Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Congrats on the new sled looks sweet��,I put 2400 trouble free miles on my 16 viper this year,I do need to replace the sliders,spare belt can sit on top of the clutch guard,good idea to move the fuse box also to the top of the clutch guard cause if you blow a fuse taking that hood off when it's freezing is not fun,I got 19.4 mpg a couple of times,sled will also do mid 90''s and I'm good with that,the hard part is looking at it all summer and waiting for snow.enjoy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Congrats on the new sled looks sweet��,I put 2400 trouble free miles on my 16 viper this year,I do need to replace the sliders,spare belt can sit on top of the clutch guard,good idea to move the fuse box also to the top of the clutch guard cause if you blow a fuse taking that hood off when it's freezing is not fun,I got 19.4 mpg a couple of times,sled will also do mid 90''s and I'm good with that,the hard part is looking at it all summer and waiting for snow.enjoy
Did you install some type of clip to hold the belt on the clutch guard? Or will it just sit there sorta jammed in place when the panel is put back on?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well done,I think you will be very impressed.I'm 6'3" and I like everything about it.[upgrades] mid ht shield,cat ski's w/6" duece bar,JT's 4 wheelkit, 1"more on riser,3600 trouble free mile's.just changed the belt and going to change the hyfax for next year.Ride On.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well I got a 2017 leftover SR Viper L-TX LE for a real decent price. Absolutely shocked that I walked away from Ski-Doo sleds which I have owned and loved over the last 15 years. Even found a local Doo dealer with some leftover '18 Renegade 850 E-TECs that were very tempting. But its time for a change and all my riding buddies are Yamaha guys that have been badgering me for years to give up the 2 stroke and go blue.

Season is already over for any test riding but general comments so far...
Not crazy about the rear bumper having no grab area in the middle for a jack stand.

Not crazy about the riveted spool posts needed on the back deck for the tunnel bag that came with it and how you have to drill them out and remove to install a bigger bag. Both bags should use the posts.

Not thrilled there is apparently no on-board storage for a spare belt and still have no idea how to change it yet if needed.

The windshield that comes with it serves no purpose of wind protection so I replaced it with a low shield with graphics that looks great, added Powermadd hand guards also.

I ordered the console pads being 6'4 I know I will put my shins against them. But they are sorta big and need to be riveted so I found some after market adhesives that color match and should do well.

After reading all the negatives about the tuner skis, I am going to run them as is with Woody's Doolys for next season and see how it goes. If I get push, I'll look into Pilot skis as substitutes. With our standard trail cruising group, I think they will be fine as is.

I learned of something called a "pickle protector" that for $159, adds a billet aluminum plate under the exposed part of the magnesium chain case which I was told can be vulnerable to getting hit and distorted. Doubt with my trail riding this is necessary. Not sure why Yamaha doesn't address this on design if its an issue.

But wow, love the feel of the seating position and the sound of the 4-stroke now that they are piping these out the bottom instead of out the back.
Love the gauge read out and all the easy to set functions.
Love the little storage space in front of the bars and the DC plug for charging phones or a heated shield.
Love I can now go with regular octane gas instead of premium.
Love I am no longer buying gallons of oil to carry with on trips and refill each morning.
Love that I am not worried about motor re-builds at 5k miles.

Photos from pick up day at the dealer and two of these loaded on the trailer as another buddy bought the same thing.

Highlands Yamaha...$8299.00...???...:bc2:

·
Registered
361 Posts
No, Was Rock River Powersports in Wisconsin
I'm surprised their prices were anywhere close to that Highland price I posted. Especially knowing that Highlands never charges Freight or Setup fees.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you install some type of clip to hold the belt on the clutch guard? Or will it just sit there sorta jammed in place when the panel is put back on?
Yes it kinda just sits on the belt guard and the panel will hold it in there. Some guys buy the belt clip and rivet it to the guard.i would move the fuse box and check out totally Yamaha.much better forum for the 4 strokers?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
First ride on my 2017 SR Viper. Was Jan 5 and 6th Lake Gogebic and Bergland, MI area. Conditions were hit or miss, some trails really decent, others rotten. Overall love the Viper. Hard pull from a slow roll up to about 65 mph. After that it works its way up to about 95 mph tops. Not tippy in corners at all, very comfy seat, quiet motor at speed. Did manage to get it hopelessly stuck crossing a drainage ditch that had the snow over it collapse underneath me. Luckily some other riders came along and we were able to drag it out using the tow rope. Not a scratch on it though. Does not seem to be a particularly nimble sled in deep snow, would not take it off trail, will not get to the other side of the lake first but seems to be an excellent long distance trail rider. Good gas mileage too. We managed 230 miles in two days of iffy conditions so it seems broken in now. Headed back up to Gogebic again this weekend for more and excepting much better conditions.

I ended up putting Woody's 6" in the middle and moved the 3" stock carbides to the outsides. Seemed to work really well, no darting and cornered good.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
First ride on my 2017 SR Viper. Was Jan 5 and 6th Lake Gogebic and Bergland, MI area. Conditions were hit or miss, some trails really decent, others rotten. Overall love the Viper. Hard pull from a slow roll up to about 65 mph. After that it works its way up to about 95 mph tops. Not tippy in corners at all, very comfy seat, quiet motor at speed. Did manage to get it hopelessly stuck crossing a drainage ditch that had the snow over it collapse underneath me. Luckily some other riders came along and we were able to drag it out using the tow rope. Not a scratch on it though. Does not seem to be a particularly nimble sled in deep snow, would not take it off trail, will not get to the other side of the lake first but seems to be an excellent long distance trail rider. Good gas mileage too. We managed 230 miles in two days of iffy conditions so it seems broken in now. Headed back up to Gogebic again this weekend for more and excepting much better conditions.

I ended up putting Woody's 6" in the middle and moved the 3" stock carbides to the outsides. Seemed to work really well, no darting and cornered good.
This motor will take close to 1000 miles to be totally broke in. If you like your sled now it will only get better.
:bc:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts