Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone does to load there sled on the trailer and truck, looking to build some type of ramps but dont know which way is best, anyone got a way that is easy and convienent? Dont know wether to use 3 seperate ramps or one big full ramp, trying to think of one of those ways that when ppl see u do it they go oh look at that,i want one of those,know what i mean?
So what does everyone do or use?

·
Registered
956 Posts
If i'm the only one to use my trailer then i'll just back my truck to a snow bank and use that. But if 2 of us use the trailer, it tilts so drive it up.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Usually just lift the front ontp the bed of the truck than get off and lift the back up and push than tie it down, if not I use a snowbank.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm using no less than four ramps, because I was unable to find a proper sled ramp around here. I have two aluminum ramps like you would use for loading a quad, which I push together in the middle of the tailgate for the track of the sled. For the skis, I built two ramps with iron "ramp-ends" you can find at peavy mart or princess auto and two 2x8"s. I screwed a 1x4" onto each outside edge of the ski ramps to keep the skis straight when loading, and also screwed a metal tie down ring to the back of each ski ramp. I use four motorcycle tie downs to secure all four ramps to the truck, and attach the ends of the tie-downs to where your safety chains attach on the hitch. It works pretty good as long as you have a bit of momentum; although the aluminum loading ramps have rungs on them, the track doesn't get much traction. I plan on mounting some pieces of old rubber track to the aluminum ramps for more traction, and have a few ideas for modifying the ski ramps so they are spaced properly, right now, when I have all four ramps snug against each other, its not quite wide enough for some newer sleds, which means the ski ramps are taking a beating, but wood is cheap. I've seen there are some manufactured ramps purposely made for sleds, but was unable to find anyone in Sask. that carries them. I'll post some pics later if anyone is interested, I'm quite proud of the fact I can load and unload my sled on level ground without back-breaking effort.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have that trifold one (or one very similar...mine says "Fulton" on it). It's at least 7 years old now, still works perfect. One piece, fold-up, light and easy enough for one person to handle, very heavy duty. I added plywood to the ski sections for handling the carbide (almost time to replace that plywood as it's getting pretty chewed up now), but unlike their picture, I left the center rungs open for traction and I'm glad I did. I also welded up a "ladder rack" that's custom fit for the folded ramp and sits in the stake pocket of the bedsides. This gives me a convenient and secure place to hold the ramp during transport.

I have no regrets and would buy it again. I'd recommend buying the "long" version...the longer the better. 80 inches or more. It's a very steep ride up into the back of most pickups with a ramp that is too short.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that looks like the best deal ive seen yet, thanks guys, i was also thinking about where im going to put it when my skidoo is on the truck, but i guess when i buy them and put the sled on ill find somewhere to mount them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
if its just your sled to worry about, just back up to a snow bank and drive in. thats what i do

·
Registered
255 Posts
a snowbank works great. only problem is there are only there for a short while

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
One place tilt trailer would be great IF you had a place to keep it.

Ramps look like the best choice, especially when you have to drive to the snow. No snowbanks around here to drive up, once in the whitestuff though snowbanks would be the easiest way :thumbsup:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have an open 2 place trailer that I normally only have one sled on depending on where I am makes the decision on how I load, with no snow I tip the trailer up, If there is snow banks then I load over the snowbank. I used to load into the back of my old 1500 Dodge but found that too hard without a good ditch or snowbank and all of my friends are smaller and or not as strong as I am, I could lift my half onto the tailgate and the other side wouldn get there. I will always have a trailer to haul my sled around but have also been thinking about a sled deck for the next truck.

·
Premium Member
31,899 Posts
drive down the street keeping an eye out for the cops then off in the fields. or if i trailer to the cabin i pull a pin and tilt the trailer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's my steel version of the wooden one works great and it's easy to lift up yourself.

To bad my sled's a bit too long (correction my bed's to short a sled can't be too long :ylsuper: ) but it's working

1 - 17 of 17 Posts