Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting a 2005 M5 still in the crate, great price and I was wondering if it would be a good sled for me. I would love a M6 but short on funds. I am 6ft 1in and weigh about 185lbs. Just concerned that it is a little too small for me. This will be my second sled behind my 1978 Scorpion 440 whip. lol Big difference! Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
What type of riding do you do?

If it is mostly trail riding then, this may not be the sled for you...
Don't get me wrong the M's are a GREAT sled, but there a mountian sled, not a trail sled...

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Coming from the 440 I would think that engine would be just fine for you. It still has plenty of power, what would have been considered more then average not that long ago. I think if you looking for more of a hybrid sled the M5 would work good. Set the stance out as wide as it goes, add some Holtz brackets to fix up the suspension some and the M5 comes with a smaller lug track so that would be fine. The ergos are great on the Ms and can't beat the price of the M5 holdovers.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Ya what redF7sp stated. I am 5'11"s and 185. I felt the bars were 1" too tall with the stock seat and 2"s to low when standing. I gave boss seat my weight and they are making the foam in the seat for my weight. I got the wide top high rise witch has a 3" rise then added a 2" bar riser. Now sitting the bars are 1" lower and standing 2"s higher. Worked about great.

These guys that like to leave their sled totaly stock should get a trail sled for the trails and a mountain sled for the mountians.

In my case the M was 90% of the trail boondock sled I would have made. Lighter and cheeper than the F7 sno-pro. Low gears set (would rather change a helix than gear in the DDrive) ajustable ski stance now with my fire cat Aarms I have the widest ski stance of any arctic cat. ya 50"s total width 48" stance. With the holz kit, wide skis, and boss seat it is going to be the nicest riding sled with 17"s of travel in the back you can ever get. 4"s more than the sno-pro. Wider track bigger foot print the 13.5" Fcat will trench realy realy bad with the tall gears not helping.

Anyway to each their own.......

Swamp you cann't beat the price and weight of the sled. 141 will trail nicely the holz kit just makes what is good ......great. It cost me $87 canadian but worth it in ride. It is a great sled for a young guy like your self till the HP bug bites you. OH ya when you make the deal have your dealer throw in a set of tank pads. Me at 5'11" needed them you will find the first ride out you would like them.

·
Registered
297 Posts
For what is worth, I have a M7 153" and have no complaints about its trail capabilities except it does not like low snow conditions. Ice scratchers should solve that. In my opinion, a 500cc engine is not a bad choice for all around riding. No speed demon or mountain climber, but plenty of power. Remember, the sled if very light so it should feel like it has more power than it does.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are there any big bore kits for the M5? On another forum that I was on someone said that you could get a 720 kit from D&D or speedwerx I can't remember which one.. But they said you could get the big bore because the M5 uses the same bottom end as the 440 race sled.. is this true?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts