Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden in Quebec primarily the past 12 years or so, and with the price of gas and the exchange rate, was thinking about spending more time in Maine this year. What kind of loops can you do? Are the trails well marked? My folks were born in Aroostock county, up by the NB border in Easton, and I'd love to put some miles on up there and do a 3-4 day loop. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
920 Posts
the only problem with the county is that you can ride anyware in the county and back again in a day the trails are that good.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
id like to go from newport to houlton to caribou jackman and back into newport ...

i think houlton to caribou would be kind of a short ride so it might give a chance to hit some of the trails in the area and i ve never work out the details but im sure it could be done just dont know how many days it would take good luck let us know what you end up doing

·
Registered
780 Posts
We go up to the county once a year generally. Usually start in Houlton and go to Ft. Kent in a day. Pass up thru the center of the county, then ride a day or 2 in the Ft. Kent area and into NB. For the trip back we ride east and down the border back to houlton. It's like 150 miles from Houlton to Ft. Kent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stayed at Kathadin Shadows did a loop to the lookout and matagamon and back first night. Began our saddlebag tour the next AM. If you have Quebec pass this is a great one.
from Sherman area to Jackman to St. George (1st night)
St George to St Pamphile to Ft Kent (2nd night)
Rode all over the County trails were Awesome- stayed in Caribou (3rd night)
Caribou to Sherman to pick up the truck and trailer.

The Allagash was great!

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by squarehead@Oct 13 2005, 06:13 PM
Stayed at Kathadin Shadows did a loop to the lookout and matagamon and back first night. Began our saddlebag tour the next AM. If you have Quebec pass this is a great one.
from Sherman area to Jackman to St. George (1st night)
St George to St Pamphile to Ft Kent (2nd night)
Rode all over the County trails were Awesome- stayed in Caribou (3rd night)
Caribou to Sherman to pick up the truck and trailer.

The Allagash was great!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=927771
[/quote]

I stayed in St. George a couple times last winter, and rode down to the Jackman border, but didn't cross. How difficult is customs on sleds? Also, is there a website where I might be able to source a Maine trail map? Thanks!

·
Registered
920 Posts
wolfie need to get on MSA they got the state trail map. the border is cake. no issues crossing on sleds. have your drivers license ready they might ask for it.

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Originally posted by brokenbones@Oct 13 2005, 09:23 PM
wolfie need to get on MSA they got the state trail map. the border is cake. no issues crossing on sleds. have your drivers license ready they might ask for it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=928268
[/quote]

Wolfie they ALWAYS asked us for ID crossing at Jackman. If you have EVER had a OUI they won't let you cross into Canada.
Its not a easy cross anymore.
Crossing into Canada they let you go inside on a real cold day to warm up. Coming back one night after dark it was -20 and they DO NOT let anyone inside the US office anymore since 9/11. We asked because they made us take off out helmets at -20 in 30mph wind to check our ID's. Dam near froze our ears off thay told us we can't let you in anymore.
We has 6 sledders with us 3 couples.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
we like to do millinocket or medway to madawaska , stay the night come back down the east side the next day. if ya looking to stretch it out a bit, the club trails around ft kent are awesome, ya see em ya think club trail no thanks, but these are haul roads 22 ft wide groomed awesome and fast , almost empty, and 85d from dicky to portage is a real good run too,. plenty of gas, food , repair shops all over the area .We usualy stop at crazy larrys ( doodys sled shop ) in Caribu when in the area if any sleds have issues, he bills out l;abor at under 20 an hr

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Originally posted by denny@Oct 14 2005, 09:29 AM
sometimes it as easy as 5 min check other times 45 minute interrogation
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=929069
[/quote]

Wow.....I thought it was just me. At the Jackman crossing last year I was in there for 45 min. getting grilled for a "youthful offender" problem I had as a kid. Records are supposedly sealed and they were grilling me but let me go eventually.

Return home through Charterville at 10 PM and -26 degrees out they let us in b/c they asked us to take off our helmets and then we were bullshitting with them for 5-10 min. before we hit the road.

·
Registered
145 Posts
wolfie i live in ct also and ride mostly canada but maine has some good riding you can start in rangely about 5 hours drive from here. from rangely you can go to moosehead lake not very long ride but can strech it out in area. then to houlton good ride then to fort kent or to long lake nice.and work your way back through maine. or from fort kent to st pamphile to st georges then to jackman to rangely. i made this trip last year 1028 mile's nice run.any question contact me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts