Hardcore Sledder banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a couple of hours to kill on Wed. so I thought I would try to leave from my inlaws, something I have not tried in a couple of years due to low snow conditions over x-mas. They live in Littleton on the side of Parker Mt. The trail from their house to the top of the mountain had only been broken by snowshoers but it made for a pretty good base. Probably 10-15" on the ground. This trail can be poor in the best of years due to the fact that the trail also acts as stream during runoff. So the usual tall rock poked its head through the snow but nothing that wasn't navigatble. Once to the top of Parker Mountain I discovered that some extensive logging was underway but after threequaters of a mile of poking around I was able to find the trail on the northwest corner of the logging operation. After getting back on the connector trail I encountered the expected blow-down, open waterbar and stream but par for the course for breaking a trail that has not been ridden this year. After a mile or so of breaking and clearing this connector trail I made my way to Corr. 5. A real sense of acheivement. Simple things for simple minds.

Once on Corridor 5 approximately 2 miles north of Littleton's main street by the way a bird fly's, I found myself on a rock solid groomer. Probably 6" of solid base. This was a pleasant suprise considering all the rain they had just received several days prior. From there I headed north to Whitefield on trails I would give a 3-4 out of 10 rating. There were numerous waterbars and the rock solid snow and ice caused extreme darting, so 30-40 were the max speeds. Once underway, I came to many trail intersections that were not signed making quick navigation difficult for the rider new to the area or in my case not traveling on those trails in many years. After making a quick loop through Whitefield and Dalton I headed back to Littlefield with 40 miles. Not many miles but when you only have a couple of hours anything will do.
I'm heading back up on Friday so i will give you an update on Sat. if the new snow has helped out any. I plan on riding from littleton toward jefferson/milan and hopefully through pitts.

Happy Hollidays

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you very much for taking the time to post the trail conditions. I'm from western Mass. and am heading to Bethlehem on Sunday for a few days - hoping for more snow before then!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thanks for the info. I got a place in Dalton and PM'd you asking about the Dalton trails.
Thank you very much for taking the time to post the trail conditions. I'm from western Mass. and am heading to Bethlehem on Sunday for a few days - hoping for more snow before then![/b]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts