Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Eat your Weeties, they are super fast but heavy so be careful. You and your dad will need to pick up some 6.7 Pilot ski's or a set of SLP powder pros, stock ski's suck. They push like crazy and don't carry the weight very well with stock ski's. When the trails are groomed and you have traction they are perhaps the best trail machine made, if there is 6+ inches of snow they are a bit of a handful and don't hide the weight very well. Oh and get a 265hp TD ECU tune and clutching but don't tell your dad :fistpump2:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Stock Cat skis work as well and are cheaper. I don't find the weight to be a factor. Best sled I have ever owned or ridden.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You'll need tunnel protectors.

I got the ski doo 6.9 pilots and on a groomer trail it was on rails.

Make sure to adjust the shocks, WAY too tight from the factory.

Also, I'd installed a metal belt guard, many pics on the Internet where a blown belt destroys the entire bottom of the left side of the sled.

Also, the rear stock tri axle is a piece of junk. Also many pics where these have failed and you're screwed. J+T products makes a replacement kit that easy to install and well wort the money.

You might want to join Totally Yamaha site, search for a thread by ROCKERDAN , 70 pages of pictures and videos. This guy is amazing! Well worth your time to watch what he did.

Fred

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Don't buy into the "weight" thing it's BS. If your off trail then yes it's a factor but on the trail the weight is a none issue. As mentioned already after market skis are a must. You and Pop's will have a lot of great rides on those things and never have to worry about reliability. :bc2:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I agree with the above, better ski
s and studs, and tunnel protection
as for the 4 th wheel kits, I think on the new 18's they change some of that
I would still maybe get rid of the tri hub design , and go with just wheels there
JT or Larson racing

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I just ordered me a 2019 Ltx and dad a new Srx. What should we be looking forward to changing out? we are going to need some studs...:bc2::bc:
I just realized who you were lol. What's your old fart of an old man going to do with an SRX? Mid life crisis? :roflmao:Great for you guys you must be pumped. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He wants to go fast lol. Yeah we're excited, cannot wait till next season. Did not get to ride a whole lot this year at all. I was tossed between the srx and the yellow/blue. I think both will be badass.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
He wants to go fast lol. Yeah we're excited, cannot wait till next season. Did not get to ride a whole lot this year at all. I was tossed between the srx and the yellow/blue. I think both will be badass.
All I think I'm going to change on mine is adding a JT 4th wheel kit. I don't trust the tri-hub long term.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Don't buy into the "weight" thing it's BS. If your off trail then yes it's a factor but on the trail the weight is a none issue. As mentioned already after market skis are a must. You and Pop's will have a lot of great rides on those things and never have to worry about reliability. :bc2:
All depends on where and how you ride. I had one and it wasn't the right sled for the tighter and very rough trails we ride. I thought I'd be able to just power over everything. Yea you can but you're not doing that for more than a couple hours max. It simple wears you out. I weight train 5 days a week so lets get that out of the way. I don't blame the sled, when I went to an are with wider trails, sweeping corners, and flatter, it was good bye everyone! Power is amazing and it handles stutters very nice.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
All depends on where and how you ride. I had one and it wasn't the right sled for the tighter and very rough trails we ride. I thought I'd be able to just power over everything. Yea you can but you're not doing that for more than a couple hours max. It simple wears you out. I weight train 5 days a week so lets get that out of the way. I don't blame the sled, when I went to an are with wider trails, sweeping corners, and flatter, it was good bye everyone! Power is amazing and it handles stutters very nice.
I completely agree, same experience for me. Great sled with fast groomed trails but not so great in the rough and sloppy trails. It is a weapon in the right conditions, its a handful when the trails or conditions aren't the best. Great sled never the less love the power and speed but like everything it has its short comings.

·
Super Advanced Member
2,227 Posts
. I had one and it wasn't the right sled for the tighter and very rough trails we ride.
I always find this confusing because my Viper handled almost the same as my F800 on the conditions you mentioned.
It did not 'wear' me out or make for a long day, or feel real heavy unless your ditchbanging.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I always find this confusing because my Viper handled almost the same as my F800 on the conditions you mentioned.
It did not 'wear' me out or make for a long day, or feel real heavy unless your ditchbanging.
I agree. I rode the Viper 3 seasons in all conditions and now a Sidewinder without fatigue issues. I don't ride like an Indian all the time but I do push hard and usually 10hr days. At 51 years old and weighing in at 220 I feel fresh as a daisy at the end of the day but everyone is different this is just me personally.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I’m talking sidewinder. It’s close to 700lbs wet. That’s damn near a 100lbs heavier than 800s. You’d be silly to think you don’t feel that. A viper is only 30lbs heavier than 800s. My viper wasn’t so bad but the sidewinder was too much for my trails. Again, I should’ve known better but wanted to try it. I switched with a friends 800xcr a dozen times and it’s night and day easier in those tight and junked out trails.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I’m talking sidewinder. It’s close to 700lbs wet. That’s damn near a 100lbs heavier than 800s. You’d be silly to think you don’t feel that. A viper is only 30lbs heavier than 800s. My viper wasn’t so bad but the sidewinder was too much for my trails. Again, I should’ve known better but wanted to try it. I switched with a friends 800xcr a dozen times and it’s night and day easier in those tight and junked out trails.
I'm positive I'd feel the difference of a 2 stroke but the weight doesn't bother me probably because I've been on a Yamaha 4 stroke since 2003 and am used to the feel and it suits my style of riding whether it be rough or not.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
In my honest opinion I ride 95% in the UP and a Sidewinder is a waste of sled for those trails. I don't care if your Tucker Hibbert you cannot fully appreciate what that sled will do on UP trails. I had more corner to corner fun on a Viper. Again just me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts