Hardcore Sledder banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,457 Posts
I had a 05 XC 800 I 136ed. Traction was night and day over a 121. On trail never noticed a difference. If you want to do top end runs on the lake I'd go for 136 hacksaw with studs. A deeper lug will slow you down on the top end. Short runs a taller track is better.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Not sold on c&a skis, a buddy ran them, can't recall what model he had, i think he said they were razors or something, but said the steering was very heavy and took too much effort after a long trail day, wished for something else. He put some slp slt skis on his 136 stretch prox...says its the best improvement you can do for a sled thats been stretched to 136. I took his advice for my 121'' edge and ordered a bunch of the skis components .....we'll see next season what difference they make compared to the stock skis which i was perfectly happy with till one cracked pretty good.
can't speak on the razors , I know the mtx c and a's are like you said, brutal steering effort. the c and a trail skis 6 ' wides with a 6 ' cardbide are as near a perfect balance ive ever felt in a set of skis.made my 144 rail like a 121 and the effort wasn't brutal at all.

its all in the thickness of keel.I love my c and a trails.wouldn't go back to a factory edge ski .wouldn't consider it.(hence my other thread about switching my dragons over to my switch before I sell the dragon).

I still have a set of 7 ' powder hounds I picked up a month ago that I may try also.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,457 Posts
SLP powder pros on my edge worked great on trail and off.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
Don't know about all c&a's or newer ones but i saw a hard seasons results on an older pair where the ski bolt mounting holes were all egged out in the skis plastic where they mount to the plate, making the skis sloppy, basically junk. I wasn't impressed.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Don't know about all c&a's or newer ones but i saw a hard seasons results on an older pair where the ski bolt mounting holes were all egged out in the skis plastic where they mount to the plate, making the skis sloppy, basically junk. I wasn't impressed.
seen no sign of it on both pairs ive owned? maybe they didn't use the proper sized bolt?:dunno:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well I guess I'll either look for a 136 or I'll keep it 121 dont think I wanna lose top end. We race on flat fields about 1/4 mile so I dont think it would be worth it. I'll probably save the money and time and just keep the 121 I got. If i want a longer one i could just buy a different sled. Made with a 144 and maybe reverse too. I will look for some skis later on I'm happy with how she rides now.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
Well I guess I'll either look for a 136 or I'll keep it 121 dont think I wanna lose top end. We race on flat fields about 1/4 mile so I dont think it would be worth it. I'll probably save the money and time and just keep the 121 I got. If i want a longer one i could just buy a different sled. Made with a 144 and maybe reverse too. I will look for some skis later on I'm happy with how she rides now.
in a 1/4 you wouldn't lose much i wouldnt think.

if top end is paramount go with a low lug height track , like a 1 inch or less and a few picks.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
Yeah, if doing speed runs back in the day, we ran a 1/2'' lug or tracks with lugs cut down to that with hooker setups on our trail sleds.

·
Registered
16,813 Posts
So I think itll haul its self up too 100 pretty easy.
with stock clutching, my 02 xc800 struggled to even break 100 mph on long pulls. Tach showed 8300+ so it was overpowering the stock setup.
More agressive weights cured that -ended up with SLP MTX weights at 74 grams with an epi red 145-300 spring. Those weights really put the meaty midrange to good use, while still retaining good backshift.
Even better after putting on a SLP single + a slp 50-34 in the secondary.

As for track, I replaced my stock 1.25" shochwave with a 1.25x136 Ripsaw - the shorter shockwave performed just as good if not better in looser snow, the ripsaw great on hardpack. The fully clipped ripsaw appeared to have less rolling resistance than the stock clipped every 3rd track.

It also seems that the uncoupled 144 skids goes good at top end - more favorable track approach angle..?

skis: I put on SLP SLT skis on mine and never looked back. My favorite skis for 121" sleds

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
A buddy has a 136 1.25''lug camoplast predator on his 04 800 prox thats stretched with the edge skid/rails. Cheap and dirty. That sled rips.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
with stock clutching, my 02 xc800 struggled to even break 100 mph on long pulls. Tach showed 8300+ so it was overpowering the stock setup.
More agressive weights cured that -ended up with SLP MTX weights at 74 grams with an epi red 145-300 spring. Those weights really put the meaty midrange to good use, while still retaining good backshift.

As for track, I replaced my stock 1.25" shochwave with a 1.25x136 Ripsaw - the shorter shockwave performed just as good if not better in looser snow, the ripsaw great on hardpack. The fully clipped ripsaw appeared to have less rolling resistance than the stock clipped every 3rd track.

It also seems that the uncoupled 144 skids goes good at top end - more favorable track approach angle..?

skis: I put on SLP SLT skis on mine and never looked back. My favorite skis for 121" sleds
x2 on the 144 skids being fast in the edges.Been my experience as well.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts

Good to hear on the skis....a buddy recommended them to me after buying a set for his stretch 136 pro x. He swears by them after having a set of c&a's.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts