Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
In North IL Rockford area. 815 329 8717
Thank you Matt
Hope you have better luck than me. i used to be able to post a help wanted ad, get at least 5 or 6 responses 1 or 2 of whom were worth talking to. now I have ads out and the best response I get is from a guy who works at a pizza shop or a guy that emails me saying " my name is joe, my number is xxx-xxxx " Im thinking if they're too lazy to call my shop they're definitely too lazy to do the job.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
I've had real good luck for Tech(s) wanted on Craig's List, believe it or not. Have had some real bad luck too. LOL.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hope you have better luck than me. i used to be able to post a help wanted ad, get at least 5 or 6 responses 1 or 2 of whom were worth talking to. now I have ads out and the best response I get is from a guy who works at a pizza shop or a guy that emails me saying " my name is joe, my number is xxx-xxxx " Im thinking if they're too lazy to call my shop they're definitely too lazy to do the job.
Yes same here times have changed!!:wall:

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
i work for a small gmc dealer in a small ski town. we have been looking for a detailer for over a year. no one even responds

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
There are no good techs coming into the business, it's hard to comprehend what kind of service will be out there in another 10 years.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,921 Posts
There are no good techs coming into the business, it's hard to comprehend what kind of service will be out there in another 10 years.

Yup,
don't think we can even discus the causes, as it may turn into a political rant...

Not sure what its actually like on the auto side, but the level of skill, and knowledge coming out of places like PSI is ridiculous. I wonder if they have classes, or tests, seems like anyone who can pay the tuition gets a diploma

Reactions: rigid1

·
Premium Member
33,218 Posts
Yup,
don't think we can even discus the causes, as it may turn into a political rant...

Not sure what its actually like on the auto side, but the level of skill, and knowledge coming out of places like PSI is ridiculous. I wonder if they have classes, or tests, seems like anyone who can pay the tuition gets a diploma
Most of the trainees I've had, did not belong in the business.
When I got into the field, the type of guy that spun wrenches was that kid who took everything apart as a kid, just to see how it works.
Now they come out of school, with an automotive degree, and actually have to be shown how to use a wrench. Don't know if you check oil with the engine running or off.
They don't have common sense, and don't possess or get taught basic mechanic skills, and all want to sit there in a white lab coat and click their laptop.

At the dealer, we actually had to implement a no cell phone policy for them. Almost impossible to believe that could be needed, but it was a legit problem.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Most of the trainees I've had, did not belong in the business.
When I got into the field, the type of guy that spun wrenches was that kid who took everything apart as a kid, just to see how it works.
Now they come out of school, with an automotive degree, and actually have to be shown how to use a wrench. Don't know if you check oil with the engine running or off.
They don't have common sense, and don't possess or get taught basic mechanic skills, and all want to sit there in a white lab coat and click their laptop.

At the dealer, we actually had to implement a no cell phone policy for them. Almost impossible to believe that could be needed, but it was a legit problem.

Without there cell phone how are they going to google/youtube on how to fix the problem. They don't use books anymore.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
thing is, most consumers have no clue how complicated modern automobiles are. there's more technology today in the cheapest new car you can buy than there was when a 747 was introduced. good techs will (and are) able to name their price today. it's amazing how cheap and naïve consumers are today when you tell them an hourly rate for repair. a modern tech has to know mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and on and on, and the tools (computers, info) required are very costly today. a plumber has to know shit rolls down hill and hot water should be on the left. an electrician has to know hot and ground. no one has a problem paying an electrician or plumber top $ to come to their home or business but will piss and moan when you tell them what it costs to properly diagnose and repair their expensive vehicle. fortunately for me most of our customers 'get it' and those who don't we don't want as customers.

1/2 ton truck is $50K these days, what do you think it should cost to fix it when there's a problem? $50? don't get me started on the idiots who want to bring their own parts, but when was the last time you took a steak to a restraunt and asked them to cook it for you? idiots

there's some kids out there that are bright and hands on, but this next generation entering the work force has no idea what their parents and grandparents endured.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I went to tech school 27 years ago and back then out of a class of 25 there might be 2-3 kids that were actually inclined enough with the right aptitude to succeed!! It was fun though, had Russ Ebert for a teacher.

I've found putting a big colorful "now hiring techs and managers" sign out front really brings the applicants in.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
you would think them u.t.i. grads would be pounding your door down, from the school in wheaton . we get some great kids from there for our local 150 mechanics program . of course great pay and a pension is a great motivator . to become a hard worker .

·
Brand loyal, not brand blind
14,656 Posts
I retired in Jan 2013, after spending 33 years working on squad cars,and most anything else the PD had, and 5 years small shop before that. Didn't have the pressure like a dealer tech or busy indy shop tech, but pretty much seen the evolution of the modern auto. Can't imagine why anyone would want the auto trade for a career now a days.

·
Registered
40,093 Posts
Without there cell phone how are they going to google/youtube on how to fix the problem. They don't use books anymore.
Thats just it, we got a new young guy that gets all his info off youtube when he runs into an issue. One day, he broke the screen on his smart phone....was not a good day.:cry: Never seen anyone that was that lost.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I've been spinning wrenches for 17 years, mostly on heavy trucks and equipment. Working a municipal gig where its everything from lawn mowers to fire trucks and cop cars to front end loaders, I can see the technology is going to be the end of small do it all shops and techs. To cover everything I maintain with service computers would cost a fortune. And when you have one brand x, one brand y and one brand z because they were the lowest bidder at the time, its hard to justify the specialty tools required by them.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts