Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed a thousand times, but what have you found works best to keep newly installed handlebar grips in place? I just installed some SLP Custom Cusion Grips on my F7, but they are slippin' and slidin' pretty bad. I used Fantastik as a lube, as I always have with Grab-On grips, and I've never had them loosen up on our sleds. Maybe the Fantastik was the wrong thing to use with the SLP grips. Anyone have any suggestions that's worked for you in the past? Thanks! -- Roy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found that clear spray paint works very well. Goes on basically invisible, and gives enough lube to get the grip on, then when it dries, helps to basically "glue" the grip in place. Still removable if you need to though, with some heat.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've used double stick tape on the bars w/ mineral spirits as the lube. They will not budge, and if you want them changed you'll probably have to cut them. B)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Use hairspray to get some lube for sliding on, then she turns to glue. Then, use safety wire at 2-3 spots across the grip. Works best with a safety wire pliers. It's dirtbike technology!

R

·
0 Posts
I have used both hairspray and spray paint. Make sure the bar and grip are clean first.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Spray paint does work.

Best bet:
3M Super weather strip adhesive.

Easy to remove too, w/o damaging the grip. Take a small screwdriver and lift the very edge of grip (not to damage the warmer element) and stick a blow gun tip in the edge of grip and blow air into it (making sure the hole on the end of the grip is plugged). You will see the grip pop right off. WORKS LIKE A CHAMP!

You can even use this reverse method to help install the grips on curved bars if they become stuck!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the good feedback and ideas guys! I think I'll give the ol' hair spray trick a try. That one seems to be the most popular, and my local market had it on sale for only sixty-nine cents. Clerk looked at my kinda' funny, seeing as how I have very little hair left! -- Roy

·
Registered
340 Posts
I cut my grips off. Lightly score them all the way accross, cut all the way through the grip on the end and slowly peel back along the scoring. DO NOT score too deeply or you will cut the hand warmers. Spray the hairspray on the handlebar and inside the new grip. Slide and twist in the same direction as the way the heaters are taped on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts