Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted on the previous forum, but thought some might not have seen it. With a tin snip, it is extremely easy.

Trim the bottom 3 inches off the snow flap... improves the look considerably, and will be able to roost my buddies much more effectively!

I did it in about 2 minutes, and then sanded a tiny bit (another 2 minutes).

Cut much easier than I thought.

KJ

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Sorry to be a party pooper, but I STRONGLY agree with firecatsnopro, in that cutting the snowflaps (after FINALLY getting them to a reasonably useful lenght) is a VERY unfriendly thing to do anyone thats following closely at all. Been there.... done that. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I for one do NOT appreciate the extra snow dust, chunks of snow, rock hard frozen ice, dirt, and stones that are thrown out behind a sled with a short or CUT snow flap, all the while pelting my helmet, shield, new sled, and ME!!! I could see where this could EAISLY be a safety hazard issue in many circumstances. Getting "roosted" by a buddy MIGHT be funny once.... but after that it gets old real fast. You guys that have already cut your flaps, I'm just curious what your ridin' buds have to say about it... IF they're able to even get close enough to your F7 for this whole thing to be an issue! -- Roy

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'am also adding a 03 snopro flap extension to my flap, the stock length flap is not long enough when using the snopro track.
It may look cool, but its not cool, you will find out on the trail!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nothing personal kellyjames, but that sounds like a terrible idea. It may look cool, but most sleds should go with LARGER flaps. A longer/wider flap helps eliminate .chunks, and to a certain degree, snowdust. <-------(read dangerous)

If looking cool would sacrifice safety in any way.............. always go with safety.

Enjoy your new ride.

Blackwolf

·
Registered
827 Posts
i agree guys.you would think twice if you got hit with a stud or ice chunk,not cool,,(peace),,mike

·
Registered
772 Posts
ahhh whiners...ill take looks over function...art said there was about a 50 foot rooster all the time with his trimmed flap....good ive done it..it keeps all the guys off my butt haha...ussually i like to follow anyways...makes it easier to rooster the guy in the group u dont like anyways...

·
Premium Member
3,765 Posts
i had a stud hit my old zr and, thank god it just hit the hood
it went onto the hood and left a hole in it
if it would have hit me ???????
we were only going 30mph.
i havent been trained in any safety classes or any special
training...but i do know what's safe

and i will stick with my long flap.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow...you guys are really saftey conscious... probably from all those news reports we see every year saying: "man hit by flying stud loses left nut..." and the like... Lighten up.. Anyone following that closely deserves to have a little powder shower.

Our riding groups safety rules are: 1) don't drink and ride 2) no night riding (too many idiots out) 3) don't drink and ride 4) no engine mods (we don't want one of us to ruin the day for the others) 5) never put weight on seat when going 100+ across a lake... hidden heaves can really mess you up unless you're ready to take an unexpected hit) 6) In EVERY eft turn corner on twisty trails, mentally map out an escape route into the trees on right side, in case an idiot comes at you on the left side of trail.

That has kept us all safe for a combined 32 new sleds, totalling over 184,000miles and counting... So if you see me on the trails, wave, but just don't ride my ass....

·
Registered
629 Posts
looking at cutting mine. If you put reverse on your sled, Arctic Cat will recommend that you cut to the line. They would not recommend this if they believed it to be un-safe. So mine will probably go.... It will look cool, and the engineers and designers at Arctic Cat says it is safe for both the sled and all...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hell its no big deal just to trim it a little. Its not like it makes that much of a differanc. Im sure no one will get killed by it or anything I trimmed mine to the bend line and it looks really clean and when i rode with my dad behing me he said he didnt get blasted that bad anyways not anymore with it stock.If u are cutting it i would recomend using a carpenders knife or whatver they are called hit it with a litle heat not enough to melt it but to make it so it cuts through it just like butter than sand a little bit.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hate to throw gas on the fire BUT, how did your dad keep up with you when you were running 25mph?
Any speed over that results in a shit storm for 100' behind you!
If you want to see what I mean, you short flap guys are invited to follow me at speed. "only if your sure your motor is properly broken in".
I wll install a short flap for your pleasure.
Must be a lot of bored members to dream this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHY NOT BOLT ON SOME CURB FEELERS INSTEAD?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I don't like anyone folowing closely; BUT, if I am trying to pass a guy with a short flap, that could make it pretty painfull. That's why I would be against it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
No night riding for safety? You must be nuts! The trails where I ride in central Vermont are narrow and twisty. Riding at night gives you the added advantage of seeing the lights coming at you around corners. I prefer riding at night because its the safest time!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
LOL... I agree with you 100% skivt! I think riding the trails is MUCH safer at night than during the day. Just my opinion after trail riding for over twenty-five years! -- Roy

·
Registered
629 Posts
Riding at night is great... safer

Nothing like getting on your sled at Midnight, going for a ride to the top of the mountain, and laying back on your sled with a nice stoggie, looking at the stars....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts