Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like alot of you guys have revs so I was looking for all or any suggestions you might have for me on performance work. I want the best of both worlds a great trail sled and one that I can go down to the lake with after a nice long ride and not finish last everytime .How much HP could I get out of this sled and still have it be a good trail sled?

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you go down to the lake such as back lake or somewhere where there are a lot of sleds racing you are going to have to change a few things to be competitive. Most of those sleds are set up for running on the lake and that is why they are out there. You will need a clutch setup that upshifts fast which means no backshift and useless on the trail and I do mean useless. Probably gear a little different based on length running and put on your favorite belt with no trail time on it. Jet for the conditions and you may be competitive but there is always somebody faster trust me.

If you just want to be faster then your buddy when you reach a lake while trail riding then there are a number of mods out there you can do but over the years I have found the hard way a good tuned sled is the best bang for the buck.

Spending money on mods is easy but the fast sleds are the ones people have in there garage and are properly adjusting the belt tension and alignment, track alignment and tension are setup properly,chain is adjusted correctly and running synthetic oil, all bearing on jackshaft and drive shaft are aligned new and greased, all idler wheels in the suspension have good bearings, carbs are syncronized and adjusted correctly from top to bottom. The list goes on and on. People think the easy way to make there sled fast is to spend money on mods but the real secrect is time and effort to setup and fine tune the sled. Everything on the sled can be tuned and setup for optimal performance and that will be the biggest gain you can get out of your sled. Then after every ride you need to check the setups and adjusted as needed. It is a pain in the ass but that is the secrect to being fast.

If you want to spend money on mods in my opionion for a trail sled to be fast on the lake the best bang for the buck is a good clutch kit and something to adjust your jetting automatically such as the tempaflow or dial a jet. I prefer tempaflow but there are other things out there.

I don't have a REV 800 and like another member said the DooTalk forum would have alot of information about that year and engine performance. Just read all the posts and make your own opionions. There are a lot of posters on these sites and not all information is accurate.

Good luck!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,134 Posts
Bickfords has a GREAT trail/lake setup.
head, reeds, pipe clutch. i did this work, it is super all around.

its not going to brake any world records, but its very respectable and reliable.
if i was looking to stricly lake race, then i could mess with my jetting ect, but right now im set up to run like stock. fire it up and go. if the weather changes i will be a little faster or slower, but safe.
and again if we get no snow this year, just ice i will mess with jetting every time out to try to get every HP out of it.
im very happy so far

·
Registered
27 Posts
i would get the 2007 blizzard 800 power tek plenty of power and good trail sled to if you want a left over the the 800 power tek is just as good too

·
Registered
790 Posts
It seems like alot of you guys have revs so I was looking for all or any suggestions you might have for me on performance work. I want the best of both worlds a great trail sled and one that I can go down to the lake with after a nice long ride and not finish last everytime .How much HP could I get out of this sled and still have it be a good trail sled?[/b]

So you are looking for the best of both worlds?
I feel (IMO only) a sled from the factory is set up for a all around performance, Trail, Temps, Altitude, speed.
If you start messing around with after market stuff you may end up with a sled that goes real fast but a dog out of the hole,
if you change something else you might come out of the hole pretty quick but when you are crusing across a lake that a few miles long you might not have any top end?.
So to get the best maybe buy 2 sleds, one to play around with mods and the other to go on some dependable trips.
Just my $.02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts