Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 XC 500 SP, 1600 miles, cover, he's asking $2200. All stock except it has a boost bottle, he said to help the low end. Should I stay away from this sled or not worry about it? I would like to put back to stock and adjust carbs. Any thoughts?? Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Originally posted by ari648@Sep 29 2005, 07:57 AM
99 XC 500 SP, 1600 miles, cover, he's asking $2200.  All stock except it has a boost bottle, he said to help the low end.  Should I stay away from this sled or not worry about it?  I would like to put back to stock and adjust carbs.  Any thoughts?? Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=898800
[/quote]

I had '99 XC 500 SP with a boost bottle. That was something that I added. The sled ran great the only thing that I replaced on it was one of the carb boots because it cracked around were the boost bottle went in. The only differnece I saw when I added the bottle was the engine idle increased by about 200 rpm. Just turned the idle down and rode the sh*t out of it. If that deal pan out I have a 02' indy 500 for sale with 783 miles on it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Originally posted by tyler632@Sep 29 2005, 08:29 AM
I had '99 XC 500 SP with a boost bottle. That was something that I added. The sled ran great the only thing that I replaced on it was one of the carb boots because it cracked around were the boost bottle went in. The only differnece I saw when I added the bottle was the engine idle increased by about 200 rpm. Just turned the idle down and rode the sh*t out of it. If that deal pan out I have a 02' indy 500 for sale with 783 miles on it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=898955
[/quote]

Mine cracked the carb boot also. Had the same exact sled. I had one of those aluminum Hot Seat boost bottles. I noticed the cracks when I went to adjust the idle once. My hand bumped the boost bottle when I reached in, and the rpm jumped up slightly. I ended up replacing both carb boots and taking the boost bottle out.

Check the carb boots around where the boost bottle goes in really well. I don't think the boost bottle itself is a major worry. If it is a plastic bottle, I think it is a little less prone to cracking the boots.

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
15,148 Posts
rack carbs correct? if so remove the bottle. Clamp some plastic pipe plugs in the nipple holes, or replace the boots. A very nice 99 xc5 sold at the Grayslake ILL swap meet last saturday for $2300. It had 3,100 miles on it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like the 99 XC is good deal, I will put back to stock and go from there. Thanks for the feedback...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts