Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is going to sound stupid but if I have a stock 121in track. And i clutch and upgrade my motor on a 03 800 xcsp would it go faster on the big end? In theory its would make sense to put a 136 or a 144 on it but I'm just wondering. My buddy and I dont agree. My thought is that on take off it would have more grip less slip. And on the big end it should go faster due to a longer track. Like a bigger tire. Would it be better to get a team secondary too? That's just my thought. Any opinions would be great.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
As long as the traction issues with a 121'' track are addressed, i've never seen a longer/extended track sled as a stock xc 800 with the same hp have more top end...cover the first couple hundred ft quicker...yes. There's a bunch of mods you can do to make a sled chassis like that making it faster. I'll say any sled you install a longer track will ride better and have better flotation/traction.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
much better acceleration, considering the bigger footprint. top end should at best stay close to the same, but if anything you'll lose some top speed.

in all likelihood, you would increase the acceleration even more to take better advantage of the better traction , by gearing down and clutch it more aggressively, since you were not going to pull the stock gearing even in stock track length,you will be leaving a little performance on the table by not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's going to have slp high flo intake, reeds, balanced crank, cheater heads, tempa flow , twin pipes. So I think itll haul its self up too 100 pretty easy.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
It's going to have slp high flo intake, reeds, balanced crank, cheater heads, tempa flow , twin pipes. So I think itll haul its self up too 100 pretty easy.
800 xc should pull that anyway stock pretty well.my 600s pull 90 mph or so on gps on 1000 feet stock with a 144 (clutching , gearing, jetting)

·
Super Moderator
36,394 Posts

"balanced crank" don't waste your money.

BTW, you'll usually lose some top end with a longer track due to rotating mass weight.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
BTW, you'll usually lose some top end with a longer track due to rotating mass weight.
As mentioned on another post I sent, get an auxiliary cooler or the 800 won't last with twin pipes.
In theory the shorter the LUG of track the higher MPH it will go on hard pack snow as XCR mentioned its lighter and it also pumps less air, you need to balance the track lug height with the number & length of studs.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct it will get a cooler in the rear. I was going to send the cases out to indy Dan. But I just thought it should pull better from the start with a bigger footprint and more track on the ground. Less slipping at the beginning.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's a balance of track length, track lug, track width and # of studs & length when it comes to traction. It comes down to clutching to put all of the mentioned to proper use. I've seen 121" beat 136/144" but I've also seen 136/144" smoke 121",s. If you want to go to 136/144 go for it, I think we're just saying that its all in the set up buddy.
Here are some numbers so you can see the difference in footprint per size.

121/136/144 tracks using 2.52" drive pitch

121” - 48 total rows of lugs – 16.86 lugs on ground
128” – 51 total rows of lugs – 17.85 lugs on ground
136” - 54 total rows of lugs - 19.87 lugs on ground
144” - 57 total rows of lugs – 22.62 lugs on ground
Cheers

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
"balanced crank" don't waste your money.

Yeah, its worse wasting money than porting the cases. I'd definitely balance both clutch's best as possible. Get the aux. rear cooler, your motor will thank you.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
Thanks. It makes more sense now seeing that chart. Should I get a team secondary or just get a helix for my stock seconday.
Imo, its very hard to beat the old button secondary when it comes to a combined bunch of drag races and top end. I've gotten to really like the tied roller, but its more difficult to dial in. A buddy has been experimenting with one for a few years on his 04 prox 800 thats stretched to a 136. For a stock 800 thats stretched it hauls the mail pretty well. You try to pry any setup info on that tied secondary he runs, you have a better chance seeing a sasquatch.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
ive never had em myself, but for the old button clutch they say a hotseat 36 or 34 x is the ticket if you can find one.

finding the 50-34 x hotseat is just as likely as finding a sasquatch too though.

·
Registered
20 850 Assault
2,457 Posts
This is going to sound stupid but if I have a stock 121in track. And i clutch and upgrade my motor on a 03 800 xcsp would it go faster on the big end? In theory its would make sense to put a 136 or a 144 on it but I'm just wondering. My buddy and I dont agree. My thought is that on take off it would have more grip less slip. And on the big end it should go faster due to a longer track. Like a bigger tire. Would it be better to get a team secondary too? That's just my thought. Any opinions would be great.
What are your plans for this sled? Drag racing? General trail? This would have a big influence on how I would set it up.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
ive never had em myself, but for the old button clutch they say a hotseat 36 or 34 x is the ticket if you can find one.

finding the 50-34 x hotseat is just as likely as finding a sasquatch too though.
Guys here ran the old polaris R49 for trails and the hsp 36x when doing drags.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm mainly going for the need of speed. I wanna race some guys around here in the flat lands. But I want to feel like I got a mean machine. One that can run with the big dogs. I just wondered if I'd make a reasonable gain going to a 144. I know a guy who has one new cheap. But if not no big deal. After all the info I see it would slow me down if not done perfectly. But to have handling for trails it might be nice to have .

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
I'm mainly going for the need of speed. I wanna race some guys around here in the flat lands. But I want to feel like I got a mean machine. One that can run with the big dogs. I just wondered if I'd make a reasonable gain going to a 144. I know a guy who has one new cheap. But if not no big deal. After all the info I see it would slow me down if not done perfectly. But to have handling for trails it might be nice to have .
I guess best question to ask then is , if you did want to race other sleds, what kinda distance are you talking?

if 660 to 1000 ft id say its a big advantage in the extra track , if running a full 1/4 mile or longer, a hindrance.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
I wouldn't stretch it to a 144 for general trail riding unless you plan a lot of off trail.

·
Premium Member
4,985 Posts
yeah if handling is something you want to improve more then acceleration, youd be much better off with a decent aftermarket skis like c and a's.

·
Registered
39,556 Posts
Not sold on c&a skis, a buddy ran them, can't recall what model he had, i think he said they were razors or something, but said the steering was very heavy and took too much effort after a long trail day, wished for something else. He put some slp slt skis on his 136 stretch prox...says its the best improvement you can do for a sled thats been stretched to 136. I took his advice for my 121'' edge and ordered a bunch of the skis components .....we'll see next season what difference they make compared to the stock skis which i was perfectly happy with till one cracked pretty good.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts