check a sled i pay all the money for it come February they throw a crazy rebate on same sled killing the resale value my sled i just paid all the money for. its hard to sell your like new sled for X amount of money when you can buy same sled with zero miles for less than your asking for your sled. rant over

·
Registered
881 Posts
Going along with the colors here....I’d like to see each company stray farther from their comfort spots in color choices. Get rid of the yellow/red/green/blue stigma. Heck, blue is pretty much up for grabs so please use it. The grey/orange and black/lime from Poo I really like. The Doo’s red/lime/black looks great. Cat...please let the magenta and bronze rest. Feel free to experiment a bit, maybe some yellow or red. Bring back the white/orange but without the camo print.

·
Registered
2021 ZR8000RR
2,947 Posts
Cat needs to take advantage of all the guys on 08 Polaris's that constantly give them free advertising on the web and do something big and positive with it first and foremost, more people worry about what Arctic Cat does than any other sled company and they can't seem to capitalize on that. They need to update the plastics and lighten up the PC chassis a bit and rename it like Poo did with the Axys to shut people up and give them something "new". An 850-900cc sled is obviously needed. The blast is a cool concept but maybe stuff a 600 in there and price it a touch more than the 400cc version, beginner 600/twisty trail monster. Make the Riot more like an Assault as far as handling, ability to lift the skis etc. New trail riders seem to be driven to the assaults for some reason, they are fun sleds to ride for a couple years long enough to realize that you want an actual trail sled for the trails (one category I think cat firmly sets the bar in).

Polaris really just keep doing what you're doing. They do sell a lot of sleds and have a group that rides them with passion for the company like they're sponsored. 3 or 4 of my friends have 850 assaults they had nothing but problems with last season but they're still the best sled ever made, that's the kind of blind brand loyalty that sells a lot of sleds, especially when you build them to be disposable after 2 seasons. All ball busting aside Polaris does a very good job with their marketing and snow check options are awesome I really wanna try out a 137 Indy XC. Only thing I'd really say for them is build a consistently reliable big bore and get into the 4t game.

Doo needs to restyle their entire lineup the Gen4 is legitimately the ugliest thing that's ever happened to snowmobiling. Maybe put pull starters on their electric start sleds instead of gouging people out of 300 bucks more on an already over priced sled (maybe they do this again everyone I know with a doo is a mid 2010s sled). Figure out a front end in a rider forward sled that actually works and corners flat. They need to get back into reality with their pricing too, but as someone said like Harley people ski doo/can am people will pay whatever stoned price for a toy and think they're getting a deal.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Polaris, how about a engine that can go longer than 2000 miles. You trail queens that get 15mpg need not reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Here are some things I think cat could improve on.
1. No more standard electric start. It's really dumb, you could price the sled better and have lower weights. This is a no brainer. I hate having to pay more for something I'm just going to take out. The lower pricing even if just $300 would sell more sleds. It's especially silly on the Blast which the whole schtick is budget friendly and light weight, and you leave that on the table. Sub 8k and sub 400# is much more attractive.
2. Bring back 129" trail sleds. A track option on some of the models would be nice also.

These are really the only two gripes I have for cat. If I wasn't cheap I'd for sure have a new zr xc, tcat, and a Blast and I really like those three alot. These are my personal gripes that I'd like to see and I really don't care about what they do for the masses.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
15 mpg? What's that like?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Couldn’t tell you. Didn’t know it was even feasible but a lot of the self proclaimed hard riders here seam to get it. I’m happy to break 10 when I’m being conservative

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
Couldn’t tell you. Didn’t know it was even feasible but a lot of the self proclaimed hard riders here seam to get it. I’m happy to break 10 when I’m being conservative

I'd be happy if i got 10

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
but that's what the boys who ride on tug hill like, don't they? guess some people like to dangle the skis all the time, and others like to go fast around corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QOLiQWj6o&feature=youtu.be

all we keep hearing from Polaris riders here is that the Axys chassis is so 'fun' to ride, so maybe Cat needs to invent/offer an unlimiter strap rear suspension for those types and keep the planted suspension for the rest of us. the Riot should be able to lift the skis when you whack the throttle, shouldn't it?

what are your suggestions?
I'd rather have a sled that I run out of skill before the sled is overmatched. Some guys like Dickhaven get off on straightening out after a slight bend and be able to dangle the skis and feel like a boss. And that's fine by me.
Do I think Cat should do that? Well I'm not interested in anything like that so I'd say no. I could just ride my h.c. on the trail if I wanted to do that.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Maybe put pull starters on their electric start sleds instead of gouging people out of 300 bucks more on an already over priced sled
I forgot that pull start was an option on Doo. how idiotic.

Here are some things I think cat could improve on.
1. No more standard electric start. It's really dumb, you could price the sled better and have lower weights. This is a no brainer. I hate having to pay more for something I'm just going to take out. The lower pricing even if just $300 would sell more sleds. It's especially silly on the Blast which the whole schtick is budget friendly and light weight, and you leave that on the table. Sub 8k and sub 400# is much more attractive.
2. Bring back 129" trail sleds. A track option on some of the models would be nice also.

These are really the only two gripes I have for cat. If I wasn't cheap I'd for sure have a new zr xc, tcat, and a Blast and I really like those three alot. These are my personal gripes that I'd like to see and I really don't care about what they do for the masses.
tell everyone how much weight your starter, cables and battery were from your 19 HC 8000

not even offering a 129" seems idiotic to me as well and with the revised front end it might be an even better trail knife in the corners. it's not like they are going to have re-engineer it and all their sleds are built to order. they are no longer getting shoved down dealers throats right?

·
Registered
8,175 Posts
Estart was 24#.

I would bet the reason for the limited options in the cats as far as estart, tracks, accessories, etc is because of assembly line issues. I have toured some high tech auto assembly plants and the logistics behind it are quite impressive and you have to realize Cat is a relatively small company and in Thief River Falls MN.. I don't know what would be involved in getting to that level where they can mix sleds like that down the line and keep it orderly, but it's something they should at least look into, get some smart consultants in there.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I wish doo would get themselves in trouble again and make SHOT available to other manufacture’s. That’s a electric start I wouldn’t mind having.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Estart was 24#.

I would bet the reason for the limited options in the cats as far as estart, tracks, accessories, etc is because of assembly line issues. I have toured some high tech auto assembly plants and the logistics behind it are quite impressive and you have to realize Cat is a relatively small company and in Thief River Falls MN.. I don't know what would be involved in getting to that level where they can mix sleds like that down the line and keep it orderly, but it's something they should at least look into, get some smart consultants in there.
if they can figure out a way to do it way up in Roseau off a build sheet... :rolleyes:

no 'consultants' required :chairsmack:

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I wish doo would get themselves in trouble again and make SHOT available to other manufacture’s. That’s a electric start I wouldn’t mind having.

I always hoped one of the manufacturers would develop a trunk monkey to start folks sleds

they would come in handy riding in New York too

21 - 40 of 107 Posts