Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching the Kitchener news tonight and they did a piece on the snowmobiler accidents in the last 2 days.

They mentioned the 2 deaths on Lake Simcoe, the 18 year old who died outside of Millbank (struck a piece of farm equipment), an accident in Cambridge, accident in Listowel and another in Elmira(snowmobiler hit a moving car?).

I'm mentioning it because I was suprised at the tone of the story. It wasn't as negative as most I've seen. They interviewed an OPP officer who stated that these accidents were not on maintained trails and riding at hi speed on unknown terrain was more the cause. They interviewed a couple of sledders who said how snowmobiling was a great family sport. They did a short piece on vehicle safety at a local dealer ship (with Rob Kuchma, Tri-City Cycle). Graham Snyder had a small piece about staying on the trails and watching your speed to make it safe for all.

So many times the press seams to vocus on the blood and gore, and the danger of the sport. They paint us all out to be reckless. It was nice to see an open view with more information.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What happened with the accident in Cambridge Blackstar? Was it on the trail?[/b]
They didn't seams to have much info on that one, seamed like it had just happened and they only knew that he was injured. I'm looking for more.

The story about the sled that hit the moving car, they showed clips from the scene. It was an XP sitting at the side of the road.

·
Registered
201 Posts
BlackStar,

I also caught the news tonight, the one you missed was a guy in Elmira who hit a moving/parked? car. There wasn't any injury but I think he was taken to hospital for observation. I also thought they did an great job on giving a positive on the sport even though there were plenty of accidents this past week. Must be hard on the families that's for sure.

Woops you beat me to it. From those clips it didn't look like the guy riding the XP was really out for riding considering her was wearing pajama pants?

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Unfortunately, this is NOT the kind of coverage snowmobiling needs!!! And it IS the coverage we get all to often.

My condolences to all the families...... Play safe out there guys!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts