Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My low oil warning light came on this weekend. There was still at least 1/2 a tank of oil. I was hoping to run it down lower to get that shitty Cat APV oil out of it before changing to Amsoil. I only have about 150 miles on the sled, what gives???

I thought my dealer said something about a bad oil sensor when I picked up the sled, and I know some of the F5's had issues, but have not heard anything since.

Anybody else having this problem??

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
with only 150 miles on it you have plenty of oil left, guys on this forum reporting 2 tanks of fuel to 1 tank of oil or better

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by dave cat 7@Jan 2 2003, 02:38 PM
with only 150 miles on it you have plenty of oil left, guys on this forum reporting 2 tanks of fuel to 1 tank of oil or better
I know that. :wacko:

That's why I'm asking about the sensor, it certainly seems to be f--ed! :blink:

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
The sensor is working properly-it should come on about half full-when the light comes on,it should take about a quart and half to fill up-tank holds just under three quarts-if you think its using to much oil check your oil pump adjustment-mine was way off from factory,had dealer set back,works great now,right where it should be according to marks on oil pump-scott

·
Premium Member
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So on a 150 mile plus day, I either need to carry more oil with me or deal with the light coming on?? Well that's BS!!!

Hey Rob what have you been experiencing???

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I talked with some guy in the UP on the trail and he experianced the same thing. I only have 81 miles on mine and no light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Jay@Jan 3 2003, 09:13 AM
So on a 150 mile plus day, I either need to carry more oil with me or deal with the light coming on?? Well that's BS!!!

Hey Rob what have you been experiencing???
I've had the light flicker a few times, and come on steady one time. That was on a 290 mile day. When I filled the oil next morning it took just a little more than a quart. I believe they are all set that way. It is fine with me, and I won't worry about it until my light has been on steady for a Loooong time! B)

·
Registered
3 Posts
My F5 seems to have the same problem. Plenty of oil, but the light comes on too soon. Scared the crap out of me at first. Noticed it ramdomly through hard turns, then came on steady after about 85 miles of riding. Had at least 1/3 tank of oil left.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well guys, all I can say is this - Would you rather have it come on at about 1/2 a tank so you have a chance to fill it up or have it come on when the tank is almost dry and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere with no oil.
Just a different way of looking at it I guess. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
it says in the manual that when it flashes it means you have at least one tank full of gas to go before needing to put in oil . can't you guys read or do you just want to complain about something . if it came on to late then you would complain about that and that you forgot to put oil in and it must have been someone elses fault then too . !damn this sled is great , just deal with it . !

i think some of you guys like to hear your self complain ! enough is enough

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Originally posted by datsbad@Jan 4 2003, 09:16 AM
it says in the manual that when it flashes it means you have at least one tank full of gas to go before needing to put in oil . can't you guys read or do you just want to complain about something . if it came on to late then you would complain about that and that you forgot to put oil in and it must have been someone elses fault then too . !damn this sled is great , just deal with it . !

Oil consumption is the issue here, NOT when the damn sensor reads low oil levels!! :wacko: :wacko: I don't believe 180 miles per 1 TANK of oil is acceptable. I filled the gas and oil and after 85 miles I was down to 1/4 tank of gas and the low oil light just came on. It took 2 quarts to fill the oil!! :blink: I then changed the mains to 370's and backed off the oil injection to 1/16 inch before the full throttle mark and went riding -- temp at 18 deg F and 6 inches of powder and plugs look great and oil consumption is better. And BTW, I can read. :D :D

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts

I dont think we are shedding tears.
Im not going to sell it, im not writing a letter to cat.
I did read my manuel cover to cover when i got it, IN OCTOBER.
I brought this up as it being odd, which it is. Im not bitchin about the consumption, I thought that i was just odd.

I dont like to hear my myself complain either DH

Pat

·
Registered
84 Posts
if this website was not here none of you would be complaining about half of the bs things that eveyone brings up . just gets a little crazy sometimes .

·
Registered
242 Posts

Oh that's what your suppose to do with the manual read it?

I'm not giving you crap, I'm agreeing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know if any of you are noticing this, But my dealer told me the oil tank must be full the first time it was started or it will think it is full at the level in the tank.So if you received your sled with only 1/2 a tank of oil it thinks its full. If this makes any sense.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts