Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother is going out to cooke city here in a few weeks. He has a F7snopro. This will be the first time he goes out and it will probably be only once a year. The rest of the time he rides in North Dakota. He is planning on long tracking his F7 how do the 151 1.5 and 144 1.5 do in the MTs what do they compare to. If he went 144 he might leave it on permenatly but the 151 would have to come off the rest of the time around here. How hard is it to put the kit on. Does the cooler get riveted on and would it be possible to use small bolts instead. Any pictures, experience installing, and comments as to how the fcat performs with a long track. How much different would the 144 be compared to a 136 zr is the length going to be really noticeable for around here and will it stand up to jumps and bumps.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by redF7sp@Feb 27 2003, 07:32 PM
My brother is going out to cooke city here in a few weeks. He has a F7snopro. This will be the first time he goes out and it will probably be only once a year. The rest of the time he rides in North Dakota. He is planning on long tracking his F7 how do the 151 1.5 and 144 1.5 do in the MTs what do they compare to. If he went 144 he might leave it on permenatly but the 151 would have to come off the rest of the time around here. How hard is it to put the kit on. Does the cooler get riveted on and would it be possible to use small bolts instead. Any pictures, experience installing, and comments as to how the fcat performs with a long track. How much different would the 144 be compared to a 136 zr is the length going to be really noticeable for around here and will it stand up to jumps and bumps.
144 inch track has down really well in Idaho. One thing to remember is that our sleds have the high altitude kits in them, which means there was a gear change, not sure, but it will be on the sticker under his hood, I believe it is on the right side as you are looking at the sled on the firewall

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i figured that. What would you compare it to somewhere between a 136 and 144 mtn cat. Also I would love to see some close up pics.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Originally posted by redF7sp@Feb 27 2003, 07:52 PM
Yeah i figured that. What would you compare it to somewhere between a 136 and 144 mtn cat. Also I would love to see some close up pics.
No pictures sorry.

Somewhere between the MC 800 144" and the MC900 151"

It will do the job for most people.

There was places this last weekend that I went up in my MC900, and the F7 128" made it up the second time.

With the 144" you will be able to go most places you have the balls to ride. The big difference you will see between the 900 and the F7 144" is the F7 will need to be WOT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an f 7 with a 144 inch kit installed by dealer. Last week in Stanley , Id. it out highmarked my son-in -laws 800 MC. he was as surprised as I was. My group included stock 700 and 800 RMKs. No one could out climb me except an 800 RMK really tricked out. longtracking the f7 is a great idea. Cost was $1000 which included installation.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks karllutz. You don't happen to have a digital camera you could take some closeups with. I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
i just put a 144 on mine. It is not like the sleds of years past where you can slap on the rail ext, tunnel and go. There is ALOT to swap these back and forth. If you are going to leave it long do it. If you are going to use it once year... i dont know. There are lots of rivits (you will see the holes after putting it short again). I have rode i out west 2 times this year short. If its baseless pow, he will have problems. If there is a little setup snow you will have alot of fun. w/1.375 track

The kit is very well thought out. Bolt/rivet it on and go, but like i said it does take some time to do. One other thought is the price for the 1.5x13.5 tracks. Once you buy it, it will be hard to unload, and only for the f-cats.

Pat

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zrefirider can you get me any closeup pictures of the install. Also were did you get a 2inch track and what all did you have to do to make it fit. Different tooth drivers ? Thanks for the information and anymore would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
ill post some pics next week (no camera here). I cut down a full size track. I want to see for myself the longevity of it. You can by the 144 tracks fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats what I was wondering my dealer said one of the guys from around here had done that to. I'm going to get his phone number and were going to go check his out I think.

·
Registered
41 Posts
2 inch tracks are custom cut only right now and you have to run 9 tooth drivers. I installed extrovert drivers in mine. I still have to lower rear suspension mount to gain more tunnel clearance. Go with the factory 1.5 track. It will be an easier install especially if you only ride mountains once in a while.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Originally posted by brianscathouse@Feb 28 2003, 04:47 PM
2 inch tracks are custom cut only right now and you have to run 9 tooth drivers. I installed extrovert drivers in mine. I still have to lower rear suspension mount to gain more tunnel clearance. Go with the factory 1.5 track. It will be an easier install especially if you only ride mountains once in a while.
There is never any snow in MN, so i will leave i long until next year. Trimmed a 144x2 and notched it. Snow evacuation isnt real good, but you dont know unless you try. Not like i can ride in MN anyway. It cant trench anyworse that the 1.375.
tracks are cheap, i dont know how it will work, but what the hell, ill give it a try.
I dont know if it pays to by a trail sled in MN anymore.

Pat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
How does the 144 handle when your not in the mountains? Like bummpy, twistty trails. I am thinking about snow checking a Sabercat with EXT just because we ride ungroomed trails.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
I will be out in WY on the 20th of this month. With only 175 trail miles in MN this year i couldnt tell you. :angry:

850 miles in WY this year. :D

IMO, as long as you arent a super agressive trail rider, the EXT package is be NICE! Longer skid smoothes alot out and the extra bit will be nice.

Pat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just installed1 151 1.5 kit on mine, real clean app. but a real bit*h on the side rails. Had to split the side panels off. The worst of the bunch were the rivets in the side foot rest and underneath at the bottom of the foot rest and up through the tunnel, as well as the side rails. Got more pics if ya needum.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Heres a pic with the side rail removed, and side pan split away. Would highly suggest making da*n sure the rails are secured very well to hoses, or resealing them could take a while....

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 1.5" does so well on the firecat that you realy dont need the 2" B) The bigger drivers letts you keep a good top end and good track speed and cleens out real well.
144 kit uses the same tunnel extension as the 151 so it looks a little funny to me :unsure: (no offence) but 151 is a bit "point and shoot" for the trails :blink: but man it rocks in the deep stuff
And I also agree that its alot of work to convert back and forth, and your seat bolt would be out in the open area when long tracked (you cut it off normally for the long track)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Originally posted by Swamp Dart@Mar 5 2003, 01:03 AM
The 1.5" does so well on the firecat that you realy dont need the 2" B) The bigger drivers letts you keep a good top end and good track speed and cleens out real well.
144 kit uses the same tunnel extension as the 151 so it looks a little funny to me :unsure: (no offence) but 151 is a bit "point and shoot" for the trails :blink: but man it rocks in the deep stuff
And I also agree that its alot of work to convert back and forth, and your seat bolt would be out in the open area when long tracked (you cut it off normally for the long track)
The Fcat isnt very good inthe snow. The 1.5 does so well you dont need a 2"?????? You are way off base.

The drivers effect attack angle. It has nothing to do with top end, gears are control that. The narrow track is a trench monster. I cut down my tunnel & rail ext. cause thought it looked a little odd @151.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts