Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking to save a couple bucks on minor sled repairs, I'm looking for some work. I don't run a business just looking to make a couple bucks plus help others save some money. Been wrenching on mostly Doos and Poos since around '93. Always done all my own work and most of the work on my riding buddy's sleds.

Mostly looking for minor repairs, track studding, preseason checks, etc. Respond here or with a PM.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody looking for work to be done??? I find it hard to believe nobody wants to save some money on a little work. For example I could do 96 Woody's 5/16" studs down the center with double diggers for $230, studs, backers, and labor. Sleds needing tunnel protectors, etc. would be a little more. :beerchug: :banana:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey, I might need some work done when the sled gets here, A Renegade-X 1000. How much will it cost to stud a 136x16x1.1/4 track with 162 woody`s diggers 1.325 double/single pattern with yellow plates and tall alum nuts?? Maybe I can help also....I live next door to ya almost Berwick Me. Let me know :beerchug:

·
Registered
152 Posts
nhrev,

04 MXZ Adrenaline 500SS, 1" track, and I want to stud it w/96 down the middle. I guess I'm looking for 1.075" studs, but after that, I'm fairly clueless. Will need tunnel protectors too. Might have the wifes sled to do too. 04 GSX 500SS.

I'd like to help out too, as I'd like to know how to do this stuff.

Let me know if this is something that you can do. I'm in the Lakes Region here.

Greg

BTW...Are you on the NH sledding site??

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Come on guys haven't got many calls last few days.

With high gas prices why don't youguys let me save you some money and make me a couple bucks?!

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
nhrev....luckyyyyyyyyy! haha looks like things are starting to pick up for you! shit went downhill with prox16s idea of helpin ppl out, if you hear of anyone up this way you know who to call. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Scott, looks like things are going to go decent for me. On top of possibly making a couple bucks looks like I'll meet a couple new riding buddies as well. :div20: :beer: :banana:

Just got done making a little cash tonight on my other mechanical side job, working on trucks and cars. Just did a guys shocks and steering stabilizer on a '91 3/4 ton 'burban. I love wrenching on stuff, find it almost relaxing. :beerchug:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay now that some snow has falling up north guys have got to be getting ready to ride! :banana:

I'll do preseason checks for $40. It'll include:
-Fresh spark plugs (additional $5.00 for triples)
-Grease all fittings
-Check/adjust track
-Check/adjust chain tension
-Top off chaincase and coolant if needed
-Check ski alignment
-Inspect all suspension wheels and bearings
-A general inspection of entire sled

For an additional $15 I'll drain chaincase and visually inspect gears and chain and refill with synthetic fluid. Also for additional fee I'll check for bent/broken studs and replace them as needed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The pre-season check sounds like a great deal. I will PM if i kno when im goin back up to NH to do a few sleds. :banana:

·
Registered
184 Posts
How about disassembling and cleaning clutches? Checking carbs? Cleaning RAVE valves?

Are you willing to show someone how to do it?

Great offer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was wondering are the stud /backers supposed to be crooked and offset ? I took a better look at it and their is allot of crooked backers, I believe I read some where they are supposed to be straight so the corners don`t cut into the track and tear it...Also they are not centered/aligned between the lugs...I had some friends look at it and they did`nt like it at all...Kinda bummed out..

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
Damm ....
I wish you where not so far from me (I am 12 miles West of Nashua)
cus those prices are great ! The place where I bought mine has a
3 week wait and they store the sleds outside (I mean in a fenced
in area with NO overhead covering - you supply your own sled cover).
To top it off the price they gave was way over $100 & might have
been closer or over $200.
Rob .....

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's cool skully, maybe next year! I have a guy coming up from your way soon for sled work, he's from Westford, MA. I'm doing a little more then just a preseason check though.

killer and rev5 I pm'd you.

·
Premium Member
3,831 Posts
Originally posted by nhrev@Nov 17 2005, 09:34 AM
That's cool skully, maybe next year!  I have a guy coming up from your way soon for sled work, he's from Westford, MA.  I'm doing a little more then just a preseason check though.

killer and rev5 I pm'd you.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1016259
[/quote]

Ya I have seen his post. He is not far from me at all.
I'll PM him ....
Rob ....

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by KillerZR900SP@Nov 17 2005, 07:13 AM
I was wondering are the stud /backers supposed to be crooked and offset ? I took a better look at it and their is allot of crooked backers, I believe I read some where they are supposed to be straight so the corners don`t cut into the track and tear it...Also they are not centered/aligned between the lugs...I had some friends look at it and they did`nt like it at all...Kinda bummed out..
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=1015978
[/quote]

Gene, there is no problem at all with the slight crookedness of your backers. I've been doing this a long time, probably logged 20,000 miles on studded sleds......I have only pulled 1 stud through a track ever. I have studded countless friends sleds and have never had any problems.

You run into a problem mainly when you have a square single backer and it loosens and spins around to a diamond shaped position on the track.

For many years there were no commercially available templates, guys eyeballed....and it worked out just fine then too.

Important thing is that its balanced, I like the little bit of variation in studs to make more scratch lines. If everyone was lined perfectly then you might as well have studded it with half the studs cause they are all just going to run in the same groove.

Go look at some race sleds at a grass drag event or ice race and see how perfectly their studs are lined up.......NOT!

99.99999% of track damage from studs is from "throttle cowboys" in marginal snow conditions.

Plus I told you to try the double stud boy power plates like I use, they have rounded corners and tend to be easier on the track then woody's backers, but you wanted yellow ones and only woody's makes the colored backers.

Mike

1 - 20 of 36 Posts