Hardcore Sledder banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on going on my first 1500 mile three day trip. Any tips from anybody would be greatly appreciated. I am starting from my door and returning to my door. (on sled)

The advice on what i am looking for is what to and not to pack. Amount of oil to pack and so on.

This is when i wished i owned a four stroke. Less things to worry about.

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
what type of storage will you have on the sled?How much can you carry?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be using the trunk bag and a back pack. I might borrow a set of saddle bags if one of the other guys i ride with wimp out.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
also,I'd assume your gonna be on some wicked fast trails to pull off the 500 miles a day for three straight days,Whats the terrain like and have you looked at the forecast for the days your planning on being out there.That will determine the type of clothing to bring.Is there alot of towns and traffic that you'll be dealing with or is this some remote riding?

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Your gonna need at least 2 gallons of oil. You can buy that on the trail. I bring extra tools, leatherman, tow strop, saw, first-aid kit, extra gloves. I use saddlebags as wellas the F7 trunk bags and windshield bags. Bring some power bars to munch. Yeah your gonna need clothes and a cell phone and don't forget your charger. PLENTY OF CASH AND A CREDIT CARD.

·
Registered
696 Posts
All the maps you can get your hands on. Make darn sure you're route is set. On a 1500 mile trip, It's good to know where help is before you need it!
Other than that...dry gloves & socks. If you get wet underwear, bring fresh of that too! :lol:
Belt and plugs for sure, and like CatMan2 says...plenty of $$$$$$$$$$$$ :rolleyes:
Have fun!

·
Registered
676 Posts
If you are going with a couple guys try to make sure you all don't bring the same tools, this way you can have a better selection.

Flashlight
matches
bungie cord your luggage down so you don't loose your stuff on the trail.
duct tape or electrical tape.
alternate over night accomendations in case you run into trouble.

Have fun 500 miles a day, good luck you will need it. Ride safe!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
You might want to rethink the back pack idea.....
Use saddlebags as much as possible... handlebars and windshield bags also work great. The back pack will be a heavy pain that can cause you a serious headache and you don't need that on a trip..... Been there done that.
Take it from me.... equip your sled with saddlebags and ride in comfort.

Enjoy
:D

·
Registered
721 Posts
do not wear a backpack it will wear you out quickly.tie saddlebags on the rear runningboards :ph34r: :ph34r: :D B) :p :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Make sure you check location along the way of dealers in case you need repairs that you can't make on the trail. Buy one of those plastic tow buddys in case track would lock up on one of your sleds, happened to us last week after spring broke, what a mess 25 miles from nowhere. Good luck and enjoy the trip... g.

·
Registered
978 Posts
make sure u someone ur exact route and check in with them at the end of each night... also make sure u have a calling card saddle bags, wear ur warm socks closest to ur skin with ur whites on the outside...switch gloves with someone if ur hands get cold.. even if there hands were cold it ill help to warm them both up

·
Registered
198 Posts
500 miles/day. You must be trying to set some kind of personal record. Don't plan on sleeping much as you won't have time. 35 mph average with stops included is a pretty good average to figure traveling. Watch out for phantom gas stops, especially at night in remote areas. Space blanket for emergencies, siphon hose, compass, Preparation H, and dump the back pack. Let the sled do the lugging. Good luck. I doubt 5% of the sledders on this site have ever done a single 500 mile day so please let us know how you make out. AND, be careful out there.

·
Registered
978 Posts
yeah and if u get desperate, the roads always an option...haha we've done that b4 many times

never refuse gas, if ur half way to ur next stop and u only burned a quarter of a tank, get fuel neways!!!! the next most important thing we been bringing is drive bearings, it seems liek they go every other weekend

have fun, be careful

HAND AND FOOT WARMERS (the kind in the orange package)
DUCT TAPE

K

·
0 Posts
The most miles I've ever ridden in a "day" was 435 miles and this was in Northern Quebec on perfect trails. We started at 7a.m. and ended at 11p.m. This is a journey not to be undertaken lightly. Please be aware of safety issues, i.e. gas stops, trail intersections, general awareness, not riding fatigued etc. I am in no way trying to discourage your plan but please be careful and bring spare belt, plugs, oil, matches, space blanket, tools etc. Have a great journey and please ride sober!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts