Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've been surfing around this site the last few days trying to get as much feedback on F7s as possible. I've been on Polaris sleds since '91 but the same-lame graphics updates are really losing their appeal. Never even considered a Cat until I was out on an F6 demo last week. It only took 20 miles to change my mind. The F6 was what I always thought I wanted in a sled except for cornering. Carrying too much speed in the corners was dowright scary at times. What I want to know is how well you can set up these sleds to get around corners without giving me fits. Also, I raced an F7 with my '00 XC7(current ride) and out of the hole it was whoever got the holeshot. From a roll I jumped out two lenghts and never saw him again. This was the first time I've won races and been disappointed(I really want the F7). My sled isn't stock but from all the hype I figured I'd get roasted....bad. I don't know if his sled is a dud or what but we raced several times with the same result. I don't want to lay down serious coin and get waxed by all my Polaris buds. I'm going to take a lot of abuse for getting an F7 as it is and if their passing me on the trail.......well......I don't think I could deal with that. So what I need is a little encouragement. Tell me I won't get beat and I'll make it around corners.....oh yeah, and George tell me 'bout the wabbits George....pwease George!!!! Thanks. :wacko:

·
Registered
233 Posts
My dad has a 2002 polaris 700 ec edge and has slp pipe, silencer,high air flow kit, helix,& clutch kit we have raced many many times this year and i have not LOST ONE TIME. Oh ya i have a 2003 F7. I have also raced a polaris long track 144 700 and he did not even get me out of the hole. My uncle has a 2002 Zr 800 efi and that sled and mine are close to equal but the F7 pulls away from him. The cornering on the F7 was not that big of a deal when i rode the sled for 30-40 miles i got used to it real fast it is a sled where you have to work harder on but is the best sled EVER at this point. go for it man if you do not like it wait till the big year for polaris(2005)

·
Registered
339 Posts
The F7 you raced was a dud. They will corner better than anything else out their!! I have mine at 119mph on a G.P.S. unit, no bullshit! My buddy owns a REV 800 with 192 studs and on a plowed county road we lined up several times, it wasn't even close once, and I only have 96 studs, he was pissed. Buy an F7 you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The firecat's might be slower next year because they have 9 tooth driver's. The Blair Morgan REV's are fast than regular 800 REV's because they went from 9 to 10 tooth drivers, no change in power. All of the REV's have 10's next year because they are more efficent. But I agree 2003 firecat's are fast.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The F7 is fast, I'd wait till the 05's are out. They don't have all the bugs out yet. If you do get one get the carb if you want to improve it. There will always be someone faster. I haven't driven a rev but everything I read says they really corner. You can make the fiecats corner better but you'll need to upgrade the carbides and change the suspension but you'll still have to lean. From what I've seen the rev's you don't lean half as much. I have a F7 sno pro and have had no motor problems but lots of other things have happened. I'd wait for the 05 or try a rev. My choice at this moment if I was to buy a cat would be the 900. It corners and is a very fast and forgiving sled. Like I said it's what you want right now and are you willing to wait for the F7's to get rid of all the bugs. I'll never buy a F7 again. I should have kept my triple. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you liked the F6 you will love the F7. As far as being faster, all sleds from all manufacturers vary, some just seem to be faster than others. The F7 is dam fast and will beat alot of other sleds depending on conditions. If you go through the suspension set-ups that they have on here it will corner very well with driver input. You can't truly judge the handling after 20 miles. This sled takes some getting used to, but once you do you will be happy. I have owned two different ZR's and i like my F7 way better! Good luck with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
125 Posts
that F7 u raced must had suttin wrong wid it because ive beat 4 differnt 2003 pro x 800's which i know are prolly faster than yur 00 xc700

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have an XC 7 and recently sold my F7. If I buy another sled this yr, it will be the F7. All kidding aside though, the XC's are fast and they will run with the F7 if "PROPERLY" set up. Stock to Stock, I don't think anything will touch the F7.

IMHO, the XC7 handles better than the F7, but will not take a jump and/or the BIG bumps as well. I was running the sno-pro.

To sum it up....You will be completely satisfied with the F7!

I made the switch, so can you! B)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
You'll probably need to spend a little time tuning the suspension setup to get it to corner correctly, but once it's dialed in, forget about it! The F7 is everything I expected it to be and more. Ever have a sled that everytime you ride it, you like it more and more? I've never had one of those until now. Awesome power, awesome handling, super light weight. And when you ride by someone NOT on a firecat, as they stare you get to think to yourself ..."They wish they had one of these!" :D

·
Registered
847 Posts
liqqerpig
You know why they are looking, they are looking at the rear suspension with no rear wheels. Ask them and I bet that's what they will say. :p

·
Registered
395 Posts
Get the F7, you won't be dissapointed. I never lost a race this year with mine and I can never leave well enough alone. I've got a D&D Pro2 800 EFI kit ordered for next year. The efi vs. carb debate is posted somewhere on this site, but bear in mind, there are progammable efi units coming to the market (the D&D kit has it and others will follow) so don't make your efi/carb decision based on only being able to mod only the carb versions, not true. I never had any major issues with mine this year, it's a great sled. ;) Get the sno pro suspension, maybe even cough up the extra coin to get the cross link if you're a real aggressive rider. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fire Chicken, what do you mean the XC7 handles better than the F7? Cornering, more athletic(toss it around easier), more stable? Can you elaborate on that for me. I can only afford to get a new sled every three years or so and I'm ready now but want to be damn sure what I get will satisfy. Why would I get an F7 when the XC handles better and with proper setup (I've owned two and know how to dial them in) will run beside one? Hmmmmm.....what to do. :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Each to their own, but I'd have to totally disagree with what firechicken says regarding the xc 7 & f7 handling. IMO, there isn't any area where the xc 7 is better. (ie. handling, ride, performance, ect.) And yes, I've ridden several xc 7 & 8's and definitely prefer the handling and ride of a f/c. It took about 50 - 100 miles to get used to my f7, but I absolutely love the machine. I've only been able to put on about 1,020 miles this year, but I've enjoyed them all! It's light, agile, FAST, great for ditch/trail riding, economical on fuel, and is decent in the deep stuff. And yes, it's been reliable as well. How could you go wrong? Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The only thing i can really say is you'd be happy with a Fcat or a REV. Fcat has alot more balls, it'll eat up anything. The REV corners awsome. But if you spend the time to setup the Fcat the rev wont even touch it in the woods. sure the polaris' are very dependable, but i would want a sled that kicks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I bought the f7 for a fun fast ditch banging sled and wasnt dissapointed at all! :D if someone wants to line up and run i'll race them.i didnt buy the sled for that purpose,some do B) i didnt change anything on the sled( f7 standard) as to buying a new sled it's your personal decision.cat guys will say buy cat doo guys say doo and so on ^_^ i luv the f7 and ordered an 04 f7 :wub: good luck with your decision B)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts