Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my indy 500 carb, when im over say 5 grand it goes like hell but if im doing roughly 60 mph or whatever and drop the gas, then

grab a handful it bogs heavily, and im not sure if its all carbs, some of it may be, but when its on a stand its pretty snappy even on

botom end, also ive heard it may be clutch weights or something in the primary to do with the backshifting, so if you have any helpful

info on what to start checking or how to see if your weights are shit please let me know, thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Could be as simple as you carb slide needle is in the wrong position and as drastic as low compression and needing a top end. I guess the first thing you might do is toss a copression tester on it - both sides should read the same and be over 115 pounds. If itis bogging and not flooding out you could try giving it more mid range jetting by raising your needles a clip..
Check and see if everything spins free when you put it on a stand and throttle it up. Watch your cluthes andsee if they are working smoothly..
Could also check plug gap.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Have the Clutches ever been rebuilt? I would do that first, then check all the usual stuff like airbox( sometimes that foam piece gets sucked in) carb boots etc.

There is also a little switch on the throttle that will give you trouble- does the sled ever backfire on you when you are nursing the throttle to get up to speed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have the Clutches ever been rebuilt? I would do that first, then check all the usual stuff like airbox( sometimes that foam piece gets sucked in) carb boots etc.

There is also a little switch on the throttle that will give you trouble- does the sled ever backfire on you when you are nursing the throttle to get up to speed?[/b]
no it never backfired when im accelarating , just simply doesnt have the snap i know it should and has had before. and no i dont think the clutches have ever been rebuilt. and in rebuilding is that just weights and springs or what?

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
I am not sure if Polaris has a rebuild kit for their clutches but I would think they do. At a minimum, the cam arm bushings, pins and spacers need to be replaced. If you have any flat spots in the cam arms, they will need to be buffed out or the cam arm replaced. Replacing the spring is a good idea but not a must unless it is broken. Clean the clutch faces with BrakeKleen and a scotch pad. You will be amazed at the change in performance

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1999 500 xc with the same problem. Had the carbs cleaned and still bogs. I have not yet changed the carb slide needle. I think that will be my next step. There are other posts that have tried that and it seams to work. Any other sugesstions would be great.

Thanks

Brad

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does it accelerate from a dead stop? Is the problem only when your going, then nail it?[/b]
most the time its snappy as hell right outa the hole cause ive got the carbs tuned in now, the motor is goin like a raped ape , so i believe the problem is now all in the clutches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts