Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scuffed mag cylinder and piston. I have the piston kit. Are there any cylinders
around for overnight shipping that any one knows of? I am in MI and trying to get back together by friday.

Brad

·
Registered
10 Posts
If this is something that is covered under warranty, why isn't your dealer calling around looking for one for you? Cylinders have been on back order so dealers don't have them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer is looking. I just figure that I will try harder than him to find one avail.

It is not looking good anyway. I am going to ride it with the scuff.

Brad

·
Registered
701 Posts
This is interesting..I have an exhaust temp guage and noticed my mag side will not rise over 900 deg...PTO is around 1200 at hottest and the MAG used to run that hot. I ensured a plug was not starting to foul. Would a scuffed piston act this way? I've been riding it and do not know if I've lost power. It runs fine, and come to think of it, my RPM's are down a little bit from early season riding. Whats the best way to check for the problem you have.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Originally posted by zr8000@Jan 27 2003, 03:17 PM
This is interesting..I have an exhaust temp guage and noticed my mag side will not rise over 900 deg...PTO is around 1200 at hottest and the MAG used to run that hot. I ensured a plug was not starting to foul. Would a scuffed piston act this way? I've been riding it and do not know if I've lost power. It runs fine, and come to think of it, my RPM's are down a little bit from early season riding. Whats the best way to check for the problem you have.
Thanks
900 degrees is low. It's possible the mag side was overheated. It's also possible that the EGT sensor on the mag side is on the fritz. Check motor integrity with a compression check. Both cylinders should read within 10% of each other. The Fcats I've check have a compression reading of 138-143. One had a scuffed piston and overheated rings. It showed 90psi. Seemed to run ok.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just some more info:

I pulled the Y pipe to take a look and saw the scuffed piston. Yes, before you ask, this sled was warmed until the right runningboard cooler was warm. Everytime! During operation I had no indication that the piston was scored. I just got curious after reading too many posts on this forum. Once I saw the piston, I checked compression... PTO about 137psi - mag side about 131psi. It never quit running or seize up. After what the piston and cylinder wall looks like, I was surprised that the compression was as close to PTO side.

I am not happy.

AS far as whinning, Rob, you're a lucky man with the problem free miles.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts