Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my skid out doing a conversion to 144" and want to loosen the preload on the front track spring. It is REALLY hard to turn. The threads look fine and i've wd-40'ed but even using channel locks to grab the adjuster nut I can barely get it to move at all. Is there a trick to this? Do I need to get spring compressors to unload the tension on the nut to get it to turn?

Side note (well hopefully), can I order a tool somewhere to turn that nut if I want to adjust while the skid is on the machine? Of course I need to be able to adjust it off the machine first.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
sounds like you might have beat up the threads with hard use and their slightly crossthreaded now. I had the same problem with a radius rod eyelet 2 nights ago. I had to use a BFBB (big fuckin breaker bar) to get it off. My adjuster is loose enough to spin it by just turning the spring.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i just loosened up mine the other night in the sled. just get a screwdriver and a hammer. i will get to a point were u can spin the spring and the coller by hand.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Remove the top shock mounting bolt from the torque arm. That alone might unload the spring enough that you can loosen the spring perch. Other than that, you could always use an air chisel. Waaaaay better than a BFH!! :bigun2: Good luck!!

SK.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I just bought a spanner wrench through parts unlimited through my dealer for $14. The thing is pretty sweet. I bought it so that I could adjust the preload on my front suspension springs without using a hammer and screw driver to maul the collar. I can only assume it will work well for the front track spring as well.

PN: DS192282
Description: Shock Spanner for 58-86 FL,FX
It is made by Drag Specialties
Your dealer should be able to order it for you like mine did unless you just want to go direct(I wanted to buy the Polaris one at the time so I went to the dealer to order it and they said the Parts Unlimited one was better and cheaper).

Link: Spanner Wrench
Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts