Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let's pretend the sled manufacturers read this site and take users comments into account for development of their sleds, marketing and sales. What suggestions would you have for any of the manufacturers that might improve the purchase experience or address issues you see or read about?

I know this is the GDF but let's try to keep this constructive, on topic and not turn it into a typical pissing match. :rolleyes:

Here's a few of my suggestions... :)

Cat:
1. Snowcheck - spend some time on the Polaris website and the Ski Doo website then build a sled or two. See all the options they have for their customer who is ordering a sled? Good, because for 2020/2021 all your customers have to order their sleds. Get a better web designer and do the same. Offer your customers a 129" or 137", 600 or 800, at least two color schemes, an ice, rip/cobra and/or back country track for trail sleds, offer two windshield choices, electric start or no electric start, and allow customers to add their accessories in on the build.
2. New Chassis - if you want to get customers back from Doo/Poo you are going to have to come out with a new fun/efficient chassis that does wheelies and lifts the skis with ease, even if you have to cleverly re-engineer and disguise the durable Procross chassis. Keep it tough, don't cut corners and jeopardize the durability Cat customers have come to expect.
3. Bigger Bore 2S - need I say more?
4. Personality - since the Textron merger and departure of Roger Skime and others it seems like Cat has lost it's unique personality. Put someone out front on a regular basis who is talking to the public who doesn't wear a suit and gets riders excited about your products again.
5. Parts - been reading a lot of complaints about people not being able to get accessories and parts for their brand new sleds that were ordered in spring. wth is up with that? If there's a link broken in your supply chain get it fixed and make sure dealers are stocking common replacement parts even if they are consigned. Stop discontinuing parts for older sleds as nothing will piss off a brand loyal customer more than not being able to purchase parts for their existing sleds.

Polaris:
1. Springs - your snowcheck offerings lead the industry but do yourself a big favor and allow your customers to select the springs they need for their weight as part of a package. Not sure how your demographic studies are performed but not every rider weighs 170lbs and if I was a customer and had to spend $ on a brand new sled that was advertised to have heavier springs and race ready suspension I'd be pissed as hell.
2. Brakes - the XCR brake rotor, pads and air scoop msrp for essentially the same price as the standard XC brake rotor and pads. Put the good shit on all models from the get-go and call it a day.
3. Pricing - get consistent pricing with all your dealers and bring the prices back down a smidgen. It's amazing here in March reading all the different prices people post for the same exact sled. Cat got this right with snowmaggedon imo.

Doo:
1. Don't change a thing, clearly you've figured it all out. :lol3:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Let's pretend the sled manufacturers read this site and take users comments into account for development of their sleds, marketing and sales. What suggestions would you have for any of the manufacturers that might improve the purchase experience or address issues you see or read about?

I know this is the GDF but let's try to keep this constructive, on topic and not turn it into a typical pissing match. :rolleyes:

Cat:
1. Snowcheck - spend some time on the Polaris website and the Ski Doo website then build a sled or two. See all the options they have for their customer who is ordering a sled? Good, because for 2020/2021 all your customers have to order their sleds. Get a better web designer and do the same. Offer your customers a 600 or 800, at least two color schemes, an ice, rip/cobra and/or back country track for trail sleds, offer two windshield choices, electric start or no electric start, and allow customers to add their accessories in on the build.
2. New Chassis - if you want to get customers back from Doo/Poo you are going to have to come out with a new fun/efficient chassis that does wheelies and lifts the skis with ease, even if you have to cleverly re-engineer and disguise the durable Procross chassis. Keep it tough, don't cut corners and jeopardize the durability Cat customers have come to expect.
4. Personality - since the Textron merger and departure of Roger Skime and others it seems like Cat has lost it's unique personality. Put someone out front on a regular basis who is talking to the public who doesn't wear a suit and gets riders excited about your products again.
5. Parts - been reading a lot of complaints about people not being able to get accessories and parts for their brand new sleds that were ordered in spring. wth is up with that? If there's a link broken in your supply chain get it fixed and make sure dealers are stocking common replacement parts even if they are consigned. Stop discontinuing parts for older sleds as nothing will piss off a brand loyal customer more than not being able to purchase parts for their existing sleds.

Polaris:
1. Springs - your snowcheck offerings lead the industry but do yourself a big favor and allow your customers to select the springs they need for their weight as part of a package. Not sure how your demographic studies are performed but not every rider weighs 170lbs and if I was a customer and had to spend $ on a brand new sled that was advertised to have heavier springs and race ready suspension I'd be pissed as hell.
2. Brakes - the XCR brake rotor, pads and air scoop msrp for essentially the same price as the standard XC brake rotor and pads. Put the good shit on all models from the get-go and call it a day.
3. Pricing - get consistent pricing with all your dealers and bring the prices back down a smidgen. It's amazing here in March reading all the different prices people post for the same exact sled. Cat got this right with snowmaggedon imo.

Doo:
I'm gonna disagree with your suggestion (or lack of) for Doo. If Poo can give you 8-12 chassis, tunnel and skid color options on a spring order then Doo can Doo it too! especially if they are already producing the same plastics, chassis and skids for models with different names. I've had tremendous luck with my Doo's but this past spring I went to a Poo/Doo/Yami dealer looking at Indy XC 137's because of the color choices Poo offered. Secondly, Doo is starting to play Harley's game, I dont want to spend 12K on a sled and then have to spend another couple hundred just for basic storage or good lighting. I dont give a damn about gauges that do everything but wiping your ass, I want built in storage. :fistpump2:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good points so far, but I'd put instrumentation at the top of my list. They all could improve if they wanted to. The tech is there.

My Polaris General rocks. I have a main cluster with speed, tach, and a bunch of toggle-able readouts, like engine hours, coolant temp, trip miles, time, and more. All the idiot lights and alerts are on that screen, as well. Then, I have a separate 7" screen for GPS, but can switch to an alternate view showing various vehicle and engine statuses.

Think of the PIDD, except two displays and a lot bigger.

Snowmobiles should have that kind of a display. They should all have an optional GPS, and that GPS should be on a separate display from the other stuff.

I rode a basic 2020 MXZ a couple of weeks ago that had a gauge so small I couldn't read it while I was moving. The Cat gauge looks outdated, even if it's not. The Polaris Base gauge is okay, but the PIDD gauge is so much clearer that the standard gauge looks old.

They all need to be freshened up, much bigger and GPS should be an option.

The technology is there.

People talk about monitoring coolant temp, rpm's, etc. People talk about what GPS to get. This stuff should be available - or standard - from the manufacturers. If I have to trade one thing for another, I won't be seeing what I need to see when I need to see it.

·
Registered
8,175 Posts

Cat:
1. Snowcheck - spend some time on the Polaris website and the Ski Doo website then build a sled or two. See all the options they have for their customer who is ordering a sled? Good, because for 2020/2021 all your customers have to order their sleds. Get a better web designer and do the same. Offer your customers a 600 or 800, at least two color schemes, an ice, rip/cobra and/or back country track for trail sleds, offer two windshield choices, electric start or no electric start, and allow customers to add their accessories in on the build.

Polaris:

Doo:
Any sled can be made to lift the skis. It makes for a shitty trail sled.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any sled can be made to lift the skis. It makes for a shitty trail sled.
but that's what the boys who ride on tug hill like, don't they? guess some people like to dangle the skis all the time, and others like to go fast around corners.

all we keep hearing from Polaris riders here is that the Axys chassis is so 'fun' to ride, so maybe Cat needs to invent/offer an unlimiter strap rear suspension for those types and keep the planted suspension for the rest of us. the Riot should be able to lift the skis when you whack the throttle, shouldn't it?

what are your suggestions?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you purposely put this in the GDF so it could get some jaw jacking in? Seems like a pretty legit thread, and would really be better suited in the General Snowmobile Forum ... just saying

Carry on :c-n:
yes, please don't move it or delete it, even if Polaris tells you to. :laff:

gdf folks are more fun, even when adamantly disagreeing on everything. those general forum folks need to learn to unwad their panties from time to time and dip their toes into this retard pool now and then. :)

·
Premium Member
33,213 Posts
Did you purposely put this in the GDF so it could get some jaw jacking in? Seems like a pretty legit thread, and would really be better suited in the General Snowmobile Forum ... just saying

Carry on :c-n:
tommcat can support this

·
Administrator
2030 Arctic Cat 2500 - - 19-20 mileage-100,000
23,623 Posts
#1 Better pricing

#2 Better testing and inspecting of new model sleds before they sell them to us as a new model or new style of sled, get all the bugs out before releasing....... :furious2:

·
Registered
693 Posts
but that's what the boys who ride on tug hill like, don't they? guess some people like to dangle the skis all the time, and others like to go fast around corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4QOLiQWj6o&feature=youtu.be

all we keep hearing from Polaris riders here is that the Axys chassis is so 'fun' to ride, so maybe Cat needs to invent/offer an unlimiter strap rear suspension for those types and keep the planted suspension for the rest of us. the Riot should be able to lift the skis when you whack the throttle, shouldn't it?

what are your suggestions?
There were some guys on ac chat that were shortening the limiter strap on the riot for trail riding to make it corner better. It's all for what feel your looking for.

Then the next guy removes the strap completely and says it still won't wheelie enough. Tough to make it right for everyone.
Cat definitely needs some choices on spring orders though. I'm a Cat and Polaris guy and the Poo spring order makes it hard to buy a Cat the last 5 years.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Poo - bigger Pidd

Cat - make it fun. Mnstang is an idiot. The goal of a trail sled isn't to rationalize a small penis and rip through them as fast as possible, but to put a smile on the owners face. I could give a rats ass if someone is faster than me but it bums me out when their smile is bigger

·
The Meat Man
15,697 Posts
They should all come with free WiFi on sleds for 2022. :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

All sleds should come with the ridelite system. :c-n:

·
Administrator
24,509 Posts
Prices. That’s my biggest complaint and the biggest reason why I haven’t bought a brand new sled in 11 years.

I know this sounds probably stupid to some but, no manufacture makes the sled that I 110% really want, right out of the box. They all have good attributes that I like. When I could spring order a brand new sled for $9,500-10,000 that got me 90%ish to what I wanted, I didn’t mind putting a couple of grand into it to make it exactly what I wanted.

While Polaris has spent a lot of time making their spring order sleds have a ton of options, I still can’t build exactly what I want, even after spending $14,000 (retail). Cat is actually MUCH closer in the bang for the buck category. Problem is? I have ridden nearly every iteration of the PC chassis and even modded, I’m not a fan. Same with Doo. I could spend a STUPID amount of money to build a Doo but at the end of the day, I just am not comfortable on them, whatsoever.

I think the tech in the current sled offerings is sub par as well when compared to even current SXS offerings. It’s really pathetic. The automotive industry has loads and loads of tech that can be converted for use by sled companies and they just choose not to use it. A lot of that tech could make sled development much more consistent and even sled reliability much better. It’s ridiculous to think that here we are, in 2020, and simple things like fouling plugs or melting plastic is an issue on these things. Especially for what they cost and the limit time they get used.

Just a few initial thoughts I have.

·
HCS Ambassador
2014 ZR8000lxr 19-20 mileage = 904.5
3,951 Posts
I would like to see sleds with the NS1 system as an optional upgrade from the factory. It really is a great add on IMO. That 8" display is just fantastic when riding on the trails. (if it'll ever snow again too)

Steve

1 - 20 of 107 Posts