Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 'rotating' the coil 180 deg. , my mag. plug wire is extremely tight(almost too short)... Do all of yours seem this way also after the suggested fix has been done that AC recommends?? :huh:
-John

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
John, yes, when I flipped mine the first time, with the plug wires facing DOWN, the mag side was indeed VERY tight. Once I figured out that everyone wasn't flipping the coil but simply rotating it, re-did mine so it was NOT flipped, but rather just rotated. Now my tach seems to be functioning just fine -- no more 9200 RPM peak recalls! I didn't really notice if the tack lag was improved or not -- I didn't think it was that bad to begin with, and normally I run my tach on the digital display anyway. I know now that Cat's fix says to flip the coil so the plug wires are down, but I'm not going to mess around with mine anymore unless the tach starts doing funky things again. As you can imagine by now, I've about had enough of this tach/coil thing by now! (But any further questions, go ahead and ask anyway!) -- Roy

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
LOL! Yes, 9200 is a bit high -- for that matter, so is 8200! MANY of us were getting incorrect tach readings and recalls because of the now well-known coil interference problems. -- Roy

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Is there any where else you can zip tie it to_On the f5 the wires are plenty long.The coil can be pretty much mounted anywhere as long as your primary wires-yellow and black still can plug into wiring harness-all you basically want to do is keep the secondary wires-the spark plug wires themselves away from the main wiring harness-just dont be drilling holes into the back of the gastank!!!!!!!!!!!!Anyways there must be someplace you can ziptie the coil to????????????

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I found both wires to be way to tight, I ended up not routeing them between the coolent hose and motor and it was better for the PTO side but the MAG side is still to tight. I may just flip it back to the way it was untill I have the problem with my tach.
By the way is the Tach the reason for the coil update??

·
Registered
485 Posts
:) I'm not moving my coil, seems to be giving accurate readings, have seen 8360 on recall function, but this would surely be normal as the tach will capture the highest r.p.m. faster than you could see on the analog scale needle sweep over.My normal shift out is just over 8000 so the recall is capturing a momentary max reading (exactly like it is supposed to).

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
On my f5,when tapping the throttle on jackstand,max rpm on tach recall was just around 10,000 rpms.I knew this is wrong because i never had the throttle pinned on jackstand,and the rpm was consisently wrong.Anyways since moving coil and doing the same thing,tach recall has never once been above 8000 rpms tapping the throttle.If you think theres a problem move it,its not going to hurt a damn thing not moving it,its not like your going to lose hp if you dont move it.It was just a interference problem with speedo wiring harness,nothing more,nothing less!!!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
We have just received our kits and instruction number 5 says Remove the coil assembly; then roate the coil 180 degrees with the high tension leads facing downward.
Steve

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Originally posted by VFRcanada@Dec 31 2002, 12:26 PM
9200 is a little high isn't it? My F7 peaks out around 8200.
If you think 9200 is high you should see the F5 the mechanic at my dealer has. Recall consistly showed around 14 500. He musta got the special lake racer motor package :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was seeing 14,500 consistently on max recall. Sometimes even as high as 15,000, but since I rotated the coil (plug wires still up) all my tach problems have gone away. I must have got a lake race motor also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts