Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I took my F7 Sno Pro out on our river in town tonite. It is very fast and very smooth. The motor is soooooooo good. The light weight is the ticket. I will make adjustments to the set up to make it handle better-it is not bad but it can be better. Need more bite in the front. Maybe as the power and suspension performance increase like this you just have to have more carbide in the front as opposed to changing the suspension set up much. I say this because the transfer and performance in the bumps feel so right. I have ridden lots of carbide and stud set up too so I am just speculating about the stock settings with stock carbides and no studs. Also I know fast check out my sled history in the topic about sleds before the F7. This thing is unruly for a 700. It is way faster than you think because it is so smooth. I also noticed that it rolls so free crossing roads and such on the way to the river it feels like it has wheels instead of a track. Headlight screws make big changes with just small turns. I did have trouble staying in the aggressive position for cornering under max power I think that was hampering my cornering too because if I used all my strength to stay forward it railed very well. I am 5'11" and I am going to try some of the seat pads to keep me forward. I don't stay in the footrests like I do on a ZR. Did I mention it is fast. Another strong strong point is the very little loss in pull and performance when you get out of the groove and into a slower track. I don't think anything can maintain speed and pull as the conditions change and that is something I had not seen except with my Tcats. The suspension is the best for a consumer performance sled very close to stiff enough. A note for thought one of our guys races and gets new sno pro race sleds every year and he said he did not see how the suspension could get better but his 03 race sled is night and day better than his 02. This is the benefit we are getting from cat and the racing to consumer sled thing. I just love being able to have a sled get so much closer to my moto bikes every year. The six inch riser to me is the ticket for all around riding not to tall for sit down and good for stand up. The gauges suck anyone that says they are bright enough is high. you can't really see them with the riser on anyway. The whole package works really well together. You cannot substitute the light weight for anything anyone that argues that is also high. 175 miles no trouble yet I hope it continues. Well enough rambling for now but I am pumped by tonites rally.
Steve

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Steve, I'm also going to try one of Cat's seat pads. I ordered the 3" one. One of the mags said you had to ride the Fire Cats by sitting back on the seat -- LOL... yeah right! The ride AND handling are NOTICEABLY better when sitting right behind the tool kit/nut pad! I think the seat pads will be a HUGE help in keeping the driver's position more forward. Me and my bud have shortened our seats on a number of our sleds the last few years and have NEVER regreted it!

I was also thinking about trying the 5.5" handlebar riser.

And I agree... the gauge light could stand to be a tad brighter!

-- Roy

·
Registered
477 Posts
It kinda funny really. All it takes is one idiot from a magazine who knows little about riding or has a very different opinion than most and it snowballs. He needs to come up with something cunning and revolutionary (no pun intended) to say about the Firecat so he gets it in his mind that it handles better by sitting back on the seat. Then every other magazine jumps on the bandwagon because they want to be "the first" to bring you how to handle this new high tech machine.

I like to form my own opinions and thats why months ago when no one else had miles on their sleds I stated it handles better up when up on the tank. Also I have never been a fan of the coupler blocks (as the mags so valiantly tout) and also voiced that awhile ago. What I think is a large part of the darting that many are experiencing is coupler blocks + sitting forward on the sled. I will be able to get some extensive miles on groom trail without the couplers this weekend and will report back although I think Rob has already covered it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
It sure is great to see more and more postings on how people
love this sled and are having few if any problems with them!
270 miles and going strong :D

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Just got back from a 100+ mile ride-850 miles and going strong with no updates yet. I'm not a huge fan of the gauge set up but I still say I can read it fine at night and no I am not high-although I am working on my buzz as I type. ;)

·
Registered
827 Posts
yeah it is nice to see positive stuff about the firecats,i have yet to ride mine and i have this doubt in my mind from all the negative posts, the suspense is killing me,,lol

mike

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just got back from a 150 mile run and this thing rules. No problems with this sled, runs awesome. Overrevving quiite a bit but i'll take care of that this week. Need to work on darting but all in all not that bad. Rode with my buddy on his 2003 XC EDGE 800, didn't race him but rode it and the Firecat has a pile more torque. I'm a fairly big fella and the riding position is a little low for me so I need to look into the wedge but wow, what a sled. :D :D :D

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts